autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: UV absorbance testing on waxes and sealants

Quote Originally Posted by jslym777 View Post
    this is an easy test i dont see why people are making it so extreme, its like testing sunblock in a tanning bed, it will work and the rays go through the clear plastic. I give up on this thread haha
    Oh come on now---you were doing so good.

Before you 'give up' on this thread: Would you be willing to do the UV absorbance testing for this forum's members, posting your results? It could relieve some folks anxiety. Thanks in advance.

Note:

I personally think testing for waxes and sealants "reflectivity values" would better represent their validity for UV protection!
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

haha if this really is a concern to people maybe after sealant/wax, they top it off with some spf 30, i personally am not concerned, just was giving a suggestion on testing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jslym777 View Post
    haha if this really is a concern to people maybe after sealant/wax, they top it off with some spf 30, i personally am not concerned, just was giving a suggestion on testing
    LOL. IMO...Besides the 'built-in' UV protection the clear-coat paint itself has, applying a sealant/coating that has the shiniest, glossiest, most mirror-like finish would be an enhancement for the paint in this battle against UV rays.

BTW, I know of people who actually apply 303 Aerospace Protectant (SPFi 40?) as a "topper" to their LSPs...oh well.

Nice talking with ya. You and yours have a wonderful 'rest of the day'.
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Oh come on now---you were doing so good.

I personally think testing for waxes and sealants "reflectivity values" would better represent their validity for UV protection!
    The great thing about using a setup similar to an eye-glass UV tester/analyzer is that whether the UV was being blocked by absorbance or reflectivity, the results would be exactly the same to the machine (it's only concerned with the % in versus % out of the lens).

BTW, I know of people who actually apply 303 Aerospace Protectant (SPFi 40?) as a "topper" to their LSPs...oh well.
    Really? I will have to search for that. Any pictures or info available? That would be a great product to throw into the test pool for curiosity.

For consideration purposes only:

How about contacting IU's research depts. and see if the've run any Xenon Arc Light Exposure Testing under the auspices of ASTM D 4587, ASTM G 155, or similar ISO/OEM appropiate and approved standards. Therein could lie some of the answers you are seeking.
    Very good idea. I don't know anybody involved in the use of that type of equipment, but you gave me another idea; don't we have an optometry school here?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbgrant View Post

Very good idea. I don't know anybody involved in the use of that type of equipment, but you gave me another idea; don't we have an optometry school here?
    IU has an excellent School of Optometry...maybe this could also be another source for your attempts at garnering your intended information.
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

i am worried you guys have lost control and will be testing sunglasses with sun tan lotion in a room where the walls are paded

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post
    i am worried you guys have lost control and will be testing sunglasses with sun tan lotion in a room where the walls are paded
    agreed, keep it simple

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. Some of our quests do become errant in nature.

I caught my "better half" checking out this site..New Page 1...she said it was because of my condition
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Haha. Thanks for the encouragement. We're all on our way there in some way; I was just hoping I could find some support from enablers on this crazy forum for people overly concerned with shiny objects like myself. Perhaps we need a forum for people trying to drop the addiction?

Post Thanks / Like

in my opinion----that UV crud is what makes it flake and peel......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast