autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - Zymol Japon Wax

I’d like to dedicate this review on Zymol’s “Japon” wax to Ray@Autogeek for always inspiring me to keep my 1998 Civic looking years younger then it really is!

Full disclosure: this wax isn't available from Autogeek yet, but it is carried by it's sister site: Autopia Car Care (hope that's ok to mention).

From Autopia’s copy for Japon wax:
    “Zymol Japon Wax is a unique automotive wax blend designed specifically for the needs of Japanese paint systems. Utilizing a specialized formulation of carnauba wax, nourishing oils, and drying agents, this easy-to-use wax blankets your vehicle with lasting protection and shine. Zymol Japon Wax is ideal for use on all paint colors.”

This is the first Japanese specific car wax I’ve ever used (or heard of). Until now I was blissfully unaware of the unique needs of my Honda’s paint system. Better late then never! Sorry old girl…

Directions:

1. Wash and dry car. HD Cleanse if necessary (see owner's manual).

Prior to waxing, I washed the Civic with Zymol Auto Wash (review coming soon) and followed up with P21S Gloss-enhancing Paintwork Cleanser. By applying P21S GPC with my Flex 3401 (speed 5) with a white CCS pad I insure my paint was free of old products/ road grime while leaving me with a nice glossy surface. If you’re looking for a pre-wax cleaner, P21S Gloss-enhancing Paintwork Cleanser is an excellent option.

2. Apply with enclosed Zymol wax applicator using even back and forth motions. Do not allow to dry!. REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING.

After first doing a 2X2ft test area to understand how the wax behaves during application I realize how misleading the instructions are because you do need to allow this wax to haze over and only a swipe test will tell you when the wax is ready to be removed:

By allowing the wax time to set up, you’ll have a much easier time removing it vs immediately trying to buff it off like the directions would have you believe.

Knowing this, I can move onto the rest of the car w/o hesitate for how far i can go before the wax is ready to be removed:

3. Buff gently to a high gloss using Zymol Cotton buffing towels.

Ok, when exactly were these instructions written? 1995? Cause there’s no way a COTTON buffing towel is touching my car. Instead, today in 2015 I reach for one of my trusted microfibers and buff to a nice deep gloss:

And now the results:

Morning dew beading up:

Conclusion

Overall, this is a very nice wax to use. It spreads evenly and only takes a small amount to do an entire car. Here’s the jar before and after I was done including 2 coats on the hood, roof, and trunk:

Before:

After:

I can easily see getting 15-20 applications out of this 8oz jar. At at $54.99 it’s completely priced against other mid-level carnauba wax.

Additional observations

The whole “REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING” bit in the instructions has to be aimed at people who leave their waxes in hot garages or car trunks only to discover months later the wax has dried up and is useless. Still being true to this review, I stuck the wax inside the fridge between applications:

And then this happened:

The plastic rim broke while I was unscrewing it to apply a second application to the roof, trunk, and hood. The jar isn’t very thick plastic to start with and my hunch is the cold made it slightly more brittle resulting in the chip. Thankfully when closed the lid covers the gaping hole so it’s shouldn’t be an issue. I don’t recommend refrigerating this wax - just keep indoors, away from temperature extremes, and you’ll be fine.

Lastly, what makes this wax better for Japanese cars than any other wax is still a mystery to me... do you know?

As always, thanks for reading my review. Please feel free to ask any questions.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Zymol Japon Wax

Another outstanding review Ian.

It's obvious that you're an experienced detailer/car wax enthusiast because you tested a product that's new to you on a small area first, instead of applying it to the entire car. This is good practice because it lets you get a feel for the product, as you demonstrated so clearly in your review.

What other waxes would you compare Japon to?

Zymol will not be offered at Autogeek, so if anyone is interested in the line head over to Autopia.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job! I have been using Zymol for years. Try using an estate glaze like Destiny, you will not be disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! There is no wax I like more than Zymol. Just give me the Creame or Carbon and I'm happy. I don't even need the super high end stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Another outstanding review Ian.
    Thanks, Nick! Appreciate the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    What other waxes would you compare Japon to?
    Great question - the wax that kept spring to mind while applying Japon was P21S Concourse Carnauba Paste Wax. They're similar in terms of application and removal which makes sense since they're both made from Brazilian #1 yellow carnauba and beeswax. In fact after some quick math, ounce per ounce they're almost the same price - $6.13 oz vs $6.8oz - P21S and Japon respectfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Nice review!
    Thank you, Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by 1986mustanggt View Post
    Nice job! I have been using Zymol for years. Try using an estate glaze like Destiny, you will not be disappointed.
    Thanks! I'll have to keep Estate glaze and Destiny in mind

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Nice! There is no wax I like more than Zymol. Just give me the Creame or Carbon and I'm happy. I don't even need the super high end stuff.
    Happy to hear it! I have to admit, the tropical smell of Zymol takes me back to my pre-Autogeek days of buying Zymol cleaner wax from my local auto parts store... simpler times...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1986mustanggt View Post
    Nice job! Try using an estate glaze like Destiny, you will not be disappointed.
    Agree,

I have used Destiny it is an awesome wax and the smell is incredible. Of course it's not a cheap wax, another great wax to try is Concourse.
    BTW, the beading on this waxes are insane. Way better then any coating or collinite wax I have tried.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your time and efforts in the
    presentation of this review.

•But...
    (and may the detailing-powers that be forgive me)...
    it does bring to mind and make me wonder (again):
    -Where is the factual basis for a special wax blend,
    based on car brands or models?

•IMHO:
    -Paints do not favor one Wax over another.
    -The notion that there are, and/or should be:
    Specific waxes for a given make and model
    of a vehicle...is rather ridiculous.
    -Consumers should be wary of any company
    marketing Wax products in such a manner.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Good points by Bob. Especially considering manufacturers can switch paint suppliers at will.

Regardless, I still enjoy using their wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Thanks for your time and efforts in the
    presentation of this review.

•But...
    (and may the detailing-powers that be forgive me)...
    it does bring to mind and make me wonder (again):
    -Where is the factual basis for a special wax blend,
    based on car brands or models?

•IMHO:
    -Paints do not favor one Wax over another.
    -The notion that there are, and/or should be:
    Specific waxes for a given make and model
    of a vehicle...is rather ridiculous.
    -Consumers should be wary of any company
    marketing Wax products in such a manner.

Bob
    Thanks, Bob! I agree with all of your points

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast