autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Book Review: How to use the Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher

Well,

I've owed Mike Phillips this review for a while now. So let's get to it.

This book is truly an amazing resource for anything you might want to know about the Flex 3401, and detailing in general for that matter. Mr. Phillips touches on all aspects of the machine: it's design, construction, operation, intended uses, accessories, pad recommendations, etc. Heck, he's even listed the sizes of the nut and washer to hold the backing plates down for both the stock plates, and the ones for the LC system, too. That alone is worth the cost of the book as a reference should you ever lose one in the middle of a job.

Mike gets into really, really deep detail about pad choices and recommendations, what backing plates match up with what pads, why that's important, where exactly those two spacer washers go for the 6" LC plate, and many other aspects of the machine and its parts. He discusses pad compositions, what works well for the machine and what might not. Microfiber, foam, and foamed wool pads all get their due here. Also included are product recommendations in the realm of polishes and compounds for both show car and production detailing.

The book is written as if Mike is having a conversation with the reader, much as I would imagine his classes are, and in fact, the largest portion of the book is devoted to how to use the machine, get the most out of your time and effort, and potentially make some money with the thing if that's where your interests lie. Mike also offers up some pretty sound business advice based on his personal experiences.

If you own a Flex 3401, you really should have this book in your collection as a resource. With the sheer volume of information in this book, veterans to detailing will probably pull several good nuggets of information, and those new to it should have a good amount confidence to go out and tackle that first vehicle. It's likely the closest thing to being in one of Mike's classes there is, and you can refer back to it as often as you need to.

There are just a few things I'd change about the book if I could. These are truly minor quibbles, and probably only specific to the paperback version which I own, as I don't own an Apple branded product.

The book was clearly written with the digital medium in mind, as there are several references to links throughout the book which, when you have the paperback version such as I have, are of little value. If those links could be included as QR codes onto the printed pages, then the reader could use an electronic device to access that content, and it would make that content available to folks that don't own Apple specific products.

Also, the text is set to a very strict three column structure, and while it works for most pages, there are times when the picture referred to in the text is so far away from the text referencing it, I found myself hunting for the correct picture to go with the information. It makes for a tough read in those instances as it breaks my concentration in those moments. Perhaps a caption under the photos with related text or a Fig. 1, Fig. 2, etc. where appropriate would enhance the readability in those few spots.

Those two things aside, it's a very solid effort on behalf of Mr. Phillips, and a great resource to the detailing community about this beast of a machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Book Review: How to use the Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher

Great review on something different for a change. Thanks for a candid assessment. Sounds like everyone should order this book along with the machine as a compulsory tandem!

Post Thanks / Like

The first part of that book should be the manual for that machine, the rest is gravy.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good. Although if i'm spending $400 on a machine i want all of its "gravy" too. Again, thanks for taking the time to give us your book impressions. I know i will be getting a Flex eventually and i have thought about Mike's book as well. Some days i tell myself i don't really need it with my experience level and other days i say WTH...i should get Mike P's book on it!