autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Hybrid V7 by Chemical Guys

A week or so ago there was a thread on a detail forum about Chemical Guys. There was a lot of bashing going on about their customer service and their products. Well, I piled right on. A few days after that I was in my garage and I realized that I use a lot of products from CGs - more than I thought. Also, I found myself ordering a gallon if Honeydew Snow Foam and their new Vintage Leather Serum to try that same day. Go figure.

One of them I use is Hybrid V7. Hybrid V7 is a pure spray sealant (no carnauba) that comes in 2 sizes: 16oz ($ $16.99) & 128oz ($38.99). I believe the 16oz bottle is supposed to come with the standard clear plastic CG's "on/off" sprayer. But, I think they forgot mine so I'm actually using an old 303 Fabric Guard sprayer. It works fine. Both the 16oz and gallon bottles come with the new style CG's vinyl type labels. These are much better than the old paper ones that are easily damaged if they get wet. CG's states V7 is made in CA, USA.

CG claims V7 add a high gloss shine, can be used on almost all exterior surfaces (including glass and rubber), and that it has "transparent polymers (that) enhance metallic paintwork". I take that last statement to imply "flake pop". They also claim the product adds "long lasting" UV protection and can be used to clean light dust or dirt off a surface.

First off, I wanted to do a little testing to see how chemical resistant V7 was, as this may relate to how "long lasting" it is. For me, I find 70% IPA will not remove cured durable traditional sealants like Blackfire Wet Diamond or Menzerna Power Lock. Well, CG's states V7 is a sealant... How tough is it?

So, I prepared a clean black surface. Then, I applied two coats of V7 a half hour apart and let it cure for 12 hours. Next, I wanted to see what it would take to kill the beading. I found it was killed by two applications of 25% IPA rubbed "passionately" with a MF towel. This is pretty much what I expected for a traditional style spray sealant, and is by no means a negative comment on the product. Actually, to be honest, CGs does recommend applying V7 after every wash for "maximum protection". So, durability wise, it's basically what you would expect from a quick detailer style spray sealant - more of a booster/topper than a stand alone LSP.

So far, there is nothing I've said that would make anyone want to run out and buy this product. Well, I'm not done yet. What's using V7 like? Well, in a word, it's awesome. First, V7 is like a milky orange color and smells like orange cream popsicles. Its probably one of the most unique smelling spray sealants out there IMHO.

Second, V7 applies like a dream. There is no haze, no streaks, or no "re-buffing" required. Basically, you spray it on to the paint and spread it out. It almost instantaneously starts to "flash" or disappear and melt into the paint. I used it today in direct sun on paint AND glass and could not get it to streak - even if trying.

The best towel I find to apply this product with is a 16x24" waffle weave on clean paint. Only one towel will be required to do a whole car. The product applies just as easily no matter if you spray it on the paint or spray it on the towel first and apply it that way. With V7, you merely have to spread the product out and it disappears. You shouldn't even have to flip your towel to the "dry side" to buff any residue off, as there isn't any residue.

V7 leaves paint with a very slick anti-static feeling. Its hard to explain, but your bare hand just feels good moving across a panel coated with V7. It does leave a nice shine/gloss on the paint as well. V7 also performs flawlessly as a drying aid under even the sunniest or most humid conditions.

I've already mentioned V7 likely isn't the most durable spray sealant. I've also noticed it isn't the best beading spray sealant. Some "spray polymer" type products bead like crazy (thinking Sonax Brilliant Shine QD) no matter what you spray them on, at least for a little while. I've noticed if you top a fresh coat of a tight beading wax like Dodo's Purple Haze Pro (PHP) with V7, it seems to "mute" the beads ever so slightly.

A fresh coat of PHP usually shows fairly tight spherical beads. But, after applying V7, I noticed they were not as round. Maybe its in my head, but I've noticed it more than once.

Not like I think it shows much about a spray sealant, but here are some pictures of my car with Purple Haze Pro after V7 was applied to all paint and glass:

On glass:

This one came out odd. It looks dark, but the sun was shining bright behind me:

I could not find an MSDS for V7 posted anywhere. I plan on emailing CG's for it. If they send it I will post it here.

