autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

REVIEW: Tornador Black

If you guys read my previous review regarding the severely neglected BMW 335i hard top convertible (REVIEW: Menzerna PF2500), well this is a review of what we used and did on the inside.

The vehicle: 2008 BMW 335i hard top convertible
    Condition: Severely neglected. Leather surface was embedded with body oils, dirt and grime, transfer dies (and Lord knows what else)
    Task: Revive this beauty queen
    Product: Tornador Black, Sonus All-in-1

Z-020 Tornador Black Car Cleaning Gun, Z-020 Tornador Black

This will be a short and sweet review since the synopsis story behind the car can be found in the other thread.

After using the tornador to detail the door jams, vents, nobs and all the other nook and crannies, we were left with the leather. We diluted 2 cap full of Sonus All-in-1 and proceeded with the leather cleaning.

Here is a before showing the condition of the leather.

Here is the Tornador in action. After liberally spraying the surface with the APC, we let it sit for a 10 seconds and then chased the dirt to the towel which was carefully placed around the armrest.

Did we use a brush..... NOPE! I guess we were lucky that the dirt layer was on top of dirt layer etc... and it came off without any mechanical agitation. The seats were a different story. We did have to agitate (horse hair brush). Here is a 50-50 on the seat. I taped and cleaned one side, and left the other side for comparison.

Now back to the armrest. This is the final result after drying but before the conditioning.

I was apprehensive at first to shell out the money for the Tornador but I would not detail without it. I use it for detailing badges and emblems, to clean body seams, to clean door jams and weatherstripping and clean in the window gasketing.

It does has some draw backs. My biggest one is that you cannot use it upside down or even pointing completely vertically down because of the vent holes (liquid leaks). My second complaint is the dispensing valve is not exactly micro adjustment. It does tend to be an all or nothing. I may be missing something but in any case, it is not enough of a draw back to not give it

Post Thanks / Like

Re: REVIEW: Tornador Black

Nice review! Looks like it works quite well.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review!

Post Thanks / Like

What's the compressor specs you're using with it ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaC View Post
    What's the compressor specs you're using with it ?
    I guess I should have put that down as one of those pseudo problems.

For continuous use or heavy duty cleaning (like doing carpets) you definitely want a 30 gallon. I currently use a 6.5hp 30 gallon Craftsman and never have to stop. It keeps up with me set at 90PSI. I do have to say that the compressor goes non-stop though.

If you are doing small things like vents, dash, nobs or taking your time with cleaning the door jams/weatherstripping, you can function with something smaller, but if you are into the heavy duty detailing, you definitely need something that keeps up (30 gallons)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    I guess I should have put that down as one of those pseudo problems.

For continuous use or heavy duty cleaning (like doing carpets) you definitely want a 30 gallon. I currently use a 6.5hp 30 gallon Craftsman and never have to stop. It keeps up with me set at 90PSI. I do have to say that the compressor goes non-stop though.

If you are doing small things like vents, dash, nobs or taking your time with cleaning the door jams/weatherstripping, you can function with something smaller, but if you are into the heavy duty detailing, you definitely need something that keeps up (30 gallons)
    I want to buy one of these but the most reasonable compressor that will fit both my budget and space limit is a:
    13 gal / 10 cfm / 2.5hp compressor.....

I will probably have to wait for it to catch up after a couple of minutes running.... or not ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaC View Post
    I want to buy one of these but the most reasonable compressor that will fit both my budget and space limit is a:
    13 gal / 10 cfm / 2.5hp compressor.....

I will probably have to wait for it to catch up after a couple of minutes running.... or not ?
    You are correct!. @ 13 gallons it should not take too long. Personally, I am one that likes to get going and usually don't stop for ANYTHING! I do door jams, then gaskets, then panels, then windows, then sills and go and go and go.... and could not do it if I did not have the larger capacity compressor.

I wish I had something smaller for testing purposes but I am planning on pipping my shop with a 60 gallons, so I am going in the wrong direction for you guys.

For mobile detailers (or smaller shops), you can do tasks in a sequence of Tornador, something else (while the compressor is filling), then Tornador.....

Is it worth it for the small guys???..... I will not EVER do carpets or gaskets or vents without it and if it breaks I will get another one.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Review! Pretty much covered anything. Cleaning carpets really is a pain, I've been looking at Black tornador to aid me in this task. Can you compare this with steam cleaner? Thanks!
    Ej

Post Thanks / Like

OMG. That interior was filthy! I feel better now that you took care of it.

Thanks for the review. I bet it was a different change of pace compared to scrubbing everything with a brush.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    It does has some draw backs. My biggest one is that you cannot use it upside down or even pointing completely vertically down because of the vent holes (liquid leaks). My second complaint is the dispensing valve is not exactly micro adjustment. It does tend to be an all or nothing. I may be missing something but in any case, it is not enough of a draw back to not give it
    Maybe not a long term fix but if you tape over the vent holes I found if you turn it vertically down it will not leak. Bottle was about half full when I did this. On interiors sometimes you have to hold it at strange angles and the dripping was a PITA. I hit the vents with two strips of electrical tape and no more drips.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast