autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

A Comparison of DG 341 Convert Fabric Restorer to CQuartz Fabric & Leather Prot'n

I have been using the CQuartz treatment with varying results on leather and
    wanted to try it on some fabric. When I was talking to Jerry at Duragloss,
    he advised that they have a waterproofing product marketed for convertible
    tops that they have been selling for at least 15 years. The marine
    industry is also a heavy user of the DG 341.

The Comparison Test:

These 2 giants are going head to head on an 8 foot outside table umbrella we have.

Application:

The CQuartz was applied according to manufacturer instructions including
    being cured with a heat gun. It had over a week to dry and cure completely
    while inside.

The DG product was not applied according to manufacturer instructions. It
    is meant to be put on with a sponge. It does not come with a spray head on
    the bottle, but rather a squueze bottle. I was not aware of the application method when I received it and put it into a spray bottle. The bottle did not have a fine enough mist and I used more than I should have. This product should not be inhaled, therefore a sponge is the preferred method of application. Once applied, it is recommended for the surface to dry in the sun. This product likes heat. I did not use a heat gun to apply it, but if one chooses to, then it should only be done once the surface is dry to the touch. Even though DG 341 is marketed as a convertible top sealant, it can seal many surfaces including porous surfaces such as cement or brick. I have not tested it on these surfaces but received reliable information that makes me believe it will seal damn near anything. Frankly, I don't know how this product escaped my view for so many years. You will see in the videos how it performed. I was told that it was not recommended for leather. I will be trying it on leather to see how it does anyway...it's got me curious!

Please check out this video comparison:

Cost comparison:

CQuartz Fabric & Leather:

250 ml= 8 oz bottle=$49.99
    = $6.24/ounce

DG 341

250 ml= 8 oz bottle=$13.39
    = $1.67/ounce

The DG is clearly the cost winner. This product is one of the best kept secrets for detailers IMO. It's been on the market for over 15 years and yet I've never heard anyone mention it on any forum. This blows 303 FG out of the water. The only downside I see is the small sized bottle. I wish it was available in a bigger size. Perhaps if enough people ask, they can do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Comparison of DG 341 Convert Fabric Restorer to CQuartz Fabric & Leather Prot'n

Thanks for the heads up! Great vid! Can't wait to try DG341

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Comparison of DG 341 Convert Fabric Restorer to CQuartz Fabric & Leather Prot'n

Quote Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! Great vid! Can't wait to try DG341
    You're welcome! I just felt this was a real hidden gem in their lineup.

Post Thanks / Like

What aboot durability??
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    What aboot durability??
    Mark, this was the first time I've used the product, so I cannot give you an answer based on my own experience. However, what I feel is an equally credible answer comes from Jerry at Duragloss who tells me that it lasts a long time and has been used heavily and consistently by the marine industry for 15 years. To me, marine usage of this would be more harsh than automotive use. I am looking forward to seeing how both last on the umbrella. I am going to do a pair of white running shoes with both products and test for motor oil, chocolate and mustard like they do on the Never Wet videos. Stay tuned.

Post Thanks / Like

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I actually vastly overestimated the amount of DG 341 I used in the video. I had not yet dumped the remaining product into the spray bottle and I thought I had only a bit left. Turns out I had 24 oz remaining from the quart, therefore I used only 8 oz to coat that whole area. I thought it seemed like more that what I had used when I said it; I should have measured it first before opening my yap.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review Richy.
    Right now I'm using the 303 fg pretty heavily on my boat. The bimini is brand new so no coating yet but the 303 is used right now on the canvas enclosure, sunpad cover, cockpit carpet, hatch covers, and interior carpet runners.
    I've been using more and more DG products and I'm always impressed. Could I use the 341 on all of these areas and have better protection?