I have to tell you, if I was detailing for dollars, I'm pretty sure I'd be buying V7 by the gallon. It not only looks great and is super easy to use in all conditions, for 40 bucks a gallon it's priced pretty fairly. There aren't many products out there that work this good and are this easy for a final wipedown to add a little pop to the surface. It may be CG's most successful product, as you rarely, if ever, see a bad word about it. I have also used it on top of Blacklight. The combo looks great, but it's not the most durable.

Thanks for reading. The end.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Hybrid V7 by Chemical Guys

Nice review!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review!

One thing I have found is that V7 works great if you have a vehicle thats Opti-coated. V7 leaves no streaking, makes opti-coat slick, and added even more gloss.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like
    I love v7

Clean ride

Post Thanks / Like

I buy it by the gallon..... and found myself many times wondering if it would taste like orange Tang (which is what the smell reminds me of), granted I am a little older than you guys and remember growing up on orange Tang!

Almost forgot to say, very nice review and nice read! Thanks for your contribution.

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review as usual.

V7 is one of my favorite detail sprays, I really can't bring myself to consider it a full on sealant though just a super detail spray or light sealant I guess but that doesn't mean I like it any less. I actually have a layer of black light and V7 on my black wheels and it looks quite amazing and has been repelling brake dust amazingly well for products not technically intended for wheel use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I've already mentioned V7 likely isn't the most durable spray sealant. I've also noticed it isn't the best beading spray sealant.

I could not find an MSDS for V7 posted anywhere. I plan on emailing CG's for it. If they send it I will post it here.

I have to tell you, if I was detailing for dollars, I'm pretty sure I'd be buying V7 by the gallon.
    Thanks for taking your time and efforts in the posting of this product's review!

To comment on the above highlights in your post:

-I do hope you get the MSDS for V7.
    NOTE:
    I'm still alive and kicking, even though I once was told by a different car-care-products manufacturer not to share an MSDS---but did it anyway.
    Had something to do with "ene". Later it was announced by that manufacturer that it was a misunderstanding between the parties. (Thank goodness!)

IMO...
    CG's products seem to be:

I. Designed/targeted for Professionals/Professional Detailing Shops...

Professionals have different needs:
    -They need inexpensively-priced products (also made available in bulk) in order to make money/be successful.
    -They don't care about durability...something that lasts for months/year?!?!...Wouldn't see their customers very often, if at all, again.

II. A "fake" Boutique car-care-products company that:
    -Feeds on peoples lack of knowledge
    -Employs disingenuous marketing/sales tactics
    -Hands-out massive samples/runs big sales events...with mark-ups approaching ~500% on products that they aren't lifting a finger to make.
    -Re-labeler for other Companies product-lines (that in turn often have huge mark-ups themselves).

It has been said that with most CG's products to buy a gallon of a product; have fun with it;
    and re-bottle some and send it to your friends. Just don't expect "true" protection with some of them.

-I will add that people need to research detailing-products heavily before buying them.
    There are companies that rebottle cheap bulk lines...and there are others that really don't care at all what they put in their stuff.

A week or so ago there was a thread on a detail forum about Chemical Guys.
    There was a lot of bashing going on about their customer service and their products. Well, I piled right on.
    Perhaps my above ramblings could be construed as one and the same.
    Hopefully not though.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    II. A "fake" Boutique car-care-products company that:
    -Feeds on peoples lack of knowledge
    -Employs disingenuous marketing/sales tactics
    -Hands-out massive samples/runs big sales events...with mark-ups approaching ~500% on products that they aren't lifting a finger to make.
    -Re-labeler for other Companies product-lines (that in turn often have huge mark-ups themselves).

Bob
    Them be fighting words!!!! ROFL! I sure hope CG is not the company that unsucessfully "threatened your life"

Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like
    CGs reminds me of Trojans. You may not get LONG TERM protection, but you usually have fun using the stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

CGs reminds me of Trojans. You may not get LONG TERM protection, but you usually have fun using the stuff.
    I actually laughed out loud for this one!!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast