autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Detailer’s System 3000 Deluxe Pad Washer

If you’re in the market for a pad washer system the Detailer’s System 3000 Deluxe Pad Washer by Lake Country is one of the best. It’s simple to setup and start using right out of the box. When setting up the pad washer I noticed everything felt very durable and was built to last. I was really impressed with how solid and sturdy the thin lids felt. I would have expected them to be more flimsy for being such large pieces of thin plastic.

A great feature of this pad washer is that it offers three different operating modes for different cleaning preferences.

Filtered: the cleaning solution is contiguously recycled through a replaceable filter.

Captured: the catch basin retains any dirty solution.

Standard: remove the catch basin and use full pail until solution needs to be replaced.

In addition to three different operating modes it cleans foam, wool and microfiber pads. I really think this pad washer will set a new standard for pad washers after a few tweaks, which I’ll talk about a little later.

Usage:

One of the first things I noticed when using the pad washer was how powerful the pump was. I was using a Lake Country Hybrid Polishing Pad and around the outside of the pad water was shooting up through the foam where there wasn’t Velcro. It only takes a couple pumps to fully saturate a 6.5 in pad. The pad wash plate is designed great to match and clean all different types of pads.

I’ve washed several different types of pads with this pad washer along with cleaning spent compounds, polishes, waxes and sealants and they all cleaned up effortlessly. Due to having such a powerful pump it allows water to be injected deep into the pad (and sometimes through it) to remove all spent product for a perfectly clean pad. This allows pads to be used longer while detailing and does not hinder the performance like having spent residue and removed paint on your pads. Also, the wash plate was gentle enough not to damage finishing pads, but still tough enough to remove compound from dense, stiff cutting pads.

I have only used this product on the captured setting and I can already tell it’s going to be my favorite. It allows dirty solution to be stored away from your clean solution. It’s very easy to clean the catch basin; you just simply rinse it out with a hose and wipe it down with a microfiber towel after use. Having the dirty and clean solutions separate allows you to minimize solution waste and cross contamination, you only use as much solution as you need to clean your pad and then it’s discarded. There is no cross contamination and no guessing when your solution needs to be replaced. To give you an idea just how long 1.6 gallons of solution lasts, I was able to completely polish an SUV and Truck back to back without having to add more clean solution or empty out the catch basin and I still had plenty of clean solution left in the bottom of the bucket.

The catch basin is blue, the bottom is the clean solution area, and the white tube is the pump inlet.

I plan to test out Detailer’s Polishing Pad Rejuvenator next as it claims it can be used for up to a week, cleaning pads everyday without being replaced. You would use 1.5 scoops of DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator with the System 3000 setup in standard mode. So theoretically one container of DP Rejuvenator should last about 10 weeks of cleaning pads everyday. I’m going to guess that the solution would last even longer if used in the filter mode, so that might be another good option.

To dry your pad after washing you simply let it free spin inside the unit. While this sounds great in theory there is one problem, cleaning solution shoots out of the gap between the top of the bucket and the bottom of the lids; it makes a mess.

The lid doesn’t sit tight against the rim of the bucket. This is the maximum amount of play in the lid when it’s in the locked position. It would help if there was a vertical shield around the edge of the lid to keep the solution from shooting out or some type of gasket.

Another downside to this pad washer in general is it does not really work with the Flex 3401, which is frustrating because it’s my go to DA polisher. It does work great with smaller spindle or gear housings. I do not own a Rupes DA but from pictures of the machine it looks like it wouldn’t work well either. The opening after closing the lids does not allow enough space for the gear housing to fit, it’s not even really close. I tried to use the unit with the lids semi-closed but solution goes everywhere and if you are not extremely careful the sharp edges on the inside of the lid destroys your pads.

Fits great before putting a pad on the backing plate.

Once the pad is on, it no longer closes.

Closer look. This is all the further the lid will close.

The damage to the inside of the lid from trying to use the flex. That edge is what will eat and tear up the sides of your pads.

The pad washer does work great with my Porter Cable DA and likewise with the Griots Garage DA. Autogeek’s description of the product claims: “The System 3000 Deluxe Pad Washer works with all polishers – random orbital, DA and rotary” and while in some sense it will work with those three types of polishers, it does not work specifically with all polishers. A simple fix to this problem is to create another lid that works with the larger polisher housings, but without the larger lid it’s useless with my favorite and most used machine.

Porter Cable DA fits and works like a charm.

Another view.

Final Thoughts:

The Detailer’s System 3000 Deluxe Pad Washer by Lake Country is an almost perfect pad washer. It’s lightweight and easy to move while working around a vehicle and phenomenally cleans all types of pads and removes all types of products. The deal breaker for me is not being able to use it with the Flex 3401. If another lid option were offered in the future it would be the perfect pad washer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Detailer’s System 3000 Deluxe Pad Washer

You put together a really thorough review! Do you have any pics of the pad washer taken apart? The top piece that you wash the pad on looks easier to clean than the grit guard in the GG pad washer. I have the same trouble cleaning pads on the Flex on the Grit guard pad washer as well. I put my pads on my GG6 to clean them. Looks like a nice set up, if I didn't buy a GG pad washer a few months ago I would think about picking this up.

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the well detailed review on the pros and cons.

Click on image to view work

Post Thanks / Like

Beautifully well done review! Thanks for putting it together for all to see.

Would it be possible to trim out the inner circle of lid to allow use of the 3401?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Great ideas for improvements.

I sent your review on to Lake Country, just in case they have not seen it already.

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 04Golf View Post
    You put together a really thorough review! Do you have any pics of the pad washer taken apart? The top piece that you wash the pad on looks easier to clean than the grit guard in the GG pad washer. I have the same trouble cleaning pads on the Flex on the Grit guard pad washer as well. I put my pads on my GG6 to clean them. Looks like a nice set up, if I didn't buy a GG pad washer a few months ago I would think about picking this up.
    I'll take some for you later today.

There are only a couple parts to do.

In the second pictures, the darkest blue section holds the pump and wash plate (it comes assembled). The next lighter blue piece of the catch basin, which is just a smaller bucket with holes you can plug depending on the cleaning setting you choose, and the last item is just a bucket that everything sits into.

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post

Would it be possible to trim out the inner circle of lid to allow use of the 3401?
    I don't think you can trim it, but you could use a dremel tool to sand it out, but I wouldn't want to alter the product and mess up a part I couldn't easily order.
    Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Great ideas for improvements.

I sent your review on to Lake Country, just in case they have not seen it already.
    Thanks! Hopefully they design another lid.

Regular Member David at LC Pads's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a breakdown view of the System 3000's internals

Thanks for the review Scott!

Post Thanks / Like

Were there ever any changes made to this device or usage suggestions to alleviate the difficulties the reviewer pointed out? (cleaning solution flung out sides, Flex not fitting into pad cleaner)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post

Mike said everything I would. Seems a slight cut would open it more.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    Seems a slight cut would open it more.
    Yes perhaps. Seems odd that a very popular polisher that Lake Country makes a backing plate system and specific pads for doesn't fit into a pad washer made by Lake Country.

And opening the hole doesn't do anything for the splashing out the sides issue. This thing costs $160 and I'd rather not have to modify the lid to fit a Flex nor worry about soaking my shoes with cleaning solution every time I use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast