autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle XMT Gel Shampoo and Conditioner Review

I was a winner in the recent XMT product giveaway and received the Gel Shampoo and Conditioner and 360 Spray Wax the other day from AG. My review of the 360 Spray Wax is can be found in an another thread. I had just polished and sealed my car with Menz 85rd and BFWD about a week and a half ago but it was filthy with dust from our recent big wind storm as it sits in a carport.

Pics before wash:

When I read the instructions for use of the shampoo I was unimpressed by how vague the suggested dilution rates were, “1 to 2 ounces in a bucket of water”. I remembered from Nick’s review that he recommended 1.5 ounces per 4 gallons of water so I mixed 1 ounce of shampoo to 2 gallons of warm water and headed off to the local self service car wash like I always do. (I live in an apartment and can’t wash my car there.)

My solution produced adequate suds and the water had a slight lubricity to it.

Pic of suds:

First I rinsed the car thoroughly with the “rinse only” cycle as I always do and washed using the two bucket method and the XMT shampoo with a microfiber mitt. The solution felt acceptably slick on the paint surface although the suds seemed to die out rather quickly on the car’s surface compared to the Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo that I usually use.

Wash Pics:

I followed up with another thorough rinse, finishing with the low pressure rinse cycle, and got a clean slick surface.

Rinse Pics:

After drying with my usual micofiber drying towels I was rewarded with a clean and shiny car.

After Drying Pics:

Conclusion:
    The Pinnacle XMT Gel Shampoo and Conditioner performed satisfactorily. It produced adequate suds and lubricity to lift and remove surface dirt without creating any surface marring. It rinsed off good and overall I was favorably impressed with it’s performance. The kicker for me is product cost and the extremely vague dilution rates in the instructions. I can get 64 ounces of Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo for the same price as 16 ounces of XMT and get the same results. Therefore I wouldn’t recommend XMT Gel Shampoo and Conditioner as being cost effective when compared to my usual OTC wash shampoo.
    James
    2011 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle XMT Gel Shampoo and Conditioner Review

Thanks for posting the review. Did the Pinnacle leave signicant added gloss?

I know Meg's has been around for a long time but really have not seen a detailed review of it either.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

The Pinnacle wash didn't add to the gloss that I could see. It did a good job of cleaning the surface to reveal the gloss in existance. I just didn't think it was any better than the Megs Gold Class Shampoo while costing much more to use. Maybe I should do a review on Gold Class Shampoo in the future for those who haven't used it yet.
    James
    2011 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

>> I can get 64 ounces of Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo for the same price as 16 ounces of XMT and get the same results. <<

Ummm... you are not making an apples-to-apples comparison. I performed a total cost of ownership on both products awhile ago.

XMT Gel is about 50&#37; more expensive "per wash" compared to Megs GC. However, you need 50% less XMT product per wash compared to Megs. Using like-sized bottle of each, XMT will last longer; probably 2 seasons if you go for the gallon. Factoring in the additional longevity of XMT, it turns out that Megs is 30% cheaper; but don't be fooled by the high percentage since it translates to $15 or roughly $7.50 per year to roll with XMT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    >> I can get 64 ounces of Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo for the same price as 16 ounces of XMT and get the same results. <<

Ummm... you are not making an apples-to-apples comparison. I performed a total cost of ownership on both products awhile ago.

XMT Gel is about 50% more expensive "per wash" compared to Megs GC. However, you need 50% less XMT product per wash compared to Megs. Using like-sized bottle of each, XMT will last longer; probably 2 seasons if you go for the gallon. Factoring in the additional longevity of XMT, it turns out that Megs is 30% cheaper; but don't be fooled by the high percentage since it translates to $15 or roughly $7.50 per year to roll with XMT.
    Well YMMV but I can easily wash my car with 1 gallon of water and 1 ounce of the Megs and that's why I tried to find an acceptable dilution ratio to use 1 ounce of the XMT. Given the instructions for use of the XMT Gel shampoo and my usual shampoo I made every effort to compare "apples to apples" for my own reference even though I wasn't doing a direct comparison test.
    James
    2011 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed YMMV, everything is relative when it comes to these types of things.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review James. By the way, you have a very nice car!