autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - Pinnacle SSII paste wax

I was one of the individuals who received the new Wolfgang products as part of the recent giveaway. In return, I agreed to provide a review of the products. With that in mind, I will try to keep my review as objective as possible.

The copy from AG

Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax creates a warm, wet-looking shine with nature’s finest wax and fruit oils. The results are sizzling shine, depth, and reflection that enhance any type and color of paint. Signature Series II is the most impressive wax in its class. In fact, many higher priced waxes can’t compare to the shine of Signature Series II.

Pinnacle is the house brand that focuses on the use of natural ingredients in it's formulations. This may limit what can be used in the product, but I don't this limits the product's potential.

Signature Series II is a paste wax, and with the advent of coatings and ease of use of sealants, these products aren't talked about here as much as they used to be, even just a few years ago. I do think paste wax still has a place in the detailer's arsenal. For one, no sealant or coating I'm familiar with can achieve the same look as a quality paste wax; some certainly come close, but none get there. That is not to say every car should have a paste wax on it, all LSP options have their benefits. As we know, 90% of the looks is in the prep, and 10% is in the LSP; but for colors like red, yellow and blue, sealants and coatings just can't get the same look as a paste wax, IMO. So as I see it, paste wax certainly still has it's place, but now needs to share with other LSPs. The other place I tend to use paste wax is on special interest vehicles and show cars, I do still choose an LSP based on what I think will look best on the vehicle and sometimes that means I choose a sealant instead of a wax, often on whites and blacks.

When I received signature series II I was very surprised that this was among the new releases. Frankly, I didn't know what I was going to use it on, I didn't have any special interest cars on the books as winter is fast approaching in Minnesota. So I called up a client with an older BMW that I did earlier in the summer; this one:

1988 BMW 535is Paint correction

Yes, it's black, and I used BFWD on it earlier in the year and I think that was the best choice for that car. But I'll provide photos of both and let readers decide if I made the right choice.

When opening up SSII, I found it to be a harder paste wax with no added fragrance. The smells of a natural paste wax like this is not common anymore, but reminds me of waxing years ago when there wasn't so much focus on fragrance. Place a finger in the wax and it immediately starts to melt from body heat.

I applied it to this BMW using the typical yellow foam applicator. This is a wipe on wipe off wax and does not need to haze. In my case I applied to all the top surfaces of the car, then wiped off, then proceeded to do the same on on each side. It spread very well and evenly. The pad never got overloaded. Wipe off was also easy, even in a few spots that were deliberately over applied; no more than a few light passes and I was left with a streak and haze free finish. The finished feel is not as slick as BFWD or other sealants, but very smooth and buttery. I feel it definitely added some depth to the paint and a wet look that you can't get with a sealant.

In terms of other paste waxes, it certainly competes with higher priced waxes in terms of ease of use and looks. I would say that it is at the top of the pack in it's price range. It is a premium wax without the boutique price. If you want a wax for the name, go ahead and buy zymol or swissvax, from what I've tried they are excellent. If you want another excellent wax at a reasonable price, do look closely at SSII.

This vehicle has only been used a few times since this summer and washed once. So SSII is really acting as a topper in the following pictures.

Bimmer this summer with BFWD.

Bimmer today with SSII

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Pinnacle SSII paste wax

Have you used the old SSII? I have had a jar for a few years and just wondered what was different about this one

Post Thanks / Like

I have not tried it. Perhaps Nick can chime in?
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the changes were related to the size and packaging. Not sure if the formula was changed/enhanced. It is a great wax and fills a great place within the Pinnacle line.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up, love this wax.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Top shelf review;
    Top shelf Wax...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I believe the changes were related to the size and packaging. Not sure if the formula was changed/enhanced. It is a great wax and fills a great place within the Pinnacle line.
    From what I've read it is different/new. I may have read wrong but that's how I understood it. Can't wait to test mine out and compare it with Souveran and Synergy!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review! I've got a pot on the way and can't wait to try it out!
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like

Great review my friend!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast