autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up DP Total Headlight Restoration Kit Review

Well, look what came in today!

So here's the 'skinny'. I just remembered I lent out my good DeWalt drill to a buddy. BUT, I wanted to try this out. I have some crappy $30 harbor freight drill. Don't remember where I got it or why, but it's there. So this is a weak drill with no power that is barely good enough to be used as an electric screwdriver. But here were my results with that drill;

Before:

After:

And here's an even better 'before and after', as I did half of one lens (didn't tape it or anything, but you still get the idea).

Took me two minutes. Did it in a parking lot. Easy as can be with pretty good results. If I did the old wet sand method it probably would've gotten a few more scratches out and stuff like that; but the fact is they are clean and clear in no time at all. Very impressed!

When I get my dewalt back I'll hit them again to see if it gets some of the scratches out. May also try and find some headlights to hit this with to see if there's a difference when you have a little more power. Let me tell you, this drill had NO power. I had to very lightly press the pad just to keep the speed up. Regular 'polishing power' would stop this drill on the lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DP Total Headlight Restoration Kit Review

Thanks for the review. Headlights look good and all in just a couple of minutes.
    Smoke Metallic '06 Altima

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Great photos - thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update.

I went ahead and tried it on my motorcycle windshield. Great results. Achieved about a 90% correction with one pass. The windshield had TONS of fine scratches all over that were the result of neglect, being 7 years old, and me cleaning the windshield improperly over the years. (I'm new!). All in one quick pass on each side of the windshield, it was left clear and with a significant reduction in scratches. Remaining scratches are long, deeper scratches that will probably have to be wet sanded out.

No pics, as I couldn't really get my camera to focus on scratches (google sometime how well a severely scratched or cracked lens still works; cameras have a knack for not showing scratches in clear objects). So you'll just have to take my word for it. But looks great! A friend of mine had a yellow/fading windshield on his and paid $550 for a new one. Imagine how much he'd save if I had known about this sooner? If this would get the scratches out, it would have taken out his oxidation and such, too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
    Quick update.

I went ahead and tried it on my motorcycle windshield. Great results. Achieved about a 90% correction with one pass. The windshield had TONS of fine scratches all over that were the result of neglect, being 7 years old, and me cleaning the windshield improperly over the years. (I'm new!). All in one quick pass on each side of the windshield, it was left clear and with a significant reduction in scratches. Remaining scratches are long, deeper scratches that will probably have to be wet sanded out.

No pics, as I couldn't really get my camera to focus on scratches (google sometime how well a severely scratched or cracked lens still works; cameras have a knack for not showing scratches in clear objects). So you'll just have to take my word for it. But looks great! A friend of mine had a yellow/fading windshield on his and paid $550 for a new one. Imagine how much he'd save if I had known about this sooner? If this would get the scratches out, it would have taken out his oxidation and such, too!
    I've been thinking about trying a headlight restore kit on my Buell windscreen. Glad to hear some good results. Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

One quick update on the windshield, I have a few holograms in it now that are visible in direct sunlight. No doubt the result of my ultra-noobiness using what is essentially a rotary (wool pad on a drill). I may dry my GG with a 3" backing pad but since it's a a curved, flexible piece of plexiglass I'm not sure if that'll work. Anyone know of a way to deal with those holograms on something like that?
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero