autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Black Label Coatings in Action! Pictures and Video!

You've asked for it!!

I've seen plenty threads (including mine) which shows the pre and post coating pictures. In all cases the results are crazy outstanding, and I have to say that I am a believer enough in the Pinnacle Coating line that I decided to coat "The Beast". As you may know (if you've read some of my prior threads) my Raptor is the subject of many experimentations, so why did I choose to coat it?

Reason #1: The results! I've used the Black Label coatings on multiple vehicle now, and each and every time I have been blown away by the gloss, translucence, deepening of the base color etc.. In the case of "The Beast" I am able to enjoy one more adjective..... flake pop! This product unlike any other (wax, sealant or otherwise) enhanced the tuxedo black flake to jaw dropping level. My son (and business partner) kept stepping back shaking his head mumbling "UNBELIEVABLE!".

Reason #2: Coatings are the future I may get flack for saying it but.....

We cannot deny that the market share is slowly starting to favor semi-permanent and permanent coatings. Since my truck is my "showcase" it makes perfect sense that if I want to sell a customer on the benefits of a coating that I should have my own truck as THE example.

Reason #3: Products are being developed which work with coatings, so my abilities to experiment is not hindered by coating my truck but rather takes on a different direction. I had resisted the urge to coat my truck because I do love to experiment with new products, but according to AG the Black Label coatings can be topped. We shall see!

Now a few questions remain regarding the products/product lines, so we have to pool our shared experiences to properly describe and sell our customers on the benefits.

Here are a few questions I have come across, have somewhat answered, and/or have had a chance to ask the knowledgeable AG staff.

Q) How hard are the Pinnacle Coatings to apply??
    A) In my experience, this coating line can be categorized as novice friendly. Granted the application directions need a little improvements and I do hope that AG create an end all "How-to"...... but regardless of your skill level, if you read what is on the forum currently, plan your project methodically, and take your time, you can't mess this up!. Even if you did mess it up, you are adding product to the clear coat so restarting does not leave you worse for wear.

Q) How long should I wait to expose my vehicle to rain (or other forms of moisture)?
    A) Well, the answers I have is that you should allow a cure time of 12 hrs before exposing the coating to moisture. We shall finally have a first hand account as I coated my truck yesterday (finished around 5pm) and it was exposed to our South Louisiana torrential rain this morning (7:45am). I shall report on water spotting sometime in the near future. I suspect that I should be fine.

Q) How long should I wait before washing my truck?
    A) I was told about 1 week, and I shall report on that as well!

So how does it look?? and how well does it work??

Ok, enough with the blah, blah and lets get on to the results. The products tested were the dedicated paint coating and glass coating.

This is not a Show 'N Shine so no before pictures or after glamour shots. The after pictures won't reflect the quality work I do but rather the beading and shedding qualities of the product tested. I could not take a picture of the flake because the weather is YUK! so you will have to trust me on that reported finding.

Here is what the truck looked like in the shop before going to work and exposing it to rain.

And this is some beading pictures off the front fender (constant light rain)

And after a few minutes of getting wet.....

Those large beads were LAUNCHING off the paint... You don't trust me, check out the video!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsllVEqtUAI]Review - Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating - YouTube[/video]

Here are some pictures of the water accumulating on the sunroof (while stuck in traffic).... HUGE BEADS! (larger ones were around 3/4" to 1")

And how does the glass coating work? The following video is taken with light to moderate rain driving around 40-42 mph (see the speed limit sign). Water was shedding off the glass at high 20s, which is much better than the sealants I have used before

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET05gJ-aeEI]Review - Pinnacle Black Label Glass Coating - YouTube[/video]

**NOTE** Please don't start commenting on how reckless I was driving with one hand and taking videos. FYI, my iPhone was clipped to my visor, so no need to be concerned for my safety. I treat enough MVA patients to know the importance of 2 hands on the wheel

So maybe we don't have any more answers than what we started with but we finally have a visual reference and the potential of some important future update (on these products and possibly experiments with toppers).

I sure hope you enjoyed! Feel free to add your comments to the thread, hijack the thread with questions etc....

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Black Label Coatings in Action! Pictures and Video!

Thanks, Claude, for this posting:
    I know it takes a lot of time and effort to do so!

My only comment is that:
    I do realize that ~30 days is a lot to ask for...
    But I do wish the dedicated PBL-Coatings could have stayed out any "wetting-situations"...
    and all other "being touched"-states as well, until they had a much longer time to approach: 'Full-cure'.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I fully agree with you Bob, that in the perfect application that we could keep the coated vehicle in a "bubble" until the coating is fully cured.... but such is not "real" life.

Lets be honest, I was more than mad when I saw that it was raining this morning, but realized that it would be the perfect "testing and reporting" situation. I normally keep coated vehicles 1-2 days in the shop before letting the customer take possession of them but how many detailers have that luxury?

We need some real world experience describing the realities we deal with every day. I will be one of hopefully many to report on the resiliency of the product (to rain) after a mere 12 hr cure time. Laboratory testing may prove one thing whereas real world testing provide a whole different set of results.

Thanks for the reply Bob, and looking forward to read more of your insightful postings

Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

OUTCH!!!

173 views and Bob was the only comment I got!?!!? Did I misjudge the forum member's desire to see the product in action?

In any case, after close to 1" of rain we had yesterday and the frustration of driving to and from work on roads saturated with sugarcane field mud (we just finished grinding season and I do have a mill on my way to work, less than a mile from my house) I came home as the sun was going down and noticed that my truck was still clean (with the exception of the tailgate and some trailings under the 6.2L and from the handle). I offer the following as a visual testament that the coating claims that dirt and road grime won't stick to the paint are true. I believe this is the first and only update of that nature. For the nay sayers, check out the dirt and grime on the running boards and the back bumper.

My first reaction was WOW!! Again, the product exceeded my expectations. I've worked with OC and CQuartz in the past and will admit that in general coatings do much better than traditional products at detracting dirt and grime (and would be happy with any of them on my truck) but when factoring the ease of use and results that Pinnacle provided.... well, I am sold (for now... all depends on the updates!)

Alright, the proof is in the pictures. Enjoy the update and the pictures of the "flake pop" (pictures taken with my iPhone before heading to work this morning).

P.S. The rain DID NOT affect the coating and no funky water spotting was seen (or other defects associated with exposure).

FLAKES!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice write-up.

I have the Surface Coating to try out once it warms up. Based on this I can't wait.

Post Thanks / Like

I will attest to what Claude is posting, I applied the Surface coating to multiple surfaces 2 weeks ago.

Sheeting is off the charts, the vertical door and quarter panels of my Challenger were almost dry when I came out after a rain storm Last Friday. Very few water drops or spots to speak of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice post.

I have been happier with the glass coating than I have been with the paint coating. I followed the instructions to the letter, and after two months or so, the glass outing appears to be holding up, but the paint coating is not.

Would you be willing to post some videos an d picture reviews of your application in a few months for followup?

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time and effort in sharing Claude. I experienced first hand this weekend some rain and I must say PBL glass, paint, and wheel exceeding my expectations. It's been on my ride since Thanksgiving. Incredible beading and sheeting...love the beast by the way!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

Very nice write-up.

I have the Surface Coating to try out once it warms up. Based on this I can't wait.

You won't be disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post
    I will attest to what Claude is posting, I applied the Surface coating to multiple surfaces 2 weeks ago.

Sheeting is off the charts, the vertical door and quarter panels of my Challenger were almost dry when I came out after a rain storm Last Friday. Very few water drops or spots to speak of.
    I actually took a video of the door to show the shedding effect and it was BORING. The little mist would accumulate and when the bead was big enough (very small) it would just launch and create an avalanche effect on the rest of the moisture in its way.

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    Nice post.

I have been happier with the glass coating than I have been with the paint coating. I followed the instructions to the letter, and after two months or so, the glass outing appears to be holding up, but the paint coating is not.

Would you be willing to post some videos an d picture reviews of your application in a few months for followup?
    Absolutely..... I have plans of doing a review about topping the coating, so will do a bead/shedding test before and after which in essence could be used to compare. Actually I should make a proper sheeting video (with the water hose) now to compare later. Biggest problem I will encounter is that the majority of he hood has a vinyl decal.

Quote Originally Posted by 28ONE View Post
    Thanks for taking the time and effort in sharing Claude. I experienced first hand this weekend some rain and I must say PBL glass, paint, and wheel exceeding my expectations. It's been on my ride since Thanksgiving. Incredible beading and sheeting...love the beast by the way!
    Thanks! I am glad to not be the only one expressing that the product exceeded my expectations! The Beast is a hoot! She puts a smile on my face daily

Post Thanks / Like

awesome writeup, pictures, and videos claude!

lol @ the boring side sheeting comment, guess water wants nothing to do with that coating!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast