autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Meguiars Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer

Hey all. Recently had the chance to use Meguiars Ultimate Black on a Porsche I did. The trim was pretty beat, so after a good cleaning I wanted to apply something that would bring life back to the trim and keep it that way. Normally I would turn to Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant or Ultima Tire and Trim, but unfortunately like an idiot, I forgot to include those in my detail bag before I left for the job, so on the way I picked up the Ultimate Black OTC. I’ve never used it before so I was curious to say the least. I know people like it, but I’ve never used it so I was open to try it!

Manufacturer claims:

Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer brings new life to all exterior plastic, vinyl, and rubber trim such as bumpers, moldings, door handles, rear-view mirror housings and windshield cowlings. Utilizing break-through UV clear coat technology, Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer significantly outlasts conventional protectants and trim care products. This durable formula dries almost instantly, is non-greasy and will not streak when treated surfaces get wet. With Meguiar’s Ultimate Black quickly make trim and plastic look-like new, create a rich darkness and shine, and provide outstanding, durable UV protection.
    Products used:

Meguiars Ultimate Black
    CG NonSENSE APC to clean the trim
    Poly Foam Applicator for application

So this Porsche had two big dark box like trim pieces near the license plate. For my test area, I chose the one on the right side. For prepping the trim, first it got rinsless washed, then cleaned up further with CG NonSENSE apc. For application I chose a poly foam wax applicator. For this small area, I’d say I used about a dime sized drop of product, and that product could have easily covered the entire piece, it really spreads nice. The product itself has a nice creamy color and consistency, and you can tell a little goes a long way.

Here’s the 50/50 shot of the semi treated piece almsot dried:

As you can see, it does a fairly good job of darkening the trim.
    Now since this was my first time using this product, I must say I was impressed. Especially for the price, and its ability to be had OTC it worked well in terms of application and looks. What I am curious about is durability to be honest. But that will remain to be seen, I will be following up on this car so I am eager to see how it goes!

Pros:

Easy to use. Wipe off any excess with ease if theres a high spot.

A little goes a long way. After I treated all the trim, I probably used around half an oz of product.

Can be found almost anywhere, unlike my favs Ultima and Wolfgang, I was able to get this in a pinch, like last minute on my way crunch time stuff. That’s not knocking Ultima or WG, they are hands down the best IMO, and they last and last and last! You just have to order online, too bad there no store front for me!

Does a good job of restoring life to the piece of trim

Cons:

Durability, only because well I have no experience with this product. But I hope it can last as long as WETS or UTTG, but do I think it will? No…..we’ll see though.

Doesn’t really have a pleasant smell.

The bottle is horrible, yet another Meguiars product I will take out of the bottle and put in my own. I love their products, but hate their packaging.

Thanks!
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Meguiars Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer

Nice write up. Keep us updated on the durability. I have ultimate protectant which is the same product but in a spray bottle. I have not had a chance to use it on the exterior trim yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not seen a black trim restorer product that was not able to darken trim. The real test is durability. It's good to hear that it's non-greasy which leads me to believe its a polymer type product.

Absolute worst I've tried was Mothers Back to Black. The product bleed a oily rainbow residue on the dark blue trucks paint after it rained.

*Edit*

I just read the first four Amazon reviews on the product and the only one to mention durability said this...

This product leaves a nice black finish on plastics, but after a few weeks of sun + rain, the plastic is almost back to how it was
    The product is cheap for dealership and production type detailing but I probably wouldn't use it on my car especially after trying Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Nice write up. Keep us updated on the durability. I have ultimate protectant which is the same product but in a spray bottle. I have not had a chance to use it on the exterior trim yet.
    Are you sure it is the same product?

Wonder how the durability will be. Keep us updated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post

According to this they are.
    Meguiars Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer vs. Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant

Taken from the thread link posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stoops;
    OK, we're going to share a bit of "insider information" with you here.

A couple of years ago we introduced Ultimate Protectant as a polymer fortified, water based dressing suitable for both interior and exterior use. It's a great product that immediately met with glowing reviews. But the big problem was the packaging - we put it in a squeeze bottle, and it turns out the consumer marketplace regards products in squeeze bottles as being for exterior use. That may sound a bit crazy to a detailing enthusiasts who spend every waking moment hanging out on detailing forums, but it makes a difference to the masses. To them, a squeeze bottle means exterior use, and a spray bottle means interior use.

So we made some changes. First, we renamed Ultimate Protectant as Ultimate Black, keeing it in the squeeze bottle. The term "black" seemed to resonate better with the masses for maintaining exterior trim, which is almost always black in color. We then slightly altered the formulation for better delivery via a spray bottle and used the name Ultimate Protectant in that variation. Again, it's the terminology that resonates with the masses, in this case "protectant" being a product for protecting the interior plastic and vinyl. So basically it was us adapting to the marketplace.

This also is an example of a key difference between "marketing" and "marketing hype". "Marketing" deals with giving the masses what they want, in the way they want it, that will do what they want it to do. "Marketing hype" deals with just telling people what you think they want to hear, making grandiose claims about the effectiveness of a product, or flat out misrepresenting what a product can do. There's a fairly broad line between generating excitement for a product, and making unsubstantiated claims for it. Some people try to narrow that line...... and then blur it.

So, to address your direct question - "Which one is recommended more for trim?" Ultimate Black is marketed toward use on trim, but both will work. We know that as a detailing enthusiast you'll understand that. It's the masses, the folks who will never even look at a detailing forum, who will only buy the product that states it is intended for the purpose that customer is looking for, who will choose one over the other, or ignore one or the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification Guz.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, it only lasts for a few weeks. It looks good after application though! Thanks for the review and post back once/if you get to check out the durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jpatchley View Post
    In my experience, it only lasts for a few weeks. It looks good after application though! Thanks for the review and post back once/if you get to check out the durability.
    I'll be seeing this car around Christmas. I'll update then with pics how it's holding up. I got the bottle for 4.99 so I really can't complain if durability is short. If it is, I'll go back to WETS when I see the car again.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the product and honestly it will wear off like almost any other OTC trim restoring product, it looks good when you put it on but then slowly wears off.