autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: help with sea foam

Quote Originally Posted by rider9195 View Post
    I used seafoam in my oil and vacuum line. My results, fouled spark plugs and now my car has a hesitation at 2100 RPM.

I noticed no difference in feel on my 55k mile car. Unless you don't change your oil regulary or your car has over 100k miles I wouldn't bother.

Also follow the instructions. It says something like x amount of seafoam to x amount of gas.

Did you change the plugs?

Post Thanks / Like

never had any harm using Seafoam in gas, but I much prefer BG 44k. Just seems like a notable difference in feel and gas mileage after its use. And yes I use top tier fuel only.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Sea Foam will clean about ANYTHING! I put it in my gas tank, a little in the oil and run it through my brake booster vacuum line about once a year, but this will cause a misfire and trigger your check engine light. Just go to Autozone or some place similar and have it reset.
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbull2984 View Post
    Did you change the plugs?
    Not yet. Funny thing is that I got a check engine light yesterday and now I have to take to the dealer to see what it is. And now that I see this post again I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with the plugs. I hope so because anything else on my car isn't cheap.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

For your Audi, according to the online maintenance schedule, your spark plugs should be "replaced at 35,000 miles or 3 years, whichever occurs first. Then, every 40,000 miles or 3 years, whichever occurs first." I'm guessing, based on the year of your car that it's close to 100K, so it may be time for a tune up?

So, if you're running a little rough and mileage is dipping, I'd look to replace the plugs AND your coil packs. I used to have an A4 and I had a rough idle and a couple of the coil packs needed to be replaced. Not cheap for the parts, but you can do it if you have a socket wrench and extension to save on labor. Take a peek at one of the Audi forums, I'm sue you'll find the exact info you need.

As far as answering your original question: if you pour the whole can of Seafoam into your gas tank, it will not blow up your engine or make it die. Follow the directions on the can and you'll be fine. Just don't expect it to fix it if you need scheduled maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually Ac, it only has about 26,000 miles on it the only things I have replaced were the belt the brakes and the windshield wipers
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    Actually Ac, it only has about 26,000 miles on it the only things I have replaced were the belt the brakes and the windshield wipers
    Wow! That's really low miles. Lucky guy. That car needs to be driven. You probably have some sediment in the fuel tank from the car sitting & not being driven frequently. The seafoam could help a little. Won't know till you give it a try. Even though the miles are low, I'd still have it looked at by an honest mechanic you know or a solid one who comes highly recommended. Due to age and not miles driven, you could have some dry rot on a vacuum hose somewhere or some minor corrosion on one of the coil packs. I'd take it to someone who knows these cars through-and-through and pay him for a thorough inspection to get a check list of maintenance items that need to be taken care of now or in the near future.

And since this is a detailing forum I suggest cleaning up your engine bay (if you haven't already). Take a look at this: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...fessional.html

Your mechanic will thank you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123