autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

REVIEW: Pinnacle Black Label Coating Booster

I know..... I promised to do a review a while back but just now coming around to getting it done. My excuse is that work has been kicking me in the behind, which is a good thing!

For those that don't want to read the whole review, let me answer your main questions, which are:

Question: Does the product work as advertised?
    Answer: Yes, but.....

Question: Does the product apply as instructed?

Question: Did you like the product?

Question: Would you buy the product?

As you can see, it was a very positive experience, but a few questions remain for me. So on to the deeper review!!

What is the product? Pinnacle Black Label Coating Booster is a product advertised as a "diluted" version of its coating "Big Brother" which is to be used periodically (every 2-3 months) as part of a maintenance routine to boost the original coating and therefore prolong its effective life expectancy (from the claimed 3 years). Its effects have been described as follow:

- It will increase the gloss
    - It will deepen the color
    - It will restore the slickness
    - It will restore the water beading sheeting qualities
    - It will extend the life expectancy of the original coating

How do I apply this booster? The answer to this one is simple, you need a clean, cool and contaminant free surface. Starting with a good substrate (the original coating is a must). Having a good coating to start with will prevent the adherence of those contaminants. According to the instructions:

Directions:
    1) Shake well.
    2) Ensure surface is clean and cool the touch.
    3) Spray product directly onto surface and evenly distribute using a Gold Plush Microfiber Towel or Lake Country Coating Applicator.
    4) Work product into surface until it disappears.
    5) Buff off excess residue with a Gold Plush Microfiber Towel.

Pretty simple right??

Well, what kind of review would this be without a hands-on example, right?

The subject: 2013 Ford Raptor (daily driver), my personal vehicle. I did coat the truck in early January. Here is the review: Pinnacle Black Label Coatings in Action! Pictures and Video!
    The condition: You need to ask?????
    The process: Pre-soak to remove the dirt and grime (and pollen and bee doodoo).
    - Foam Cannon w/ CG Honeydew foam soap
    - Hand wash with a Gold MF wash mitt
    - Air dried with my shop vac and finished with cobra waffle weave
    - Inspection
    - 10% IPA wipedown with a Cobra 530 (I know they don't call for it but it only made sense)
    - PBL Booster application with a tire dressing block and a 40x40cm Carpro suede microfiber, working the product till it dissapeared
    - Final buff off with a 600gsm MF towel

You want some pics? Here they are:

This is the condition of the truck at the time of the wash.... DIRTY by my standards:

Here is a nice shot of the foam action as it glides right off the paint (I love the "foam show" but nothing stick well to the coated paint so it was sliding off FAST!... kinda disappointing! LOL!)

Here is a shot of the product before application

and here is a shot of the application technique (Please notice the nitrile gloves. They are a must in my opinion to prevent cross contamination from body oils or other contaminants you may have on your hands (while handling the sponge/MF))

Here is a reflection shot after

..... and the obligatory beading/sheeting (which was done 24 hrs after the application)

And a glamor shot of the truck:

Not too shaby right?

Here is a Q&A I had with PBMG about the product based on questions that came to mind while detailing my truck:

Q: Don't using the booster trap environmental contaminant under its protective layering?
    A: Diamond Coating Booster should only be applied to CLEAN surfaces. Wash the vehicle first, then apply the Booster. Regular application of the Booster (once every couple months) will help resist the build-up of contaminants.

Q: Will the booster be "softer" and therefore less scratch resistant than the original formulation
    A: It is not as hard as the underlying coating, so it's not going to increase scratch resistance.

Q: Is the booster an AIO (same as the surface coating) or is it more of a dedicated surface product
    A:The Booster is designed to be applied to all HARD exterior surfaces.

Q: Do you need to have a surgically clean surface to apply the booster (use coating prep) or is it ok to coat on top of residue (wash residue, previous spray sealant like V07 etc...)?? Would that also reduce the life expectancy of the coating booster?
    A:The Booster will not bond as well if you've been using carnauba and polymer-based products on the coating. Durability will be shortened, but not by much. As a stand alone product, the Booster will easily last 6 months.

Q: Is the application process similar to the coating in which you should use a coating applicator or a suede microfiber or wax applicator or is it formulation to be sprayed with one side of the Cobra and buffed with the other side.
    A:I personally use a Lake Country Coating Applicator, but a lot of people like to use a microfiber towel. Application is similar to the coating.

Pretty interesting and it did raise a few more questions for me.

Here are a few things to ponder:

1) The 8 oz Booster is $39.99 whereas the Coating is $129.99 (essentially 1/3 of the price)
    2) The prep for both are equally extensive, meaning you need a surgically clean substrate to provide the best adherence of the product (which ever you use)
    3) The Booster offers a "softer" surface than the Coating, making it less scratch resistance (and I am assuming that other qualities associated with the original coating have been reduced as well)
    4) This is my 4 use of the PBL coating product line and do wonder if the claims of up to 25 vehicles is not too exaggerated. From my experience so far I would say that you could get 1/2 that claim but would be hard pressed to see 20s, unless you are coating Smart cars.

Conclusion: Well, we do need to conclude this thread. I will start by saying that I did like the product and it did perform very well. I did notice a deeper gloss and a more vibrant black. The slickness was less than original coating and the beads were not as "WOW!" but the coating performance did seem to get enhanced. I am unable at this time to comment as to the increased longevity of the original coating as there is no long term studies or report on the longevity claim period. So will this product increase the expected longevity? I don't know!?!?!

Would I buy the product again, I would have to say yes to this one (over the detailer which I did not like much), but I do wonder why not simply recoat (since you are going through the same hassle to prep the paint) over using the booster. Yes, the Coating does cost more, but you are enhancing the qualities over the original coating multifold using the original Coating over the Booster!!?!

I hope you enjoyed and looking forward to your comments.

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: REVIEW: Pinnacle Black Label Coating Booster

excellent in depth review claude, your pictures are always top notch. I appreciate your insight on this product and as a black label line user myself I've certainly been interested in it.
    I'd really like to see this product performing on its own (not as a reload style) to see the standalone qualities of it.

now this is sharp!

Looking forward to your future updates!

Post Thanks / Like

You sure know how to pamper a ford...nice review too

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review, been waiting for this.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review and pictures.

I have had PBL Coating topped with PBL Sealant on my wife's SUV for 6 months now and it is wash dry and it shines. It beads and sheds water well making it easy to dry so I am with you that whenever that starts to wane, I'll just re-do the SUV with the same process rather than have a booster.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review and some thought provoking questions Claude! I personally would just add another layer of coating...

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, I was looking forward to hear your thought on this booster.

Would you know if I can apply the coating to a coated car (NOV/DEZ/2013) using the same process you've made, but using the proper coating (not the booster) would have beneficial effect?

Or any adverse effect like high spots and marring?

Hope you understood my question.

Ah, have I said you have the most beautiful black truck around? Man, that looks very well maintained. The quoted picture above made me speechless.

Thanks for sharing,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review Claude, I think I'm sold on this now. Once the weather breaks I'll probably do a thorough wash, iron x, maybe wipe down with nano skin, and then apply this. Seems to serve the same function as reload.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Incredible in depth review Claude!!

Man that truck looks outstanding!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
    excellent in depth review claude, your pictures are always top notch. I appreciate your insight on this product and as a black label line user myself I've certainly been interested in it.
    I'd really like to see this product performing on its own (not as a reload style) to see the standalone qualities of it.

now this is sharp!

Looking forward to your future updates!
    According to my chat with PBMG, it should give 6 months, the PBL sealant has claims to 1 year. I definitely would like to see a split hood long term review. Anybody interested??

Quote Originally Posted by jamesboyy View Post
    You sure know how to pamper a ford...nice review too
    I do have another Ford that is a little more pampered, a 68 Mustang Fastback Restomod. I shall do a Show N' Shine when it comes back from being worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSP View Post
    Thanks for the review, been waiting for this.
    You're welcomed!

Quote Originally Posted by Centexhokie View Post
    Nice review and pictures.

I have had PBL Coating topped with PBL Sealant on my wife's SUV for 6 months now and it is wash dry and it shines. It beads and sheds water well making it easy to dry so I am with you that whenever that starts to wane, I'll just re-do the SUV with the same process rather than have a booster.

I do have to say that I am been pleased with the coating so far. It is a breeze to maintain and does not seem to let dirt adhere to well to it (so a nice rain while at work and the truck almost looks like it's been through the carwash). Dust and pollen on the other hand do not differentiate between coated or sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by 281 View Post
    Great review and some thought provoking questions Claude! I personally would just add another layer of coating...
    Thanks! I did ponder the same question. I am still waiting to finish my 8oz. of coating to tabulate how many vehicles I can coat (I am a self admitted heavy hand). I will do a personal cost analysis after.

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    Thank you, I was looking forward to hear your thought on this booster.

Would you know if I can apply the coating to a coated car (NOV/DEZ/2013) using the same process you've made, but using the proper coating (not the booster) would have beneficial effect?

Or any adverse effect like high spots and marring?

Hope you understood my question.

Ah, have I said you have the most beautiful black truck around? Man, that looks very well maintained. The quoted picture above made me speechless.

Thanks for sharing,

Kind Regards.
    From what I understand you can reapply the coating up to full cure which is 30 days, but haven't tested it. I think the idea of the booster is to have a less expensive throw away protective layer, which even if it did not bond would not be as costly as a failed second layer of coating. I hope Nick or Meghan jump in this thread to enlighten us

I doubt you will have high spots and marring is more about technique than the product. Don't forget that anytime you touch the paint you run the chance of producing defects

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post
    Nice review Claude, I think I'm sold on this now. Once the weather breaks I'll probably do a thorough wash, iron x, maybe wipe down with nano skin, and then apply this. Seems to serve the same function as reload.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You know Eric, I did not even think about doing an IronX treatment/test. Maybe next time!?! Thanks for posting your comment. So far I haven't had to decontaminate so the nanoskin stayed far from the paint

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Incredible in depth review Claude!!

Man that truck looks outstanding!!
    That truck is more thrilling to ride than to look at, believe me! I still wait the day I can afford a M-series BMW!!!

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast