autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

BLACKFIRE Total Trim & Tire Sealant - Review

For this review, I'm going to share my experience applying BLACKFIRE’s brand-new Total Trim & Tire Sealant:

From AG's product page for BLACKFIRE’s Total Trim & Tire Sealant:
    "Restores, protects, and enhances exterior trim of any color!
    BLACKFIRE Total Trim & Tire Sealant is the solution to an issue that plagues almost every vehicle manufactured in the last 30 years – dull, faded, and discolored plastic exterior trim. This thick, gel-like formula penetrates deep into the pores of plastic, rubber, and vinyl exterior trim, restoring the finish to factory-new condition. A traditional trim dressing might last a week or two if you’re lucky; BLACKFIRE Total Trim & Tire Sealant provides MONTHS of durable protection. Use it on tires as a long-lasting, waterproof dressing!"
    Prior to applying TT&TS to my wife’s 2012 Subaru Impreza, I:

• Washed the car with DP’s Power Wash,(Review here)
    • Prepped the trim pieces with Detailer’s Pro Series Cleanse-All Exterior Cleaner.
    • Thoroughly scrubbed the tires cleaned with Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner

TT&TS instructions seem simple enough:

Surfaces clean, cool and dry, check check and check. Apply a nickel-sized amount to applicator, check:

TT&TS has a thick non-runny gel like consistency. The color reminds me of blueberry yogurt. It has no noticeable odor. Even though the directions don't call for it, I still gave the bottle a quick shake before use.

TT&TS on trim:

While applying to trim, TT&TS spreads very easily. I did need to buff off a little excess so scale back your nickel to a dime size or smaller amount when needed. The results are excellent as demonstrated by this 50/50 shot:

Close up:

For a 2 year old garage kept car, I wasn’t expecting to see such a clear difference in treated vs untreated surfaces but TT&TS clearly restored the trim to a much darker state.

TT&TS on tires:

Again, application is fairly straight forward with the included poly foam applicator. However, TT&TS does get caught in textured surfaces:

As a way to deal with this, I used my trusty tire dressing applicator brush and very slowly brush the excess product up and out of the textured areas. This helps avoid TT&TS fling onto the paint:

Brushed:

Once the whole tire is brushed, a quick wipe with the dry side of the poly foam applicator further evens out the application.

After waiting a short time TT&TS is dry and ready for a 50/50 shot:

Looking from the top down:

Again, TT&TS preformed well leaving the tires with an even semi-gloss deep black. For good measure I added a second coating of TT&TS for longer lasting protection.

Conclusion:

On smooth trim surfaces, BLACKFIRE Total Trim & Tire Sealant does what it claims. It's easy to use and darkens the surface applied to with only minor buffing required. On tires it also does what it claims, however with textured surfaces, make sure you have a brush handy to even out the initial poly foam application. This isn’t being critical of TT&TS, I’ve had the same issue with UTTG+ on textured tire surfaces as well.

Long term durability is yet to be confirmed however I'm planning on updating this thread with observations over the coming months.

Atmospheric conditions at time of review:

Additional comments:
    While removing the shipping seal under the cap, I forgot about my super-human strength and managed to snap the flip top off:

Oops! If this happens to you, the flip top from any PBMG 2oz sample bottle fits the TT&TS bottle perfectly.

List of products used:

As always, I hope this review was helpful!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BLACKFIRE Total Trim & Tire Sealant - Review

You do some great reviews!

I purchased this product recently too. I'm going to use it on some engine pieces as well as exterior trim. Thanks for sharing. Great tip on the brush for application. I have textured tires too, and use a brush to even things out sometimes with certain products.

Good job bud, keep these write ups coming!
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    You do some great reviews!

I purchased this product recently too. I'm going to use it on some engine pieces as well as exterior trim. Thanks for sharing. Great tip on the brush for application. I have textured tires too, and use a brush to even things out sometimes with certain products.

Good job bud, keep these write ups coming!
    Thanks, Chris! I appreciate the kind words.

TT&TS is going to look great on those engine and trim pieces of yours. I was honestly surprised how much darker it made the Subaru's trim. I almost skipped using it since i didn't think it was going to do much. I was wrong!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Thanks, Chris! I appreciate the kind words.

TT&TS is going to look great on those engine and trim pieces of yours. I was honestly surprised how much darker it made the Subaru's trim. I almost skipped using it since i didn't think it was going to do much. I was wrong!!
    You're welcome. Btw. How much total product used? I only got the 4oz(it's for me only hahaha, no one else). Curious about how much it took to apply to the tires. If I have extra I'd like to try it once my Eco Touch Tire Shine dies out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    You're welcome. Btw. How much total product used? I only got the 4oz(it's for me only hahaha, no one else). Curious about how much it took to apply to the tires. If I have extra I'd like to try it once my Eco Touch Tire Shine dies out.
    Good question, I didn't use very much at all for the whole car. Maybe 2 nickle size drops per tire? So perhaps 1/2oz for all 4 tires and the trim? It's really a guess though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Good question, I didn't use very much at all for the whole car. Maybe 2 nickle size drops per tire? So perhaps 1/2oz for all 4 tires and the trim? It's really a guess though.
    Thanks, yeah its not a perfect science, so thanks for a ballpark figure, just want to know what I am in for hahaha.

Great review man!

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good tip about using the brush to apply the TT&TS, I'll have to try that. I applied it with just the foam applicator this weekend on textured tires, like yours, and I wasn't happy with the outcome. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by actuator_mz3 View Post
    That's a good tip about using the brush to apply the TT&TS, I'll have to try that. I applied it with just the foam applicator this weekend on textured tires, like yours, and I wasn't happy with the outcome. Thanks.
    Cool, glad the brush tip was helpful. I would highly suggest picking one up to anyone who doesn't already own it. A very useful tool to have in your arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like

This product was dry to the touch after it...er...dried?

Post Thanks / Like

After about 20 minutes yes TT&TS was dry to the touch.

Out of curiosity, I walked out and touched one of the tires and a piece of trim and I did notice a finger mark was left on the tire but not the trim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast