autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Head-to-Head cage match - Klasse SG vs. Collinite 845

Quote Originally Posted by Hazcat View Post
    I have the Klasse twins with KAIO and an additional 2 coats of SG on my wife's car and since they are acrylic in nature I use Chemical Guys Extreme Synthetic Acrylic Detailer spray as a touch up after each wash. So far it's holding up nicely. You just don't see acrylics only used very often so I thought I'd give it a go. I could see putting 845 over it and using DG Aquawax too. I can't say enough about AW. I love that product.

On my driver i have Optimum Poli-Seal which I follow up with Optimum Spray Wax for touch ups. It's been 2 years since I put the Poli-Seal on with the Spray Wax it's like I did it yesterday.

My sister-in-law has DP Coating, brother-in-law has Pinnacle diamond coating. My father has WGDGS 3.0 They're all holding up great. I've come to the conclusion that you just need to put something on them and touch them up with something compatible which is usually UltimaWWplus because it's cheap and works great. I'd like to try Garry Deans Ultimate Detailer but need to use up gallons upon gallons of product first. I got carried away during the sales. Enjoyed this thread tremendously. Nice job Nate!
    Thanks! I've had fun with this thread as well. I still have about 8~10 weeks before I'll decide the bring the test to a close and start the spring offensive on my personal fleet. There is still plenty of time for bad weather to continue testing these products.

I like both products in this from not only their performance, but their value. My $20 something bottle of Klasse has lasted roughly nine years. Based on my burn rate of Collinite that $16 bottle may last almost as long.

More to follow!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah if your car is real dirty/salty the touch-free will only "skim the surface" and if you've got a hatchback or SUV/minivan the rear never comes clean but as long as you know this going in its all good but a lot of here use that and then go and do a rinseless to get completely clean.

I'm really starting to wonder how the DPPC would hold up against multiple touch-free washes because right now the paint coating is absolutely killing it this winter, car cleans up sooooo easy and looks flawless when I do the rinseless wash!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

In case anyone was wondering how this test went, here is the final installment.

Last weekend it actually warmed up enough to do a hand wash, so I took the opportunity to get the cars truly clean and see how the LSP's were holding up.

Going into this wash I didn't really know what to expect, we'd had snow and ice, but no real rain to get an indication of how the beading was doing. Once the cars were clean, I hit them with a light shower from the hose, just to see what would happen. The pictures were taken in late day sun with a cell phone. I was in a hurry to beat the sunset and didn't have time to break out the SLR. I apologize in advance for the picture quality. Now on to the results.

First the Klasse SG car:

The beading was almost not existent. This was a shot of the roof and you can see the beads are not holding together very well. The hood had even less bead action and there was none on the vertical surfaces at all by this point.

Now the Collinite 845 car:

The wind was blowing pretty hard so the beads were moving around when the picture was taken, but you can see there is still beading going on. Its not the perfect beads you normally get, but after 5.5 months you can't expect it to be perfect.

After all of this, I'd still say both products held up very well. The Klasse SG lasted 6 months and the 845 around 5.5. The Klasse was on a car that sits out 24/7, but the 845 car was subjected to more touchless washes and the harsh soaps they use. Another important note, is both of these cars only recieved ONE COAT of product. Just to provide a comparison, here is my other car which recieved two coats of the SG.

Lessons learned:
    - Double coat when going into winter. This winter proved to be far longer and worse than any in this area for 40 years. It's still not warm enough to do a full detail yet. To ensure either LSP will go the distance, double them up

Final observations:
    - Both products are equally durable, and if done in two coats, will easily get you six months of protection

- Appearance. I like the look of the 845 on darker colors better than the SG. The SG is too glassy and reflective in that situation, but it looks great on lighter colors with high flake content.

- Ease of use. 845 is the winner. Even having now learned a good technique from KlasseAct here, I think I'd still vote for the 845. Once shaken well it simply a couple of drops on the DA pad and go for it. SG is better applied by hand, and therefore slower. I also find the SG to be a little more temperature sensative to apply/buff out in hot or cooler conditions

- "Slickness". The 845 is almost slippery on a freshly polished surface where the SG is slick.

- Beading. No real winner. SG sheets more whereas the 845 has small tight beads.

Conclusion:

I'm now a Collinite convert, and that product is now the starting player when doing my cars. Klasse has been a great product. I've used the twins for 9 years and I'll never speak poorly of the product, but when my supply runs out I'll probably not replace it with more.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome test! I like 845 as well. Hoping to try out 476 and 915 soon

Post Thanks / Like

Nice update. I have 2 coats of KSG on my daily that sits outside 24/7 and it's on the 7th month. Of course I'm in california so no snow and hardly any rain. But it still beads good and it sheets really good. I prefer sheeting than beading. But that's just me.

Post Thanks / Like

845 is the real deal, it's held up great this winter here in New Jersey.
    getting ready for my spring clean, I will apply 2 coats then as needed until winter shows it's ugly face again. Thanks for the review..........P.S anyone thinking about Collinite 845 try it, don't waste your money on those over priced products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent work Desertnate.

I have been using 476 as my pre-winter wax and it has held up pretty well. Looking forward to my spring detailing of the family cars, which sb commencing in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite by submission. Nice review. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

This weekend I put 2 coats of KSG on my 2011 Silver Silverado. I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed. It is unbelievably shiny. When I get my GG 6 back from Griots this week, I plan on topping it with a coat Collinite this weekend - just to try and get a little more pop out of the pant. I haven't used Collinite yet, but I have to say that the KSG is very easy to apply. I did my hood and two front quarter panels in probably 10-15 minutes. I bought the Pinnacle Polishing Pal (makes hand polishing so much more comfortable and quick) and used KlasseAct's method using a spray bottle of KSG and a damp pad.
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

If you like 845, you'll love Blackfire Wet Diamond. Apply a coat of Collinite 845, dry, buff, then apply BFWD. For those that don't want to use a coating like OptiCoat, 845/BFWD is the best protection available IMO.
    My Versa probably looks better than yours

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast