autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Brief Review: Nanoskin Autoscrub Prep Sponge

Hi guys,

Wanted to share some quick thoughts on the Nanoskin sponge, fine grade.

Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge

I am a weekend warrior/hobby detailer. My girlfriend has a very neglected Trailblazer that I got a chance to do some work on over the weekend. Her car is covered with small little rust spots.

This is the paint prior to washing.

I first hosed down the car, and then washed using Megs Gold Class Shampoo, using the two bucket method/grit guards. I also put in a little DP Rinseless Wash and Gloss into my wash bucket.

Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner 64 oz. - A moisturizing car wash & conditioning soap to lubricate and clean your vehicle.

DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss, no rinse car wash, concentrated no rinse wash, quick detail spray, waterless wash

Here is the condition of the paint after washing:

Still quite a bit of tar/rust spots.

I have clayed my own car once in my life. While I was very impressed with the results, I found the process to be quite long and tedious. The clay bar was difficult to hold, surface area was small, and it seems impossible not to drop it at least once. Solution? Enter the prep sponge! This thing is frankly amazing, and IMO a must-purchase to anyone who is used to using the clay bar. While you can step up to the washmit/towel, this is a much lower pricepoint to get the same material. I found the sponge to me MUCH easier to hold/grip and move along the paint. I noticed no marring from the fine-grade sponge. It did seem like it was losing effectiveness as I went along, but I suspect I was just getting tired. I used ONR as my clay lube and worked my way across the car.

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine: clay lubricant, optimum rinseless wash, no rinse car wash, optimum detailing products

Here is is after a rinse and a wipedown with D156:

Meguiars Synthetic X-press Spray Wax, X-press car wax, Meguiars X-press spray liquid wax, D156

Still a few chips that I might fill with Dr. Colorchip in the future, but she is looking much better after just a wash and clay with spray wax. Next step will be machine polishing and applying my new DP Paint Coating.

Verdict: Must own product. No reason to torture yourself with the old school clay bar. Embrace the future!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brief Review: Nanoskin Autoscrub Prep Sponge

I just got the 2 pack of these 2weeks ago with fine and med. I first had the CG foam black along time ago and it sucked..put me off these clay alternatives. now i used the fine grade on my car and wifes and its fantastic. it removes things quick and leaves little to no marring at all and what marring it does is very hard to see. I have not used teh med. grade yet but I love the fine grade. You can get a car done in no time as well

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review. I too just picked up the two pack of fine and medium. I had a towel, traded it, regretted it, so I purchased the sponge instead and dying to use them soon. Nice results, glad I went back. I do like clay, it's always done the job. But obviously this is quicker.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely vouch for this product. I've used it myself and it works extremely well. Still undecided as to which I like better between this and the Mitt.

Nice review mavin!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the fine & med. grade sponge too. Haven't used it yet!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I just used mine for the 1st time yesterday. I have the medium grade and used it on the hood of a heavily neglected 4Runner. It did well and the paint smoothed out nicely. One thing to keep in mind regarding your comment about losing it's effectiveness as you moved along - make sure you clean it as you go. If you have a small amount of soapy water you can swirl it around in, then wipe of the residue. I had a MF towel that I would wipe it on after a dunk in the soapy water and I could see the dirt clearly coming off. Then hit it w/ a couple spritz of the lubricant and move on.

Another thing I've read in the past is that people are curious about "how can you tell that it is picking everything up, if you can't see the transfer?" or "how can you feel it's effectiveness?" It is pretty clear that it is working when you start off, as it is quite grabby and emits a rough sound, and then smooths out and quiets down as it is cleaning your paint. Just make sure to clean it as you go, just like you would with clay. Instead of kneading the clay you're merely wiping the sponge surface clean.

I agree on your thoughts that it is easy to hold. Your results speak for themself. Nice job on cleaning up that white paint.
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

yea i cleaned mine in a bucket of my Ultima rinseless wash media that i just used to clean the car. I would dunk it in..give it a rub with my hand to remove any trapped stuff and then rinse off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AC in OC View Post
    Nice review. I just used mine for the 1st time yesterday. I have the medium grade and used it on the hood of a heavily neglected 4Runner. It did well and the paint smoothed out nicely. One thing to keep in mind regarding your comment about losing it's effectiveness as you moved along - make sure you clean it as you go. If you have a small amount of soapy water you can swirl it around in, then wipe of the residue. I had a MF towel that I would wipe it on after a dunk in the soapy water and I could see the dirt clearly coming off. Then hit it w/ a couple spritz of the lubricant and move on.

Another thing I've read in the past is that people are curious about "how can you tell that it is picking everything up, if you can't see the transfer?" or "how can you feel it's effectiveness?" It is pretty clear that it is working when you start off, as it is quite grabby and emits a rough sound, and then smooths out and quiets down as it is cleaning your paint. Just make sure to clean it as you go, just like you would with clay. Instead of kneading the clay you're merely wiping the sponge surface clean.

I agree on your thoughts that it is easy to hold. Your results speak for themself. Nice job on cleaning up that white paint.
    Thanks! I was dunking the sponge in my wash bucket of DP wash n gloss/Gold Glass Shampoo as I was going. I did not wipe it down though with a microfiber.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.I will try it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used these yet but I can see now I need to try them out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast