autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordered a bottle ( due to the review....great write up btw) I have a jeep wrangler coming in Friday. This is a routine customer. There are certain places that I've tried everything in my arsenal and just can't get clean so I end up touching then up every few months with UTTTG . Looking forward to seeing what this will do!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: NEW 2014 Mothers Back-to-Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner

A-train I've used it on Wrangler fender flares and it worked great.

Post Thanks / Like
    A-train I've used it on Wrangler fender flares and it worked great.

Good deal. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BFEHB View Post
    For me this product worked very well, especially on the oxidized areas. Did you use the brush and agitate those troubled areas thoroughly? I was 100% satisfied with this product, for me it did produce miraculous results. This will be my cleaner of choice moving forward. I find Mother's products to be very solid - I use this, VLR and their Protectant consistently.

I have not used 1Z Cleaner but I have heard it is very good. However, it is pretty expensive compared to the Mother's product though right?
    Yeah, now I've re-read my post it did not come out right. I didn't mean to knock the product like that. The product does work very well. I guess all the 'golly gee that stuff looks great' posts bothered me. I have been and will continue to use this product as part of a multistep clean up of plastic trim. The combo Mother's Trim cleaner, then normal prep washing and then finishing with the 1Z Deep Plastic cleaner together leaves trim old trim looking nearly new. I do use the brush that came with it, the Pre-Wow trim brush of a MF cloth to scrub the plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otruba_843 View Post
    Looks nice, but can you explain to me how a cleaner is going to restore years of fading from UV exposure? Thats the part I don't get. It does look like a solid product though.
    Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post
    The cleaner/brush combo loosens and lifts deeply embedded dirt, old wax and the layer of oxidation off the plastic/rubber surface, leaving a clean surface behind. It's the same principle of removing oxidation from a painted surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Your trim looked quite oxidized before and to be honest, it doesn't look much less oxidized after the product had been applied.

A few other questions...

Does the product have a slick silicone like feel when you get it on your fingers?

Does it leave a slimy feel like a strong APC might leave if you get it on your fingers?

...just trying to incite some deeper thought or discussion on the product and it's application methods.
    Quote Originally Posted by mg6045 View Post
    ive got to try this. this looks and sound almost too go to be true. how is it darkening the trim so much ??
    Ok, so the results people have gotten with this product seemed so good, that despite the warnings in this thread that the product is just a cleaner, and not a restorer/dressing, I had to buy some. The product itself is a thick, clear gel, and when I first saw it I said--oh crap, this is just silicone oil...so I rubbed some between my fingers, and it felt all slippery, and I said, yup, silicone oil...then I washed it off and it came off my fingers with no residue...and I concluded it's just a gel cleaner.

I just couldn't wrap my head around how this product could restore-by-cleaning UV-damaged trim. The problem was none of the cars in my sphere of influence had candidate trim--they are all coated or dressed, and well...NOT JACKED UP ENOUGH. A friend that I was helping with something else had a really bad cowling, but it hardly stuck out from under the hood and you really couldn't see it or get to it.

So the product sat on my shelf until I couldn't take it anymore, and I found a random car in a parking lot to try it on (that might not be exactly how it happened, but you want to hear the results, right?).

As found:

After cleaning with some diluted Simple Green and wiping off (hey, it's what was available to me):

So I taped off a section and scrubbed it up with the product and wiped off with a towel as the instructions recommended (bear in mind this is indirect lighting so it looked better in person)...holy restoration Batman!

Then my brain started working...if this is a gel cleaner...don't I have to wash it off instead of wiping it dry? What's going to happen when the car gets washed or it rains? So I found a gallon of water and poured it over the spot, and rubbed it with my fingers a couple of times....

Then I dried off my test spot....(the small drops are rain)

So basically it was back to the post-initial wipedown. Could I have used more product and scrubbed harder and longer? I guess. At any rate, this isn't a restorer (which of course is just what Forrest said in this thread), I just got all excited with the results people were sharing.

This does however seem to be a good product for cleaning your trim before dressing or coating (duh, that's what it says in the name of the product, heavy-duty cleaner), since it's a gel, it clings, and it comes with a nice brush (so you don't have to steal your wife's toothbrush, boy did my back hurt after sleeping on the couch for a week, I told her it was time for a new one anyway). I would just rinse it off before you apply your "LSP".

Post Thanks / Like

Another great review , I sure do reading yours
    Keep them coming.

I bet the cleaner would work well with the Wolfgang Trim Sealant.
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you enjoyed it HateSwirls.

Setec, way to give the product a shot. Your results are similar to mine. This product isnt going to perform miracles, it just works. Many members here doubted the product because its from "Mothers". I can only help to chuckle sometimes

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this product a special order? I have not seen it at any store.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elsemental View Post
    Pep boys has it on sale for $6 i believe until the first week or 2 in May. Oreilly has a package deal, buy the trim cleaner and get back to black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by elsemental View Post

Here you go:

http://www.autogeek.net/best-car-wax...stic-trim.html

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast