autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Head-to-Head cage match - Klasse SG vs. Collinite 845

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Many here have said 845 will last just as long and it's their winter LSP of choice. I'm going to find out!

If the 845 starts to fade before spring, I'll just hit the car with UQW or Duragloss to carry through until it's warm enough to start over.
    dang! if so Ill stick to 845 lol

Post Thanks / Like

Many here have said 845 will last just as long and it's their winter LSP of choice. I'm going to find out!

If the 845 starts to fade before spring, I'll just hit the car with UQW or Duragloss to carry through until it's warm enough to start over.

Yeah but if you use Klasse SG and hit it with the Sonus Glanz it really extends the life of the SG. I tested that and 845 on my wifes car and the Klasse won hands down over 845. That's down here in Florida during our summer and daily torrential tropical rains that beat the heck out of waxes and sealants.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

My cars have never looked better after I found Autogeek a few years ago. Only trying two LSPs? You will find trying different products a slippery slope. So many products and too few cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    This will be interesting for me to see how this comes out. Those are the first 2 lsp's I ordered after reading all the great reviews. I have not had a chance to do a fair comparison. The ksg made our black 62 Chrysler look awesome, but I've been using 845 on my wrapped car since it sits out all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
    My cars have never looked better after I found Autogeek a few years ago. Only trying two LSPs? You will find trying different products a slippery slope. So many products and too few cars!
    Ha! Too true. I only have three cars, and we're headed into winter, so all detailing will come to a halt for a while.

Honestly, I don't have time to be constantly trying out new stuff. I need an LSP that I can lay on twice a year and move on.

I do have a sample of Poorboys World EX-P that will get put to work on the Mazda when Spring rolls around. I never found a good review on EX-P's durability, so I'll wait until the weather will facilitate a mid-season replacement if it doesn't hold up as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Well both product have excellent longevity and did last the whole winter here in a Canadian atmosphere with a fare amount of snow and calcium on the streets. I normally put down two cotes of #845 or Klass and that takes me from October to late April early May.

Post Thanks / Like

Never used Klasse, but since I started using Collinite 845 I have been very pleased. I have tried a few different products "chasing the shine" my last was CG butter wet wax which sucks, I will stick with the 845 for price and ease of use etc.

Post Thanks / Like

First a little background.

It all started when several elements all came together to form a perfect storm.
    - I became a member here and did a LOT of reading
    - My new membership came with a nice discount code to the AG store
    - I started to run low on Klasse SG

I've used Klasse SG and AIO for almost nine years. It's the only product I've used on a regular basis, and amazingly, I'm still using the same bottles I purchased all those years ago. However, it's time for something new. I've been happy with Klasse's performance, but it can be a little temperature sensitive when applying and if you apply it even slightly too heavy it becomes hard to remove. I've come to realize there are many good, reasonably priced products out there and I need to if there is something I might like better.

So...after reading reviews I felt the 845 would be a good alternative to the SG and I bought a bottle. Since winter is coming soon, I decided to put the two products in a side-by-side test on my personal fleet in a battle for shelf space in my garage.

The test subjects:

1. 1999 Pearl Blue Subaru Outback. Slightly beat paint with some scratches and clear coat failure. It's my daughter's daily driver across town to school every day. It stay's outdoor 24/7. This car was treated with Klasse AIO and one coat of Collinite 845. Here are the results:

2. 2010 Graphite Grey Metallic Mazda 3. Paints in good shape, but will need a light correction in the spring. Pictures are hard to get due to the high metallic fleck content. It's my daily driver. The car sits outdoors during the day and garaged at night. This car was treated with Klasse AIO and one coat of Klasse SG. Here are the results:

My thoughts after application:

- The Collinite was much easier to apply since I could use my DA. I didn't feel the SG would lend itself well to a machine application so I did it by hand. Even if I used the same approach for both, I would have given the 845 the win. It's really easy to apply.

- The 845 was easier to remove. I let it sit for about 30~45 minutes and it wiped right off. The SG came off easy too, but it was getting a little hot in my garage (around 80F) and I noticed some streaks on my hood that required a little Spritz to knock out. The garage was even warmer the day I did the 845, yet I had no issues.

- In the appearance realm, I'm leaning towards the 845 here as well. The morning after I appled the 845 I was shocked by how good the car looked. It seemed to improve over 12 hours of sitting. The blue was darker, deeper, and warmer than I had ever seen it. The gloss is really good too. Klasse SG has always produced a great shine, but I have always felt it lacked depth. Now that all of the cars are dark colored, this matters more to me.

- Regarding the feel of the surface, Klasse was slick, but the 845 was slippery, if that makes any sense.

The final verdict will come down to durability. I'll see how these two hold up over the winter. I'm not going to top them with anything to keep things even between them. Only the normal wash routine from now until March. If I had to cast my vote now, I'd have to award the prime parking spot in my cabinet to the 845. Only time will tell.
    Just want to confirm that you put the 845 over the KAIO.
    Thanks! .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi65 View Post
    Just want to confirm that you put the 845 over the KAIO.
    Thanks! .

Yes, I put 845 over the top of the KAIO. I simply used the AIO as a paint cleaner to ensure the surface I was applying the 845 was clean and free from the wax I had previously applied to the car.

I don't think the pre-wax prep would make much difference, but please note that car is no longer part of my test. The timing belt tensioner failed at highway speed and the engine ate itself. I'm now running the test with the gray Mazda from the beginning and the black GTI treated with Poorboys World Black Hole Glaze followed up by the 845.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I just noticed it's been a month or so since I started this test, so I'll provide a short update. Weather and short daylight hours haven't allowed me an opportunity to do any pictures.

Mazda with KSG: The car still looks great and when washed with a hose two weeks ago the water was sheeting off like the sealant was fresh. The car still has a great shine on it.

VW with 845: Water beads like crazy and rain almost seems to bounce off the surface. An odd side effect of this is water in freezing temps. The rain/melted snow will form bead which then freeze in place. I've also seen the beads flow with the wind over the surface of the car as I drive which creates "ice comets" across the surface, mostly on the roof.

Right now the durability is still a tie. Both products are looking good and performing well. After this winter storm rolled through I've made an interesting observation: the sheeting action of the Klasse might actually keep the car cleaner as the moisture and road grime seem to slide off. 845 causes the beads to form and the moisture stays where it at and sometimes freezes in place.

As soon as the temps get above freezing again, I'll be off to the touchless car wash. Should be interesting.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast