autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

New wash routine test

All,

Per my other thread, I am seeking to cut my weekly wash effort down significantly so that I can have more beer & football time.

Rather than my usual 2BM method, I am attempting to transition to a simple foam cannon soak and rinse, then blow dry.

In order for the wash to work well, and the drying to go quickly, I need a quality slippery base...
    So that is what I did today:

1. Foam cannon with Honeydew...first time using the cannon. It is INSANE. So awesome.
    I soaked it, rinse sit, soaked it again and used my mitt to make sure it wash clean, soaked it again and rinsed. Overkill but when I'm going to polish and wax I like to make sure it is clean.

2. Used my Griot's 6" DA to apply 3M polish. This is significant in that I've never polished a car before... (Keep your shirt on). It was a piece of cake...this was basically my wax removal step and the car cleaned up nice. Very slick surface after polishing even without anything over it. I'm probably hooked on polishing now...

3. Applied 3M Performance finish by hand with a terry applicator as the "destructions" indicated. You do about 1/2 panel at a time and wipe on, wipe off while it is still wet. If you let it haze...you're going to have some big arms.
    Finish is sliiiiiick right now.

4. I'm letting my PF cure right now.

5. Applied tire dressing (Meg's Endurance low gloss), cleaned the windows and did all my usual interior stuff.

So. My only question to you guys before stepping into the new routine (I will report back in a few weeks) is... can I (should I) put something over the top of the Performance Finish next weekend? I have some Meguiar's ultimate liquid wax laying around...or I could do another coat I PF... Or i could pick up some 845 since I've been wanting to try it... I guess my question is "will any of these damage or remove or shorten the life of the PF?" Followed by "will they even stick to the car if I have PF on it?"

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New wash routine test

Shouldn't have any problem putting on a topper. I use BF Wet Diamond for my spring details and I top that with BF Crystal Seal and sometimes BF Midnight Sun paste wax. If anything, it will increase the endurance of the PF underneath I would think.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New wash routine test

I don't see any significant savings in either the effort put forth, or the time spent, in the "new wash routine".

Staying in the 3M family:
    -Either put on another coat of 3M PF; or a coat of 3M Perfect-It Show Car Wax (paste or liquid).
    -Get some 3M Quick Wax for the freshen-upper.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    I don't see any significant savings in either the effort put forth, or the time spent, in the "new wash routine".

Staying in the 3M family:
    -Either put on another coat of 3M PF; or a coat of 3M Perfect-It Show Car Wax (paste or liquid).
    -Get some 3M Quick Wax for the freshen-upper.

Bob
    Well it remains to be seen if it actually saves time and effort...but just blasting a car with foam, rinsing, and drying seems a lot shorter and less effort than 2BM and all of the constant rinsing to avoid spots, and then drying.
    And certainly easier on the knees and back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free