autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

PBW Professional Polish

I've read that PBW pro polish has no abrasives in it. I've also read that it's pad dependent. How does something without abrasives become pad dependent?

Are most polishes considered a "pre-wax" cleaner. I know I've read an article I think written by Mike to take what the product does and go with it opossed to thinking all polishes/pre-wax cleaners are the same because they're labeled so.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PBW Professional Polish

When they say a polish is pad dependent, the polish relies on the cut of the pad itself to remove defects. Some pads have cutting ability on their own. So when looking to remove defects you need to take both product and pad into consideration depending on what you are trying to achieve.

As far as considering polishes a pre wax cleaner, I would say most times no. It can really get confusing as to the definition of the word POLISH. The best thing to do is take a good look at each product and determing how it works. IE... Does the polish have abrasives in it or does it chemically polish the paint without aid of abrasives.

In general, polishes with abrasives are used to correct different degrees of swirls and polishes that use a chemical base are used more to deep clean paint. You still have to consider the cut of a pad in combination with the polish. You can still get some light correction out of a chemical polish containing no abrasives if you use a pad that does have some cut!(the PB Pro Polish is a good example of this) Confusing isn't it???
    Last edited by Dr Oldz; 12-20-2011 at 01:41 PM.
    Jim

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If it polishes the paint chemically I would assume it would pull up old wax and remove blemishes/water spots. It wouldn't remove swirl marks, at best maybe hide them if it has a filler, would this be correct to assume.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grandprix2plus2 View Post
    If it polishes the paint chemically I would assume it would pull up old wax and remove blemishes/water spots. It wouldn't remove swirl marks, at best maybe hide them if it has a filler, would this be correct to assume.

I just edited my post. Does that help clarify? Yes if you are polishing chemically, it will remove old wax/sealants. It may or may not remove blemishes/water spots depending if those blemishes are etched into the paint or not and depending on your pad selection.
    Jim

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Makes perfect sense. I was under that impression but wanted some reassurance from the pros.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used PBW Pro Polish with multiple pads (by hand) and it's definitely true. WHen I first used it with a MF pad on soft black paint, it scared me...I wasn't sure what I was looking at or doing wrong (also quite new to all of this). I went back over it with foam pad and it cleaned it up beautifully. It worked more like a cleaning polish with very light correction, even on my '08 Honda. An '09 black Lexus took the MF pad with no problem and with very similar results to what I saw on my Honda.

Super Member Pockets@PoorboysWorld's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great spot on info here! Thanks guys

Yes, PP is a very versatile product and paired up with a finishing pad its a finishing polish and paired up with a cutting pad or wool pad it will do some serious correction!

And not to mention it polishes glass, plastic, paint, chrome, metal, and metal plating's
    Chris (a.k.a. Pockets)
    Warehouse Manager

Pockets@poorboysworld.com
    (845)215-9700

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboy's World Pro Polish (original version is indeed a chemical polish that will do some serious correction with the right pads for the condition of the paint being worked on. I have done paint corrections on some seriously swirled finishes, from cut to finish using just Pro Polish. It works well in direct sun too. For removing hard water mineral deposits, nothing beats it.

Poorboy's Pro Polish 2 is pretty much the same great chemical polish but it also has a non diminishing abrasive in it so it will correct very nicely and either version works great as a metal polish. Pro Polish is by far the most versatile polish that I have ever used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets @Poorboy'sWorld View Post
    Great spot on info here! Thanks guys

Yes, PP is a very versatile product and paired up with a finishing pad its a finishing polish and paired up with a cutting pad or wool pad it will do some serious correction!

And not to mention it polishes glass, plastic, paint, chrome, metal, and metal plating's
    Dang Pockets, you beat me to the punch.

Super Member Pockets@PoorboysWorld's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Dang Pockets, you beat me to the punch.
    Chris (a.k.a. Pockets)
    Warehouse Manager

Pockets@poorboysworld.com
    (845)215-9700

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast