autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Dilema

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning Dilema

I have a water resistant roll out awning that covers our back deck. It is under a large tree which has birds and what else in it. Right now it has a layer of dirt also. I've seen products for canvass sails and automotive convertable tops for sale to clean them. What should I get to try and bring the awning cover back to its original look?
    02 F-150 FX4. Got the goodies on the inside so the dings, dents and scratches are next. Still tuning for power. What gas mileage?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Dilema

Would Amazing Roll-Off work ???

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure since the material isn't a heavy cloth like a sail would be. It's thinner so it can be light enuff not to make a strain on the folding mechanisms. It floats when extended so there's no additional poles to get in the way.
    02 F-150 FX4. Got the goodies on the inside so the dings, dents and scratches are next. Still tuning for power. What gas mileage?

Post Thanks / Like

What is it made of? Vinyl?

We use something like Tilex bathroom cleaner for our RV and house awnings. Spray the thing down, use a clean push broom to remove the big stuff, spray again, let partially dry, coat in Tilex and roll it up. Wait 20 minutes, unroll and hose off. Make them look like new. Been using this method on our Sunsetter awning on the house for 12 years now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AV8R View Post
    What is it made of? Vinyl?

We use something like Tilex bathroom cleaner for our RV and house awnings. Spray the thing down, use a clean push broom to remove the big stuff, spray again, let partially dry, coat in Tilex and roll it up. Wait 20 minutes, unroll and hose off. Make them look like new. Been using this method on our Sunsetter awning on the house for 12 years now.
    No it's a cloth and probably the same as your Sunsetter. It's made by a company called MaryGrove here in metro Detroit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaboom10 View Post
    No it's a cloth and probably the same as your Sunsetter. It's made by a company called MaryGrove here in metro Detroit.
    The Sunsetter is vinyl...really heavy duty stuff. Smoe of the upscale RVs have cloth awnings on them. Check on rv.net or call the manufacturer and ask them. I'd probably not use the Tilex as it has bleach in it. No matter what you use, you'll probably remove the water resistant coating. Use NikWax to get it shedding water again.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a water resistant roll out awning that covers our back deck. It is under a large tree which has birds and what else in it. Right now it has a layer of dirt also. I've seen products for canvass sails and automotive convertable tops for sale to clean them. What should I get to try and bring the awning cover back to its original look?
    303 Fabric /Vinyl Cleaner would be a good choice here

303 Fabric Cleaner removes stains and restores fabric to like-new condition. The 303 biodegradable formula removes oil, grease, dirt, coffee, tea,

Post Thanks / Like

Just a suggestion. Why not contact the manufacturer. The material is either a Woven Acrylic Fabric or a Laminated Fabric. A phone call to the manufacturers office with some very selective questions should get you the answers. They sell a cleaning kit with a concentrated cleaner. The right question will tell you which AG product you need to purchase. Who knows it could end up being a BOGO offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MI Mike View Post
    Just a suggestion. Why not contact the manufacturer. The material is either a Woven Acrylic Fabric or a Laminated Fabric. A phone call to the manufacturers office with some very selective questions should get you the answers. They sell a cleaning kit with a concentrated cleaner. The right question will tell you which AG product you need to purchase. Who knows it could end up being a BOGO offer.
    I don't believe they want to hear from us. This all started when their installation started coming out and almost fell. Now that it was reanchored the way it should have been originally done we're wanting to give it a good cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe they want to hear from us. This all started when their installation started coming out and almost fell. Now that it was reanchored the way it should have been originally done we're wanting to give it a good cleaning.
    Do you need to identify yourself to them to ask a question about cleaning their product?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast