autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ceramic pro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ceramic pro

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Why even bother discussing the warranty.... It's mostly a marketing gimmick to me. Claim lifetime warranty and the customer assumes it's a bullet proof product and makes it easier to invest some serious money in. The reality is that most customers would never make a claim, and if they do, the details of the contract could write off almost every situation as owner neglect rather than poor product performance which gets the company off the hook.
    I do think it is interesting to see how different companies structure their warranty terms and conditions.

I think you mentioned Finest was something like, 'the coating won't peel, blister, flake'. I don't think I've seen those things happen with a paint coating and question whether it's even possible. It's certainly a clear and valid warranty, but how much value does it carry? I warranty that none of the pigs I sell you will fly away. [I think you know that's not a cheap shot against Finest]

CP reads more like a warranty for the paint with many exclusions/gotchas (similar to dealer options). Most interesting with this type of warranty is that the max payout may very well be less than what you paid for the product/install/warranty. [not a cheap shot against CP, just dealers]

Others I have seen simply state the coating will still be there in 5-, 7-, 10-years, but do not make any guarantee of protection And as we've discussed, how do you prove it's there or not?.

I agree that they can be a bit of a ploy on consumer ignorance. Consumer sees a warranty for something applied to their paint and assumes that it's a warranty for their paint, rather than a warranty for the coating. To me, these warranties give a window into the company's true intentions & philosophy on general business practices in the coating market. So I would say to you, I think discussion of warranties is a good thing.

I would also submit that branding your product Mohs and claiming 9H hardness is a bit of a ploy too. [Now that was a bit of a cheap shot] Sorry Mike L, I know you can't control the marketing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7.3powerstroke View Post
    Chris, not to get off topic, but Opti Coat Pro "warranty" doesnt cover vehicles that are over ten years old? Why is that? This Ceramic Pro "lifetime warranty" will cover a vehicle no matter how old. Warranty in quotations because they hardly cover anything if at all.
    Opti-Coat® comes with an actual nationally backed warranty covering the product and our installers installation for 5 years on Opti-Coat® Pro and 7 years on Opti-Coat® Pro Plus. We cover costs or reapplication or environmental damage up to $5,000. Also, our product will show an installation error after only a few months so an extended time is not necessary. And, we require our installers to include a complimentary wash at 3-4 weeks to check for installation issues and discuss maintenance practices with the client.

There is no required inspection (no annual cost to the customer) to maintain the warranty. We do recommend the client that they bring in the car as needed for a detailer deep cleaning to remove any built up grime without damaging the coating, but don't require it under the guise of an "inspection" I could go on, but no need. Most know the companies that set the pace vs. the ones that don't and those who fall prey to sales tactics will learn soon enough when the service isn't there.

And it's my understanding that CP installers add more coating if necessary at the required annual inspection. If that's good info (probably not publicly known), then the CP warranty is just smoke and mirrors like the other marketing tactics we have all seen.

My apologies to the forum if this sounds a little confrontational. I'm just putting info out there, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Great info Chris. But why doesnt Optimum warranty vehicles older than 10 years old?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7.3powerstroke View Post
    Great info Chris. But why doesnt Optimum warranty vehicles older than 10 years old?
    It will work on properly prepped paint systems regardless of the age. But to back it with an insurance company, the cost of coverage outweighs the expense for such a small percentage of applications that would raise the price for everyone. We simply recommend using Gloss-Coat® for older vehicles. Of course you can still coat an older car with Opti-Coat® Pro or Opti-Coat® Pro Plus, but the installer can register the card for proof of authenticity,but...it won't be eligible for coverage. However, I'm certain that if the customer has a issue within a few months of application (any application errors will show up in 3-6 months if not sooner) that OPT will work with the installer to fix it. We have never been a company to leave anyone out in the cold.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, two years ago I had many doubts about the ceramic coatings.
    I ask an advance apology, if not misunderstand what I write, but only speak Spanish, and I use google translate, so I can communicate with you.
    and in the same way I use it to read everything they write in the forum.
    I am very surprised about the comments made regarding Ceramic Pro, and come to think it was an unbeatable product, but after reading your comments I start to doubt much about them.
    I'm from Mexico and I have a few months communicating with Ceramic Pro and you are quite right about the questions that are asked to clarify .. have never given me anything concrete.
    Until this day they acquired the Pro Ceramic Textile, and was told 300ml was enough to apply it in a conventional car and I left over product.
    I committed to a customer to apply to a Land Rover Defender, and my sorpreza was that I had to use 2 products 300ml .. ami customer and gave him a quote only by one.
    My intention was to recover the costs and then place an order for Ceramic Pro 9H, but after finding out all Irregularities mentioning here, I begin to agree with you and I have the feeling that my investment is already at risk.

I have detailed unprofessionally time, but I try hard to keep learning and to reach the level of you.
    I would appreciate if you give me advice on textiles and leather shields but they are very liquid repellent. many customers ask me here, and I want to offer the best results. and since it dominates this area, I want to move to ceramic tiles.
    Thanks and regards to all !!!
    Atte. CHARMYLORI

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

forget to mention that here in Mexico, I was offered another brand of ceramic, his name is
    Sapphire v1 By FlightShield, but look for information about it in some forums, and many to the unknown.
    the person who distributed the brand, positioned it on a large scale and it appears that is selling much
    but something very strange happened, suddenly the person who released this brand and get to the place in many parts of Mexico, from one day to another took his distribution and only allowed him to be applicator ...

you have heard of this brand of ceramic?

Post Thanks / Like

Cquartz Finest All the way

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Has this company ever provided any 3rd party testing results? Any UV testing? Actual gloss testing? Thickness testing? Outdoor testing to correlate any accelerated testing if they had any of that ever done?

I work in a weathering lab and you would be surprised how many times new companies don't understand how to actually test their product. Maybe I missed it somewhere but ive been trying to find actual lab results and can't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kguerrero View Post
    Has this company ever provided any 3rd party testing results? Any UV testing? Actual gloss testing? Thickness testing? Outdoor testing to correlate any accelerated testing if they had any of that ever done?

I work in a weathering lab and you would be surprised how many times new companies don't understand how to actually test their product. Maybe I missed it somewhere but ive been trying to find actual lab results and can't.
    They claim their coatings are tested by SGS. If you go on their website they give a brief description if you click on the SGS page.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Long time lurker, first post!

After reading some of the ridiculous statements from some of these coating companies I thought I would chime in as a material scientist.

I read through the testing done by Ceramic Pro at SGS and it alarming that SGS would put their reputation at stake with this as it is enabling false marketing.

The pencil method is used to test coating hardness by running a pencil over the surface under certain conditions, the softest pencil to make a mark is the allocated pencil hardness, this is completely unrelated to the MOHS scale which is mineral hardness. This system is used to test paint hardness (which is usually greater than 30 microns), you would never test anything lower than that because the substrate (the thing the coating is applied to) becomes an overriding factor.

These ceramic coatings are usually less than a micron, and almost never greater than 5 microns. I think I even read somewhere that Ceramic Pro is at 0.9 microns. There is absolutely no way a pencil test is able to give a valid reading.

If you look at the SGS testing they have coated a steel plate, and performed the test on that. This steel plate is a huge overriding factor here. In effect, they are testing the hardness of the steel plate, and not the coating.

Similarly if someone was silly enough to send an ordinary car wax into SGS and have the same test performed, it will result in the same 9h reading because of the overriding factor that the steel plate plays. A 9H wax, wouldn't that be cool?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast