autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

XMT 360 tough to clean from pads

I used some XMT 360 for the first time last night with a green LC ccs pad. After I finished I sprayed the pad as usual with the pinnacle pad cleaner and let it sit for about 15 minutes, agitated it and then ran it under hot water to rinse. Unfortunately the pad still looks dirty (after using the cleaner, agitating and rinsing 3 times) and when i rinse the pad it still feels "oily". Is there another cleaner I can use to try and get the pad clean?

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: XMT 360 tough to clean from pads

XMT 360 is not water soluble, like most compounds and polishes, so it may be a little more difficult to remove from the pad.

I would recommend spraying a liberal amount of XMT Pad Cleaner onto the pad and after letting it sit for five minutes, thoroughly rinse it out under a stream of hot water and wring the pad out often. This will take a little bit longer, but it should be more effective.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Ipsdrew View Post

Unfortunately the pad still looks dirty (after using the cleaner, agitating and rinsing 3 times) and when i rinse the pad it still feels "oily". Is there another cleaner
    Just to note, the problem you're bringing up is a good thing...

If it's difficult to remove the wax out of your buffing pad that's an indicator it's going to be difficult to remove the wax (or whatever the protection product is), off of your car.

Now if the XMT 360, (or whatever the wax or paint sealant is), rinse off easily from your buffing pad that would be an indicator that it would also come off your car easily.

Kind of good thing/bad thing issue...

Post Thanks / Like

Love when you post that Mike, and it seems you post it often.

Everyone wants these products to last long but are quick to be concerned about it not removing from pads. Like you said, it sure is a good indicator that the product will protect the paint for a while.
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by LuxuryMobile View Post
    Love when you post that Mike, and it seems you post it often.

Everyone wants these products to last long but are quick to be concerned about it not removing from pads. Like you said, it sure is a good indicator that the product will protect the paint for a while.
    Yeah... if it's hard to wash out of a pad when you're actually trying to remove it and it's difficult it certainly isn't going to rinse off the car in the rain...

The OP has a legitimate point though... XMT 360 is hard to wash out of pads...

Post Thanks / Like

The 360 wiped off the car with ease, no problems there. After I finished the pad didn't have any product caked into the pores, but when i went to ring out the pad after rinsing it my hands felt "oily" like there was still product deep in the pad. I'm not so much concerned with the pad "looking dirty", more concerned that there may be product that will dry in the pad and cause issues the next time around.
    Does the DP pad rejuvenator work better for non-water soluble polishes/waxes vs. the XMT polishing pad cleaner i'm currently using?

Post Thanks / Like

I recently used my Flex and XMT 360 on a GMC Yukon (humongous vehicle). I used DP Pad Cleaner (power form), let the white foam pad sit in a warm water solution for about 30 minutes, rubbed and rinsed the pad for several minutes and let air dry. No problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ipsdrew View Post
    The 360 wiped off the car with ease, no problems there. After I finished the pad didn't have any product caked into the pores, but when i went to ring out the pad after rinsing it my hands felt "oily" like there was still product deep in the pad. I'm not so much concerned with the pad "looking dirty", more concerned that there may be product that will dry in the pad and cause issues the next time around.
    Does the DP pad rejuvenator work better for non-water soluble polishes/waxes vs. the XMT polishing pad cleaner i'm currently using?
    I have found that soaking pads in Snappy does the trick
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed that using the XMT pad conditioner XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner by Pinnacle For your dual action or rotary polisher. helps quite a bit when it comes time to clean up. I've mainly noticed it with the Meguiar's MF pads where I spray the pads before use. Then upon letting them soak in water for just a few and using a foam pad brush, they clean up rather nicely.
    Trent
    PRD

Post Thanks / Like

APC at 4:1 usually takes XMT 360 out of pads for me (majority of it anyway). or maybe a soak in the wolfgang polishing pad cleaner (got a sample awhile ago)

I think part of the trick is just switching pads frequently with this product. Even with cleaning the pad on the fly it still does get kinda gummy in there eventually. at which point I think its best to change to a new pad and soak the used one
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc. - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast