autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Griot's Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

Power measurements can either be steady state or peak. Obviously, the peak current at startup would be a better one for claim if you are trying to brag about the motor. The same applies to horsepower ratings (everyone uses peak).

For industrial places, the peak is actually important when dealing with motors so the breaker does not trip if you turned a bunch on at the same time like when they come in in the morning and turn on power to the area.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Griot's Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    No...

No copying going on here.

100% copy. Sorry.

You guys may like the machine. That's fine.
    Yes... Maybe the counter weight was copied because it certainly looks the same. But the bearings and spindle are different.

I still think it's not fair to call the entire machine a copy just because some components are the same.

AFAIK, each of these counter weights are individually balanced. I think Griot's manufactures their own counter weights too. A direct copy would have been when they make a mold out of a single Rupes counter balance and produce the same unbalanced counter weight for all their machines. But the fact that they manufacture and balance each individual one says otherwise. Aesthetics and design of the counter balance - yes.

Let's go back to cars... Are you also saying that cars that use struts with the spring around it are copies of each other? What about cellphones? All of them use a microphone as part of their functionality. Are they all copying each other as well just because that component looks the same (although it could be from a different manufacturer)? What about keyboards? All of them uses the same keys! Are they not copies of each other now? The DP turbo dryer also uses a tip that looks like the Master Blaster. But I wouldn't call that a copy... The list goes on and on.

In the general market place, a successful product will get noticed by competitors and these competitors will try to make a variation of that product. It happens all the time. Yes, maybe a feature or two will be the same but the entire product was designed and built from the ground up. They wouldn't just put the successful product in a mold, create "copies" and slap their company name on it. (which is what the EVO21 polisher did) There is no patent for the 21mm throw polisher so you can't blame Griot's. They saw a good product and improved on it. They also have a loyal fan base and I'm sure they see a lot of potential revenue from them.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    No...

No copying going on here.

100% copy. Sorry.

You guys may like the machine. That's fine.
    So I guess every auto maker since the first automobile was built has been copying the original design and they all suck except the original? Seems pretty narrow minded to me.

Every car has wheels, brakes, suspension, motors and so on but yet they all offer a different driving experience, with polishers it's no different with the exception of the EVO 21 which is a distinct knock off and made cheaper and is a POS. The GG21 looks distinctly different and has better internals and ergonomics, it appears Griot's has simply built a better mouse trap.

I have a Rupes 21 and like it but if this machine is built better and cuts down on my correcting time then I will get one and have my Rupes as a back up.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't recall anyone who said that the GG21 is a copy of the Rupes and therefore is a POS. If you don't see it as a copy, then you just can't be reasoned with. I'm only typing this because I'm trying to kill time. I bet it's a fine machine, maybe even better than the original, but its still a copy, despite all of the differences. The 8mm throw design was copied over and over again of some original, however the design differences could pursuaid me to say some are not copies. I don't believe the GG21 is more different than it is the same comparing to the Rupes. It looks like a copy. How can you not see?
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    I don't recall anyone who said that the GG21 is a copy of the Rupes and therefore is a POS. If you don't see it as a copy, then you just can't be reasoned with. I'm only typing this because I'm trying to kill time. I bet it's a fine machine, maybe even better than the original, but its still a copy, despite all of the differences. The 8mm throw design was copied over and over again of some original, however the design differences could pursuaid me to say some are not copies. I don't believe the GG21 is more different than it is the same comparing to the Rupes. It looks like a copy. How can you not see?
    I guess if this is a copy

These are copies too then

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

The difference is the beating of the copy drum..................but only directed at the Griots offering.

As I asserted elsewhere to swanicyouth "Where is the outrage towards the Evo, Zentool etc........." this has been a unnatural bias and has been exposed as such. At first it was the made in China stuff(Merica first damn it!!!) yet the Rupes is not a American company and it's profits go to Italy.

Then as this silliness unfolded the admitting the problem really was the Griots not only copied the Rupes but the pricepoint was similar....................and had it been cheaper it would not have been a issue............really? so the ideologues posting would have bought the "Cheaper Griots" if this is not the definition of hypocrisy what else is.

I am starting to wonder if the detractors are not Griots guys in secret because with your code pink style of glossing over facts you send guys right to the purchase of the machine(Rupes is like SHUT UP).

I have the Griots 3" inch toy.......................yes it is underpowered, but they made this smaller machine first and the Rupes mini is a much better correcting machine(I have purchased two) but Rupes made their offering AFTER Griots did and the machines are similar but nobody would say it is a copy so who did Rupes get their inspiration from?? and of course the Dynabrade issue was brought up earlier by Marc. There is blatant bias here over truthful questions actually being brought up which sucks and is not needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Rasky, I'm not sure I understand your response. Was I supposed to see differences from the photographs? If it was, then all I can say is it still looks like a copy. Maybe this is similar to that recent picture of that dress that people could not agree on what color it was.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Really??? Read Swanicyouth's posts. Here and on Autopia Forums, he repeatedly slams Griot's for copying the machine. I totally understand being a fan of a particular machine or product but to ignore something that may be better is a closed minded way of thinking. Something no matter how great the design it can always be improved upon.

If you own a Rupes and do not ever see yourself buying anything else that's your right but don't knock a machine or product until you have put it to the test. The other companies machines that have directly copied the Rupes design to a T have not been slammed as they are much cheaper not just in price but in quality. The way I see it is all the haters are bitching are unhappy about the price of The GG21 and feel it should be priced lower. I bet if the price was $200.00 there wouldn't be as many haters but people will look for flaws no matter how well something is made and still ##### about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Rasky, I'm not sure I understand your response. Was I supposed to see differences from the photographs? If it was, then all I can say is it still looks like a copy. Maybe this is similar to that recent picture of that dress that people could not agree on what color it was.
    Apparently you proved Rasky's point...he was comparing the Rupes to the BOSS, Flex, and G300.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you serious?? I guess the dumbing down of America theory has truth to it.

If you cannot see the obvious differences between the machines in Chad's pics you need to go sit in the corner with your dunce cap on..

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast