autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - Pinnacle Exhaust Cleaner and Brightener

I received this product prior to it's release and, in return, agreed to provide a review of the product. I will try to keep this as objective as I can.

When I received my package, I was probably most excited about this particular product. I have been a long time P21S polishing soap user and never felt the need to try anything else. There's a reason nearly all the products in the PBMG family get good reviews, they are tested by some of the best in the business and the AGO folks won't release them until they are happy. So to think that I had something very effective in hand was exciting.

Upon opening the container, I noted it is very much a cream unlike my P21S. It also smells amazing, to me, it's like a berry taffy. The cream consistency lends itself to using more product than P21S. I could probably use my P21S everyday for a lifetime and it would still be willed to my kids. I've done about 5 cars with this and used maybe 10-20% of the container so I'd say it is still a good value.

I couldn't wait to use it so the first thing was my wife's S6, the tips are coated with opti-coat, but they car also has no secondary cats, so the exhaust builds up quick. This result was from only using the new Pinnacle exhaust cleaner and brightener and a quick rinse. The carbon literally melted off the exhaust, I'm used to P21S abrading it, but I watched it turn to a liquid in the cream.

Next was a BMW X5. Last time the exhasut was touched was pre-winter so going on 9 months. This time they got a quick cleaning with Megs D103, then the Pinnacle Exhaust cleaner and brightener.

Next up was a BMW 535is. This exhaust hadn't been cleaned in probably 10 years. Wish I had the before picture, but the after is quite impressive. You can get a feel for the before if you look inside the tip.

I did also try it on a 1990 Jaguar XJS that has probably never had the exhaust cleaned. I once again tried with no pre-cleaning. This time Pinnacle exhaust cleaner and brightener met it's match. It was too much even after several applications, I got about a 50% improvement in carbon and oxidation. I resorted to steel wool and Megs D103, which got it back to 80% or so; beyond that it was etched to a point that was not salvageable.

I can't say that this product is all you need in your arsenal, that's just not the case. And if you are a production guy, this may not be for you as the product usage is quite a bit more than P21S. But it is very effective for all but the most nasty exhausts.

Pros:
    Great smell
    great shine
    very effective on light and medium duty work

Cons:
    Use more product than P21S

General notes:
    Still need other very aggressive methods for the worst exhausts. I don't this of this as a con, just something to note. Sometimes you need a compound instead of a polish, that's just the nature of the work.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Pinnacle Exhaust Cleaner and Brightener

I like the P21s PS as well. One thing I hate about it, is it leaves a white powder that has to be wiped off - won't rinse off. So, I think I may try this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Good write up. I was hoping someone would compare it to P21S Soap. From how you describe it, it sounds more like P21S Multi Surface Finish Restorer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I like the P21s PS as well. One thing I hate about it, is it leaves a white powder that has to be wiped off - won't rinse off. So, I think I may try this stuff.

That has been one of my pet peeves with p21s. I also get nervous with the grit on plastic pieces so common around exhausts; makes me nervous that I'll mar it. I feel much more comfortable with the pinnacle product. P21s smells like something that was in my grandparent's bathroom 30 years ago, so it does still have nostalgia going for it.

Pinnacle does contain diatomaceous products so to me it is still abrasive, but not the large grit; its more of a chemical cleaner than mechanical cleaner.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up, looks good!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review.

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

That's one thing I don't like about P21S as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I am going to get some on my next order.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! The results speak for themselves.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Never noticed any white residue using the P21s. Its always my first step with exhausts and chrome. Always washed off cleanly for me and beads quite well afterwards. The P21S Multi Surface Finish Restorer more like a regular metal polish (but safe for chromed plastic parts).

The Pinnacle almost sounds analogous to something like IronX for exhaust soot. Do you have to work the Pinnacle like a metal polish or apply it and let it sit while it dissolves the grime?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Never noticed any white residue using the P21s. Its always my first step with exhausts and chrome. Always washed off cleanly for me and beads quite well afterwards. The P21S Multi Surface Finish Restorer more like a regular metal polish (but safe for chromed plastic parts).

The Pinnacle almost sounds analogous to something like IronX for exhaust soot. Do you have to work the Pinnacle like a metal polish or apply it and let it sit while it dissolves the grime?
    It's applied, worked in and removed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast