autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50

Hi all,
    This is my first review, so please give me any tips in the comments. For this review it is Son1c Wax Obsession vs Chemical Guys 50/50 paste wax.

The car was polished prior to application using Shine Supply Classic Cut and Classic Polish. The car is a 2010 BMW 535i in Black Sapphire Metallic. The car was then given an IPA wipe down to ensure all polishing oils were removed. 50/50 was on the left side of the hood, Obsession on the right.

Packaging:
    Son1c wins on packaging. Obsession comes in a plastic jar with a simple screw-on cap. The jar is extremely sturdy and drop proof (I've dropped it haha). Another "cool" factor is that this wax was hand-serialized.
    CG 50/50's packaging is a good idea, but it was executed poorly. It comes in a sturdy metal canister that requires a screwdriver to open, which is just annoying. CG's claims it keeps the wax fresher, but i'm skeptical due to the brown line that was forming at the bottom of my wax. Son1c Obsession wins packaging simply because it is strong, sturdy, simple, and effective.

Texture/ Scents:
    CG 50/50 has a traditional carnauba hard wax texture. It is hard, however if you rub your finger gently in the pot it liquifies. This provides easy application, which will be discussed later. 50/50 is a very oily wax. The scent of 50/50 is ok, but not great. It has a slight vanilla scent, but it is mixed with carnauba and solvent smells. Not great, but not terrible either.
    Son1c Obsession is a medium textured paste wax. It has a bright blue color that is very vibrant. It does not feel oily, more sticky to be exact. The scent for Obsession is incredible. It is a bubblegum scent, but not mixed with solvent scent. Just smells like blue bubblegum.

Application:
    50/50 applies like a traditional carnauba paste wax in my opinion. It melts onto the applicator easily, spreads easily and fairly far, but is difficult to keep a thin, uniform coating.
    Obsession takes more swipes to get the applicator loaded because it feels sticky (like a paint sealant). However, it still spreads very far and is extremely easy to get a thin uniform coat. It takes a little more effort to spread and apply, but it is worth it for the shine/ durability.

Removal:
    After allowing both waxes to cure for 30 minutes to the paint (neither came with instructions but obsession did say to allow to haze). I used 2 separate Rag Company 420 gsm Spectrum microfiber towels to ensure a fair comparison. 50/50 worked better with the thick pile side of the microfiber, because it is an oily wax. It hardened over the cure time, but still removed relatively easy. There were certain high spots since it was more difficult to apply, which took lots of elbow grease to remove. Since the wax hardened it did powder a little, but not a significant amount.
    Obsession was easy to remove with the low pile side of the microfiber. It didn't seem to harden like the 50/50, and there was no powdering at all. I would say Obsession was easier to remove.

Conclusion:
    Overall both waxes produced a great shine, even on metallic paint. Obsession was a little harder to apply, but easier to remove. The scent of Obsession was much more pleasant. While the shine seemed to be the same, I have used both waxes in the past and durability of 50/50 is about 2 weeks. It is a concours style paste wax that isn't made to last long. Obsession lasts around a month, which is great for a paste wax. The beading and sheeting compares with paint sealants. I will do a follow up review with the beading and sheeting. Overall, my favorite for this battle is Son1c Obsession. With a wax thats still fairly easy to apply, really easy to remove, and beading and sheeting similar to a sealant from a paste wax, is pretty incredible in my opinion. Thanks for viewing! Look through to pictures for a story of application and removal and shine!.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_173326-jpg   Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_173401-jpg   Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_173405-jpg   Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_173408-jpg   Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_173416-jpg   Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_173456_001-jpg   Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_173503-jpg   Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_173508-jpg   Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_173523-jpg   Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_173623-jpg  

Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_173731-jpg   Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_173818-jpg   Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_173936-jpg   Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_180241-jpg   Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_180301-jpg   Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_180441-jpg   Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_180626-jpg   Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_180656-jpg   Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50-20150713_180711-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Son1c wax Obsession vs. CG 50/50

Excellent review!! I have all 3 of Drew's waxes and have only used his Phoenix wax so far. Really dig that wax. I am so glad you reviewed Obsession.

