autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Griot's HD Wheel Cleaner (with pictures)

Hello all,

First, I wanted to say thank you for everyone that writes reviews! You all have potentially saved me thousands of dollars (and I'm just an enthusiast) and contributed to my family's cars shine! This is my first reviews for something that I find to be one of the most difficult aspects of detailing: wheel cleaning. It is truly difficult to find a wheel cleaner that allows you safety, power, and cost effectiveness, which is why I am currently trying (at least what seems like) every product currently in the market.

Here is today's subject: my mom's 2012 BMW X5, with uncoated, unsealed factory aluminum clear-coated wheels. As you can see, they had a good amount of grime (sorry, from my iPhone 5 camera, couldn't find the point n shoot but I will leave them so they can be enlarged through the browser for better viewing) and brake dust caked on. I figured that since I am saving the Soanx Full Effect for my dad's test, now would be a good time to try the Griot's HD Wheel Cleaner.

Yeah, yeah, I heard you!

Front Right, Before

Back Right, Before

Back Left, Before

Front Left, Before

Here are the tools that were used for the wheels (sorry about the shadow)

1)Griot's Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner
    2)Daytona Speed Master Brush
    3)Daytona Speed Master Jr. Brush
    4)Mother's Wheel Brush
    5)Boar's Hair Lug Nut Brush

The directions from Griot's Garage state to:
    1) Rinse the wheel (personally, I hate using a wheel cleaner on a wet wheel as I don't feel it cleans as well. As long as the wheels are cool to the touch, and the product does not dry, I do not see the harm, especially with "safe" wheel cleaners. For the purposes of the review, I followed Griot's directions.)
    2) Spray product onto surface
    3) Let sit. Watch color change
    4) Re-wet lightly with product (if needed)
    5) Agitate with cleaning tools
    6) Rinse clean wheel

Rinsing right, front wheel

Spraying on wheel cleaner, 1

Spraying on wheel cleaner, 2

As you can see, the Griot's foaming sprayer with the wheel cleaner tends to foam up nicely. For a couple bucks, it is definitely a useful tool over a fine-mist sprayer.

Wheel sprayed, dwell starting
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7415/9...2c245539_b.jpg

Color-changing, "bleeding" effect of product reacting with iron

Agitation with Mother's Wheel Brush

Agitation with Daytona Speed Master Jr. Brush (remember, always wear gloves when dealing with chemicals. Even so-called "safe" ones.)

Final rinse of first wheel

Foaming the second wheel. For this test, I wanted to see how well the wheel cleaner worked without agitation; a true spray on, dwell, spray off method.

As you can see from the above picture, the results were pretty bad. While there is a slight improvement, without tools the wheel cleaner becomes less than average. I was not expecting anything different, because in my view using a safe wheel cleaner pretty much means that agitation is needed. Interesting test, nonetheless.

Then, my phone died (thanks Apple!)

So now you all get to have pictures painted for you with my words and mastery of the English language!

On the next wheel I again, wet the wheel and applied cleaner. After a couple minute dwell, I re-applied cleaner and started agitating. The foam worked up into a lather really well. After using all my tools, the wheel rinsed clean easily. The same process was done on the last wheel.

Final Thoughts

All in all, I would have to say that I am pretty happy with Griot's HD Wheel Cleaner. Only time will tell if this becomes my "go-to" cleaner. The cleaner cannot be diluted, which brings the 35oz to roughly $0.54 per ounce and the gallon refill to $0.39 per ounce. Certainly not Chemical Guys Sticky or Signature, but still less expensive than many of its rivals, such as Sonax Full Effect, P21S, Wolfgang Über, Auto Finesse, 1Z Einszett ColourTec, etc.

Again, this product is not effective if used as a spray-on, spray-off product - agitation is needed. That being said, as many of you would argue, if you're going to agitate then you may as well use soap. True, but for many of us "enthusiasts", where bottom line and price point don't matter as much as to production detailers, a little bit of effort saved in the scrubbing department more than makes up for the added cost.

On a side note, I will be doing more reviews of wheel cleaners, and hopefully other things, so any and all feedback on my style, pictures, content, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I thoroughly enjoy reading others reviews and I hope that this one has helped, even in the slightest. Again, sorry for the lack of after pictures but you all can thank the newest (for now) version of the iPhone.

Look forward to questions and comments! Happy detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Griot's HD Wheel Cleaner (with pictures)

Nice write up.

I really like this wheel cleaner as a back up to Full Effect and Iron Out. Autozone carries it now as well.
    -----------------------------------
    http://www.birminghamautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. I love this wheel cleaner as it's locally available. Use a coupon code to get it much cheaper at your local auto store. I like it a little better than Sonax's FE. Will have to do a comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

Good review. I have been very happy with this product.

As for needing agitation, I think all products need agitation to achieve the best results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheCougarGuy View Post
    Good review. I have been very happy with this product.

As for needing agitation, I think all products need agitation to achieve the best results.
    A agree, agitation is really a must with the products. That being said, some products foam up and make agitation easier than others. Griot's HD Wheel Cleaner is definitely one of the better/easier ones.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had good results using this as well. I agitate as well. Although my wheels are kept fairly clean and I have not tried it on a wheel that has more brake dust material. I have the nozzle on the sprayer adjusted to more of a mist rather than a stream like you used. Other than that it works as advertised.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSou View Post
    Thanks for the review. I love this wheel cleaner as it's locally available. Use a coupon code to get it much cheaper at your local auto store. I like it a little better than Sonax's FE. Will have to do a comparison.
    You will probably get similar results. I trust Full Effect and Iron Out to give consistently great results on all wheels with zero anxiety of doing any damage.
    -----------------------------------
    http://www.birminghamautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TundraPower View Post
    You will probably get similar results. I trust Full Effect and Iron Out to give consistently great results on all wheels with zero anxiety of doing any damage.
    I just used SONAX Full Effect on my car this morning and I can say, it is better. Whether or not it is worth the increase in price between the two products is up to each individual (or just wait for my review )

Note: even with Full Effect it needs to be scrubbed. The area that I missed on the side of the face had significant accumulation. The parts that I did not miss looked phenomenal, of course!

Post Thanks / Like

I have Griot's HD Wheel Cleaner and love it.. Also have ammo plum they smell the exactly the same and I feel they work about the same Griot's is my go to for dirty rims I use cg stuff for rims that are not to dirty.