autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Iron-X Snow Soap

Iron-X snow soap was designed to be used on coated cars as a maintenance product. Since it has the ability to remove a light amount of industrial fall out, it is more aggressive than your typical car wash soap.

On the two cars that I used it on, the Snow Soap left the paint feeling squeaky clean. After seeing its performance today on a very dirty vehicle, I am certain that this stuff cleans better than Dawn. I also noticed that the paint coating (Opti-Coat) sheeted/beaded significantly better after using this product, so clearly this soap did something to return the coating to a like-new performance.

The application process is a bit different though -- it was never intended to be used in a bucket. One of the recommended methods of use can inflict marks if you are not careful. If the car is extremely dirty, for cost-effective use, you may want to wash with a normal shampoo first, then do a second-wash with Iron-X snow soap. Foaming the car with Iron-X Snow Soap may not be cost-effective.

This was my method of using Iron-X Snow Soap: get a lightly wet wool wash mitt, apply two dime-sized drops, lather up, and wash a panel. Rinse out the mitt in a bucket of clean water after each panel.

The Snow Soap will generate a lot of thick suds, and the suds will cling to the panels for quite a while, even if the car is coated:

In terms of cost-effectiveness, this is how much was left after doing both a Prius and an Altima using the method described above. Prior to this, the bottle was brand-new:

All done!

To recap,

Pros: Awesome cleaning ability, ability to restore paint coatings to a like-new performance level by degreasing and removing light contamination, no added waxes or gloss enhancers

Cons: Odor, cost, slight irritation to skin after prolonged use.

Thanks for reading!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Iron-X Snow Soap

Thanks for the review

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Critic View Post
    One of the recommended methods of use can inflict marks if you are not careful.

To recap,

Pros: Awesome cleaning ability, ability to restore paint coatings to a like-new performance level by degreasing and removing light contamination, no added waxes or gloss enhancers

Cons: Odor, cost, slight irritation to skin after prolonged use.

Thanks for reading!
    Nice review. Glad to know the Opti-Coat performed/sheeted better after the Snow Soap. Obviously there were some contaminants interfering with the sheeting action.

What is the "Recommended method of use" that might cause marring?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i think iron x is a great soap for preping a car also my method is power wash rinse then iron x snow with a foam cannon then re rinse then i go in with a 2 bucket method then rinse i then go to an iron remover spray let that dwell then rinse and then go over the entire car with my nano scrub wash mit with onr mixed with megs hyper wash rinse

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angler View Post
    Nice review. Glad to know the Opti-Coat performed/sheeted better after the Snow Soap. Obviously there were some contaminants interfering with the sheeting action.

What is the "Recommended method of use" that might cause marring?
    Apply the soap directly to the mitt is my concern. You do not get the same amount of soapy water on the surface, as you do with the traditional wash method. With this method, it feels like you're spreading some thick suds across the surface -- the mitt does not glide as easily.

Post Thanks / Like

In light of this what then is the best way to use this?
    2018 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R Crystal White Pearl, 2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Oxford White Clearcoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review Michael.

I have used this in conjunction with Iron-X to make sure I get every last bit of contamination. My method is adding this to a foam gun and soaking the vehicle with it. Then let I let it sit on the surface to break up the contamination and I will follow the suds with a 2BM. After that I will hose the vehicle down and then spray Iron-X on the surface which will catch the last bit of contamination. This may be a bit overkill, but it produces contaminated free results every time.

Hopefully I didn't de rail your write up.