It is great to know that you liked Obsession! I have categorized my Phoenix was as 1 of my top waxes and I have tried quite a few. Now that I see Obsession is the next wax to try...again, great review!! Awesome pics too!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Yes I have Obsession and Autism, but ordered the 2 year anniversary and phoenix this morning! Out of every wax I tried Autism is my favorite. I will be doing a comparison with Autism wax too. Obsession is great I'm sure you will love it! I will be doing reviews for all of Drew's waxes soon...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m54daboll View Post
    Thanks! Yes I have Obsession and Autism, but ordered the 2 year anniversary and phoenix this morning! Out of every wax I tried Autism is my favorite. I will be doing a comparison with Autism wax too. Obsession is great I'm sure you will love it! I will be doing reviews for all of Drew's waxes soon...
    You ordered the 2 year anniversary wax? On AGO site? I do not see it. Let me know if you have from AGO
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It is not on Autogeek, but since every other one of Drew's waxes is on Autogeek, I assume it will be on there shortly

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx for the review , Drew does make some great wax , props to the guy .
    05 M/T SER Altima . NismoOBXDynomax exh .RL FSTB&BTD, H&R Springs & Triple C Bolt, RLRShifterBushing, EBC Ft/Rr Pads/Rotors, Synto/Wix Filter, RP MaxATF PS, Motul BF/C, Pennzoil Gear Oil ,Wix cab filter, Interstate, Michelin Pilot A/S+

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

He sure does! He has fantastic customer service too. I'm always looking for new paste waxes to try haha
    2011 BMW 328i Sedan 6 speed auto
    1981 Datsun 280zx 5 speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,
    This is my first review, so please give me any tips in the comments. For this review it is Son1c Wax Obsession vs Chemical Guys 50/50 paste wax.

The car was polished prior to application using Shine Supply Classic Cut and Classic Polish. The car is a 2010 BMW 535i in Black Sapphire Metallic. The car was then given an IPA wipe down to ensure all polishing oils were removed. 50/50 was on the left side of the hood, Obsession on the right.

Packaging:
    Son1c wins on packaging. Obsession comes in a plastic jar with a simple screw-on cap. The jar is extremely sturdy and drop proof (I've dropped it haha). Another "cool" factor is that this wax was hand-serialized.
    CG 50/50's packaging is a good idea, but it was executed poorly. It comes in a sturdy metal canister that requires a screwdriver to open, which is just annoying. CG's claims it keeps the wax fresher, but i'm skeptical due to the brown line that was forming at the bottom of my wax. Son1c Obsession wins packaging simply because it is strong, sturdy, simple, and effective.

Texture/ Scents:
    CG 50/50 has a traditional carnauba hard wax texture. It is hard, however if you rub your finger gently in the pot it liquifies. This provides easy application, which will be discussed later. 50/50 is a very oily wax. The scent of 50/50 is ok, but not great. It has a slight vanilla scent, but it is mixed with carnauba and solvent smells. Not great, but not terrible either.
    Son1c Obsession is a medium textured paste wax. It has a bright blue color that is very vibrant. It does not feel oily, more sticky to be exact. The scent for Obsession is incredible. It is a bubblegum scent, but not mixed with solvent scent. Just smells like blue bubblegum.

Application:
    50/50 applies like a traditional carnauba paste wax in my opinion. It melts onto the applicator easily, spreads easily and fairly far, but is difficult to keep a thin, uniform coating.
    Obsession takes more swipes to get the applicator loaded because it feels sticky (like a paint sealant). However, it still spreads very far and is extremely easy to get a thin uniform coat. It takes a little more effort to spread and apply, but it is worth it for the shine/ durability.

Removal:
    After allowing both waxes to cure for 30 minutes to the paint (neither came with instructions but obsession did say to allow to haze). I used 2 separate Rag Company 420 gsm Spectrum microfiber towels to ensure a fair comparison. 50/50 worked better with the thick pile side of the microfiber, because it is an oily wax. It hardened over the cure time, but still removed relatively easy. There were certain high spots since it was more difficult to apply, which took lots of elbow grease to remove. Since the wax hardened it did powder a little, but not a significant amount.
    Obsession was easy to remove with the low pile side of the microfiber. It didn't seem to harden like the 50/50, and there was no powdering at all. I would say Obsession was easier to remove.

Conclusion:
    Overall both waxes produced a great shine, even on metallic paint. Obsession was a little harder to apply, but easier to remove. The scent of Obsession was much more pleasant. While the shine seemed to be the same, I have used both waxes in the past and durability of 50/50 is about 2 weeks. It is a concours style paste wax that isn't made to last long. Obsession lasts around a month, which is great for a paste wax. The beading and sheeting compares with paint sealants. I will do a follow up review with the beading and sheeting. Overall, my favorite for this battle is Son1c Obsession. With a wax thats still fairly easy to apply, really easy to remove, and beading and sheeting similar to a sealant from a paste wax, is pretty incredible in my opinion. Thanks for viewing! Look through to pictures for a story of application and removal and shine!.
    Awesome review Mike! Happy to see you enjoyed the wax and looking forward to your follow up. I think really enjoyed the SON1C Wax Obsession project, for anyone that is looking for a somewhat similar wax I would recommend SON1C Wax Phoenix which is also easier to spread (due to fact only 36 SON1C Wax Obsessions were made and are now sold out)
    SON1C Wax Phoenix, carnauba wax, homebrew wax

Love all of your pictures and I love that scent too! I crack the pot on occasion just to smell it! Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Excellent review!! I have all 3 of Drew's waxes and have only used his Phoenix wax so far. Really dig that wax. I am so glad you reviewed Obsession.

It is great to know that you liked Obsession! I have categorized my Phoenix was as 1 of my top waxes and I have tried quite a few. Now that I see Obsession is the next wax to try...again, great review!! Awesome pics too!!
    Thanks for the continued support and it's an honor to be one of your top wax choices.
    Looking forward to your other coming reviews then mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    You ordered the 2 year anniversary wax? On AGO site? I do not see it. Let me know if you have from AGO
    Hopefully the 2nd Year Anniversary SON1C Wax will be on autogeeks site within a few weeks, I will post an update once it is!
    It is not on Autogeek, but since every other one of Drew's waxes is on Autogeek, I assume it will be on there shortly
    I would estimate in August
    Quote Originally Posted by sproketser View Post
    Thanx for the review , Drew does make some great wax , props to the guy .
    Thanks mate! How have you been?
    He sure does! He has fantastic customer service too. I'm always looking for new paste waxes to try haha
    Thank you, it's been tougher to reply lately with my new job however I don't want anyone to ever hesitate to reach out to me I can always be reached at Sales@Son1cWax.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
    Thanks for the continued support and it's an honor to be one of your top wax choices.

Looking forward to your other coming reviews then mike

Hopefully the 2nd Year Anniversary SON1C Wax will be on autogeeks site within a few weeks, I will post an update once it is!

I would estimate in August

Thanks mate! How have you been?

Thank you, it's been tougher to reply lately with my new job however I don't want anyone to ever hesitate to reach out to me I can always be reached at Sales@Son1cWax.com
    Well , nothing real good , just atatying to clean my mother s & my ride due to my lovely lower back strain that doesn t wnat to leave me ! & a capsulatis on the right shoulder ( righty _ that affets me since over a year if not more . Diabetics must not help on these also .

A chance that my little almost 6 yo nephew s there sometimes to cheer me up !
    05 M/T SER Altima . NismoOBXDynomax exh .RL FSTB&BTD, H&R Springs & Triple C Bolt, RLRShifterBushing, EBC Ft/Rr Pads/Rotors, Synto/Wix Filter, RP MaxATF PS, Motul BF/C, Pennzoil Gear Oil ,Wix cab filter, Interstate, Michelin Pilot A/S+