autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal (New Formula) - Review

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    *1 Month Update*

Well it's been a month, and I have to say things aren't looking good for Crystal Seal - on the paint.

Take a look at the photos I took this morning after yesterday's rain

Beads have turned into amobias on the paint however if you look carefully at my sunroof, beading is still going strong on the glass surfaces I applied CS too.

Why the dramatic difference between the 2 surfaces? Well the only thing I can think of is, BF CS and HD SPEED don't play well together and failed to bond.

Prior to applying CS, I used HD SPEED for some light paint correction before the cold weather set in. I was hoping CS would add a nice top layer for extra durability but knew full well my plan could backfire. And it did! However it's pretty cool to see the difference in beading between the paint and glass surfaces. And it only go to show how important prep work is and using products that work with each other.

So lesson learned: Do not use BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal on top of HD SPEED. I'll continue to keep any eye on the CS coated glass surfaces and update this thread on longevity.

For now, hopefully I'll have time this weekend to apply a new LSP on the paint. HD Poxy anyone????
    This is my experience with the original formula Crystal Seal. The marketing behind it is great, but I haven't experienced very good durability on even properly prepped paint.

At the price point of these boutique, higher priced products, my expectation is that the testing has been completed by the manufacturer and marketers, and they should be ready to go without the need to validate their claims. I do love how easy it is to apply, but havent used my supply of CS recently. I'all give it one more go around in my brothers work truck this Spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Thanks for the update Ian.

There is a pretty dramatic difference between the way the two surfaces bead.

Perhaps the best way to top an AIO would be with a spray wax. Something that does not care if the surface has been stripped with a panel wipe or the like. Or maybe it comes back to product synergistic compatibility.

What do you think?
    Exactly right, Mike. I wanted to share this update to highlight why it's important to use 2 products that are synergistic with each other. And as I found out HD SPEED and BF CS aren't! Again, I knew this chance existed and rather then hid my mistake - I'd rather share the results/ my learning with everyone.

Using a spray wax from the same family of products is a great suggestion. I happen to have a small sample bottle of HD Express at home and will use that in the future whenever topping a vehicle topped with HD SPEED.

Quote Originally Posted by Valky View Post
    I don't care whatever it is, but even after just regular wash I will make complete wipe down before putting a ground base long term LSP like Synergy or Crystal seal. I will not wipe down when I am going to on top with show off wax like souveran once these durable base was layered already.
    Keep in mind by doing a panel wipe I would have removed the AIO protection HD SPEED offered. Instead I was trying to enhance it by topping HD SPEED with BF CS. And it clearly failed.

Had I simply polished the car, then yes a full panel wipe down would have been done prior to applying any LSP base layer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    This coating not lasting even this long is definitely not normal. I have Pinnacle Black Label on my dads car and 6 months after I applied it is still beading strong.
    Totally agree which is why this fail is mine for trying to top HD SPEED with BF CS.

Post Thanks / Like

The beauty of WOWA sealants is it doesn't matter how long they last, you can apply them with 15 minutes (max) of free time. These have all but removed a qd from my stash because it takes the same amount of time to apply with the end result being much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wytstang View Post
    The beauty of WOWA sealants is it doesn't matter how long they last, you can apply them with 15 minutes (max) of free time. These have all but removed a qd from my stash because it takes the same amount of time to apply with the end result being much better.
    Interesting thought. I know that a qd doesn't offer any protection, just cleans off dust and finger prints. Thus, this can be used over any LSP and used often. What about the WOWA sealants? Can they be used often (at least once a week) and on top of any LSP. And which WOWA sealants do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the review. Those pictures are awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parshooter View Post
    Interesting thought. I know that a qd doesn't offer any protection, just cleans off dust and finger prints. Thus, this can be used over any LSP and used often. What about the WOWA sealants? Can they be used often (at least once a week) and on top of any LSP. And which WOWA sealants do you use?
    That's the beauty of wowa sealants, you don't have to do it once a week just once a month. They hold their shine and slickness for at least that much time. I use PB S&W for light dust or waterless wash, I'm soon to switch to Opti-clean which is much more economical in gallon size.
    I've only used Optimum wowa (original formula) but I now have a bottle of Crystal seal I'm soon to try out. I haven't used a wax in some time so I'm not sure how well they play together. But I haven't had any issues with putting Opt. over WG or BF sealants.

Post Thanks / Like

How long does it last

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234