autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots Target Tire Dressing Kit Review

On one of my last orders I was looking for some new tire dressing applicators and stumbled across the Griots Target Tire Dressing Kit. I have tried just about every dressing applicator on the market from the old Eagle One Tire Wipes, Flex applicators, foam apps, etc. I finally switched over to older grout sponges to apply my tire dressings. I always had to use a nitrile glove to keep my hands clean so when I saw the Griots Tire Dressing Kit a handle applicator I decided to give it a try.

Griots Garage Target Tire Dressing Kit

Cost: $14.99

Product Description:

Designed using a unique target-pattern and large open cells, the Griot’s Garage Target Tire Dressing Applicators delivers a thin and precise layer of your desired tire dressing over every inch of tire. Griot’s Garage Target Tire Dressing Kit keeps your products on your tires, and not on your hands, driveway, or paint.

The Griot’s Garage Target Tire Dressing Applicators are manufactured with a soft, open cell foam for maximum product absorption and application. The large cells keep product trapped within until it’s time to be applied.

Package Contents

The kit come with the following:

1) Contour Gripped Applicator handle (hook and loop)
    2) 2 3 inch tire dressing applicators with velcro attached at the top.

Photos

Thoughts and Use

1. I used the kit to apply some PERL 1:1 on the low profile tires of my 2003 Nissan 350Z. The applicator fit into my hand perfectly and kept my hand clean during the whole time of going around the tire. The foam is very large cell so it tends to spread the dressing around the tire completely.

2. I was concerned that the hook and loop would not hold the applicator to the handle as you moved around tire. However I found it to hold perfectly and never separated.

3. Griots claims that the foam can be cleaned after every use with a mild APC and water to keep it clean. I always use water based dressings now so I will clean it occasionally to extend the life of the pad.

(Pros and Cons)

1. I noticed that when applying on my low profile tire that the applicator was a tad big for the tire. Not a big deal for me but it would be better for tires with a larger sidewall.

2. Cost factor: For the weekend warrior this would be the perfect system for a detailer that wants to keep their hands clean and dressing off of their driveway. For the professional detailer the constant use might be a bit of a problem for the foam. I can see this foam deteriorating quickly with constant daily use. One thing that I noticed was that I did not see the option to purchase the applicator pads separately. Over time this could get pricey.
    I thought about the option of purchasing foam and using with applicator but each applicator has velcro glued to the top to attach to the handle.

3. All and all it was a nice system and concept. If large packs of the applicators become available it would be a huge plus.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots Target Tire Dressing Kit Review

They do sell a set of 2 replacement pads (not here) but it's only $3 less than the kit with the handle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    They do sell a set of 2 replacement pads (not here) but it's only $3 less than the kit with the handle.
    Yes..I found them on Amazon for a two pack for $9.99.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

THANKS! Looks like a great product.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

nice review.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. Nick tossed these in on one of my past orders. I did not like these one bit. I tried it with Pinnacle Black Onyx on one tire.

To me the foam is too soft and collapses to easily. I also did not like that I had to use more product just to cover that tire I used it on. The handle and velcro are nice. I find the flex foam applicators to still be better than these.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review!
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review Pat.

I kind of like the idea of the contoured grip applicator. This will give you something to hold onto rather than just the foam. However as pointed out in your review this would be better suited to larger side wall tires.

When I apply paste waxes by hand I will combine the Meguiar's S3HP hand pad with a black Meguiar's W9204 black finishing pad. This gives better control and coverage than just a basic yellow wax applicator.

Thanks for sharing.