autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Sonus Ion and Pinnacle Glassworks Water Spot Remover

Today I was finally able to clean my DD, polish the windows, and try out a new product that Autopia's facebook page had given me to review.

The new product is Sonus Ion. It was new when I was first offered but due to work and schedule conflicts I had never been able to break it out to try. Today was also the first time I have used the Glassworks.

Anyways, on to the goods. My daily driver is a 2013 Dodge Dart and it does not get the attention it deserves. I travel 80 miles round trip 10 days a month and it shows.

Review: Sonus Ion and Pinnacle Glassworks Water Spot Remover-uploadfromtaptalk1412389605678-jpg

After washing and claying the car, I was ready to tackle the windows. I was extremely skeptical of the Glassworks due to all of the horror threads I've read of people messing up their glass with other polishes. Once I had started polishing, I never looked back. I used a 5.5" White LC Foam Pad on my PC7424 and did two section passes on speed 5 with moderate arm speed after spreading the product on speed 2. The product is blue in color and is very thin. Spreads easily and wipe off is easy. I noticed towards the last couple windows that it was starting to dust but I can only assume that it was spent product.

I didn't take any 50/50 shots because I was pressed for time but it was a night and day difference. After 2 section passes, I had about 90% correction and was completely satisfied with that. Once the windows were polished, the car was washed again to remove any polishing residue and dust.

After the car was dried it was time to break out the Sonus. The Ion states that it can last up to a year and I'll be reviewing durability at a later time. The Ion comes with its own applicator but more about that in a minute. According to the instructions, the cure time for the Sonus was 30 minutes with a 4 hour "between coat" time. I applied the Sonus and you immediately see where the Ion part comes into play. If you hover your hand over where you applied the sealant, it'll make the hair on the back of your hand stand up.

After waiting for the 30 minute cure time, wiping the Ion off was extremely easy. I even had a couple spots that were exposed to direct sunlight and I had no issues with removal!

Review: Sonus Ion and Pinnacle Glassworks Water Spot Remover-uploadfromtaptalk1412389483345-jpgReview: Sonus Ion and Pinnacle Glassworks Water Spot Remover-uploadfromtaptalk1412389499628-jpgReview: Sonus Ion and Pinnacle Glassworks Water Spot Remover-uploadfromtaptalk1412389516008-jpg

Overall, I'm extremely happy with both products and can't wait to use them again. My biggest issue with either of them was that the supplied applicator that came with the Sonus seemed to soak up a lot of product. Cleaning it out was a chore but other than that, everything else was awesome.

I do not know why i waited so long to try this stuff! It gives the paint a nice wet look and if the durability holds up through the winter, I'll have a new favorite sealant.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online
    Mike Frickman
    Owner/Operator
    On Scene Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Sonus Ion and Pinnacle Glassworks Water Spot Remover

nice, please keep us posted on the sonus ion coating. i have so many other lsp's and have been on the fence on ordering it...

Post Thanks / Like

Will do. The longer durability is supposed to come from two coats but I wanted to see what 1 got me first.

Mike Frickman
    Owner/Operator
    On Scene Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mfrickman View Post
    Will do. The longer durability is supposed to come from two coats but I wanted to see what 1 got me first.

Any updates on sonus ion, I was going to offer it to a client just wondering how durability was?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bottle I got as a freebie and plan on using it eventually. Maybe check back in a year and I'll give you the heads up.