autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

meguiars perfect clarity headlight restoration kit review

This review sucks without pictures to illustrate how great this product works. But, I left my camera at home

Vehicle was a 10'ish year old GMC Acadia, never had anything done to the headlights so they were very hazy and old looking. I could not find the Scotch Brite pads that came with it. I could have researched, but what fun is that? LOL I did my best guesstimation and bought a 1000 grit sanding sponge thingy from the auto parts store. After starting, maybe I should have guessed 800 grit.

It's a 2 step kit, comes with a polishing compound and some sort of UV spray sealant and gray Scotch Brite pads for the compound. I prepped the headlights by cleaning them with Wolfgang Uber mixed for Waterless. Not sure if this was the best thing to use, but it's what I had on hand.

Then I dried them well and applied a quarter size amount of the compound using the sand paper and scrubbed in back and forth motions. The instructions don't say how long to scrub, just to do it until there's a uniform hazy across it. I scrubbed for about 10 minutes then removed it with a MF towel, didn't look great so I re-did it again for 5 minutes and removed it. Same, so a 3rd scrub and it looked pretty uniform. And a majority of the big oxidized spots were about gone.

At this point it did look better, but still pretty bad. This is where the magic happens, you spray on the coating and BOOM it starts to look worlds better instantly. After letting it dry for 3-5 minutes you spray on another coating.

Like I said I have no pics (will next car though!) I'm not totally happy with my results unless they meet my standards. Here, I'm not sure if 800 grit would have made a difference. Or if a better spraying of the coating would have helped. The results were day and night different, considering I spent 45 minutes on both by hand it's pretty impressive. Both her and her husband were blown away with what they saw. It was 90% better, I believe with better technique or the right pads I could have gotten it a lot closer to 100%. But where it's at any improvement would just be cosmetic, the visibility was as good as it was going to get.

$25'ish bucks and it's enough to do 2-4 sets of headlights, not a bad deal at all.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: meguiars perfect clarity headlight restoration kit review

I agree that this kit actually works pretty damn good. I was surprised with the outcome after spraying the coating myself. What I liked best was that it sort of self leveled itself with virtually no orange peel effect like when using aerosol spray can type coating.

I just wonder how long it will last. If I can get at least 1yr, I'll be satisfy.