autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

3D BDX vs. Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner

When 3D BDX was introduced, it claimed to be cost effective and an extremely effective product. It seemed like this was the next best thing, but when I inquired to see what made it better, I never really got an answer, so here is my comparison.

PRICING- non-sale or discount prices:
    BDX 24oz= $0.708 per/oz
    DWC 16oz= $0.937

BDX gallon= $0.625
    DWC gallon= $0.469

Adam's really penalizes you for not buying in gallons, but 3D is more consistent in the pricing.

THE PRODUCTS:
    BDX has very little odor and it does not linger and has a slight lemon scent. It is colorless/ milky white, and very thin. It is made in the USA, but I do not know if the packaging is.

DWC has a strong cherry odor but it does not linger, is light pink in color, and foams very well making it cling to where you spray it. It is made in the USA as well as its packaging.

WHEELS:
    Unfortunately, this was the dirtiest wheel I has access too, but it's an Audi and that means a high metallic content in the brake dust.

This test is documented by video and both products were sprayed again after about 2 minutes to prevent them from drying. However, BDX dries extremely fast, while DWC can go much longer without needing to be repsrayed or rinsed.

Neither cleaner fully cleaned the wheel and a thin layer of dirt was left behind, but the Adam's side did come out cleaner.

PAINT
    Here we have a Glacier White 2016 Q5. To begin the test, the car was cleaned with Adam's Waterless Wash which leaves absolutely nothing behind; it's just a cleaner.

Then BDX was sprayed on the left half of the hatch while DWC was diluted 1:1 as per Adam's instructions.

BDX:

Notice how quickly it dried:

Adam's which was sprayed first and still wet:

Both sides just before rinsing:

At this point, all was rinsed off and the car was dried off. I then switched sides to see if BDX could remove anything DWC didn't or if DWC could remove anything BDX didn't.

BDX found some more contamination:

But so did DWC:

At this point the hatch was rinsed again and dried for a 3rd round. This time I used DWC full strength. Adam's doesn't recommend it because it can be more harmful if it dries, but I have done it before and felt comfortable doing it again.

After BDX found more on the 1:1 DWC side, full strength DWC found more even after BDX.

The hatch was then rinsed and dried again and sprayed with BDX this time.

Nothing on the upper half:

A tiny bit on the bumper:

Overall, I would recommend using DWC full strength on paint and just be careful not to let it dry as it was clearly more effective at full strength. As for which is better on paint, you can decide, but I found DWC to be better on wheels. Also, because BDX dries so much faster, I found myself using more product.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3D BDX vs. Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner

Nice review. DWC is my favorite cleaner just for the fact that it clings to the wheel really well,although I have some BDX on the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review, seems bdx was hyped a bit I still like my iron X

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! Thanks for sharing.