autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Gtechniq EXO v2 Complete Kit

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Now that a couple months has passed. How did this combo end up turning out?? Any problems with the streaking?? I'm debating on what to do. I have EXO on the way. I may order the C1...
    Great!

That's how to sum it up. The beading and sheeting is still awesome. Cleaning this car with ONR is a breeze. I also put G1 on the windshield, and I have no complaints about it.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    Great!

That's how to sum it up. The beading and sheeting is still awesome. Cleaning this car with ONR is a breeze. I also put G1 on the windshield, and I have no complaints about it.
    Good to hear. I also have the new Detailers paint coating. I was thinking about trying the EXO over that. I haven't seen any posts about anyone doing that yet. A little bit concerned about drying time etc. I'm sure someone has tried it! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Would exo be okay to top over cquartz UK after it's curing process?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patjacobs View Post
    Would exo be okay to top over cquartz UK after it's curing process?
    Straight from Gtechniq's website in the blog section. Yes. You should fully read the blog section for full information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClayR View Post
    Straight from Gtechniq's website in the blog section. Yes. You should fully read the blog section for full information.
    Appreciate it, I've checked everywhere but couldn't find it before .. Didn't bother checking the main source!

Post Thanks / Like

One additional note. While I love EXO I must caution you about staying away from automatic washes with EXO. I made the mistake about three months ago in a rush to go through a touchless basic wash. The wash had to have used a decent amount of alkaline solution as where ever the sprayers hit the EXO layer was gone. I think Gtechniq knows this might be a problem as it is listed in the blog on their website to avoid any high alkaline wash but they use iron-x as an example. I'm fairly sure the auto wash solution is not as strong as iron-x. Although I have read the wash solution for the touchless can be fairly strong to loosen dirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClayR View Post
    One additional note. While I love EXO I must caution you about staying away from automatic washes with EXO. I made the mistake about three months ago in a rush to go through a touchless basic wash. The wash had to have used a decent amount of alkaline solution as where ever the sprayers hit the EXO layer was gone. I think Gtechniq knows this might be a problem as it is listed in the blog on their website to avoid any high alkaline wash but they use iron-x as an example. I'm fairly sure the auto wash solution is not as strong as iron-x. Although I have read the wash solution for the touchless can be fairly strong to loosen dirt.
    I applied 2 coats of EXOv2 last June, great stuff. I use the pressure washer at the car wash as a last resort during the winter just to keep the big stuff from accumulating til it warms up enough to wash it at home. I only use their soap and “spot free” rinse (ya right). Here in Colorado, they use Magnesium Chloride to de-ice the roads and I certainly didn’t want that staying on too long. I never drive through the automatic “touchless” side, I like to control the distance from the nozzle to the paint. The touchless machines really get up close and blast the crap out of everything, maybe that’s what took your’s off? I too was concerned about the alkalinity of the soaps most of these places use so I took a sample home and tested it. The pH was a little over 10, not good for EXO. Figured I’d risk it and re-apply if I had to. After 4 or 5 trips to the car wash this winter, I noticed the lower sections of the front fenders and the bottom half of all the doors were not beading at all. I thought the high pH of the carwash soap had stripped the EXO. The weird part was that all the horizontal sections were ok? On the first nice day in about 3 months, I hand washed it at home with some Pinnacle Bodywork and my Carpro wool mitt. The sections that had looked like the EXO was gone were beading and sheeting fine just like the rest of the car. Apparently, the Mag Chloride had sprayed up along both sides of the car and was sitting on top of the EXO making it look like it was gone. Luckily, it came off and the EXO seems to have made it through the winter. It’s been 9 months now and it looks like the day I put it on. Here’s a few (crappy cellphone) pics of the mag chloride spray pattern on the side and the beading that returned after a proper wash. The last one is of the hood which has looked like this the whole time, even after using a carwash sprayer, high pH soap and the Colorado winter. This is my DD but I still want to keep it protected. EXO does the job and so far shows no sign of wearing off.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kilgore: I didn't want to copy your whole post, but I just wanted to say that what you experienced is absolutely normal. The same thing is happening to my truck (I'm in Wilton, Ct). I try to keep it as salt free as possible, and plan on doing a complete wash once the weather FINALLY breaks. (hopefully soon). During the Spring, Summer and Fall, just a simple foam and rinse should work, but the Magnesium Chloride will still cling to the surface until it's hit with a sponge.
    Kevin Awalt
    GTechniq North America
    (866) 561-0487 KevinAwalt@GTechniqNA.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345