autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire Black Ice Review

Hello,

I was eager to try some "color charged" wax on my Modern Steel Metallic Accord.

My car is extremely well maintained and the prep was really minimal. I used an opti eraser to get any "stuff" off the paint and then got the wax out.

This wax in the container has a chemical smell to it. Does not appear any fragrances were added to it. Having said that, when actually using it, I smelled nothing. While it is jet black in the container, it actually dries to a very light gray, almost white.

I applied it super thin. As PJ from Dodo Juice once told me, if you are getting any wax on the surface of the paint, you are getting enough. And watching Mike Stoops do a demo for Meguiars, he also used a story that chemistry dictates only so much wax will bond to the surface of the paint, any more is just wasting product. Having said that, I am not sure I could have applied it any thinner.

This is not as buttery smooth of a wax as Souveran, but it is easy enough to apply. As per the directions, I let it haze for about 10-15 minutes and removal was easy.

My initial impressions were eh...didnt seem to be anything different from Fuzion...but like some waxes I think after wipeoff, and giving it some time to cure, it seemed to get glossier. i notice the same thing when I use Souveran. I am not sure I will truly be able to test durability because I am always using spray waxes and quick detailers.

Now lets let the pictures tell teh story:

BTW Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire gel is on the tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire Black Ice Review

Looks beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent! Give BlackICE sometime to cure and BF Midnight Sun Detailer or BF Polymer Spray is amazing over BlackICE...

Post Thanks / Like

Black Ice is nice but has a chemical smell to me.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Black Ice is nice but has a chemical smell to me.
    Kiwi shoe polish smell...

Post Thanks / Like

Like I always say, smell or scent doesn't make a product work any better, perfumes and scents are used to make products more attractive to buyers. I sold jan-san products for years and it always amazed me how easy it was to sell a good smelling product though it may not be as effective as a less attractive scent.

That being said, I put a coat of Black Ice on top of my two week cured PBL Diamond Sealant yesterday and I was truly amazed, which is not easy. I just don't think you'll see as big a difference on a grey car than you would on black with BI. I have put DoDo Blue Velvet, Souveran, Fuzion, Supernatural, CG 53, 50/50 and Celeste D (big waste of $$)on my GC over the two years I've owned it. I have to say for depth and wet look Black Ice stands above all those on my black paint.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Like I always say, smell or scent doesn't make a product work any better, perfumes and scents are used to make products more attractive to buyers. I sold jan-san products for years and it always amazed me how easy it was to sell a good smelling product though it may not be as effective as a less attractive scent.

That being said, I put a coat of Black Ice on top of my two week cured PBL Diamond Sealant yesterday and I was truly amazed, which is not easy. I just don't think you'll see as big a difference on a grey car than you would on black with BI. I have put DoDo Blue Velvet, Souveran, Fuzion, Supernatural, CG 53, 50/50 and Celeste D (big waste of $$)on my GC over the two years I've owned it. I have to say for depth and wet look Black Ice stands above all those on my black paint.
    I'm in 100% agreement with you there, who cares what it smells like, does it have the wow factor! It's really hard to go up against a black waxed car - beautiful clean nightmare when dirty...

Post Thanks / Like

I did not smell anything when I was actually using it. I had to stick my nose up to the jar to smell the chemical smell.

I can see that the gloss has amped up a little. It seems to need a little curing time. I notice the same thing when I use Souveran. I thought it was my imagination, but maybe its not

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful! I agree as far as the "cure" time. Not sure if your experience is the same as mine for Souveran, but when I wipe off the wax, it isn't as slick initially, but let it sit in the garage or "cure" for a while and the gloss seems to get amped up and gets slicker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast