autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Zymol Glasur

Zymol Glasur

Product description:
    The Zymol Porsche Glasur Glaze Wax was developed and specially engineered in co-operation with the Porsche Club of America for Porsche and critically tested at various Porsche Club events. The Zymol Porsche Glasur Glaze Wax is suitable for all factory Porsche paint finishes. Formulated with 56% Brazilian Yellow carnauba to protect and enhance the original factory paintwork. Applying the Zymol glaze wax on your Porsche vehicle will give the paint surface unbelievable depth, gloss, and shine. Zymol created the Porsche Glasur Glaze Wax to put the shine and reflection back into your Porsche and a must-have for all Porsche owners.

Price:
    -$101 for an 8oz pot

Initial impressions:
    -White color
    -The smell is absolutely incredible. Probably the best smelling wax I have ever used. It smells gourmet and I want to eat it so badly lol. The first smells that hit me are mainly coconut, a little banana, and an almost like a Hawaiian Tropic sun tan lotion smell. Its really hard to describe, but all of these scents come together to create a very unique smell.
    -Nice container with an o-ring, but I find the lid to be a pain to put back on
    -This wax is incredibly soft. It's very hard to describe the consistency of it. It's so soft at room temperature that it needs to be refrigerated to make it a little more firm.
    -Because this is a high-priced luxurious wax, you get a certificate of authenticity from Zymol.
    -The wax also comes in a nice satin pull string bag to keep it in.

Preparation:
    -Car was washed with Dawn and left to dwell to remove previous LSP's.
    -Car was then dried dried and treated with IronX paste to remove iron embedded into clear coat.
    -All exterior surfaces were clayed.
    -All exterior surfaces were wiped down with 17.5% Isopropyl Alcohol to make a clean surface for the wax to bond to.

Application & removal:
    As with most higher priced luxurious waxes, Zymol Glasur is meant to be applied with bare hands. I followed their directions and applied it by bare hand. I cleaned my hands with dawn soap to remove oils and make them clean so no contaminants would be mixed in with the wax. I then scooped out a little larger than a pea sized amount to prime my hands with 1 finger and put it into the palm of my hand. After that I rubbed my hands together very fast to melt the wax and make it pliable. The heat from rubbing your hands is supposedly supposed to activate something in the wax. You can feel the wax melt in your hands as you rub them together. It then becomes a thin, oil consistency and is very easy to spread. When I apply with my bare hands, I start by patting my hands over the panel to get some wax around the whole panel. I then tilt my hands so my fingers face each other and run them towards my body or down towards the ground (depending if its a vertical or horizontal panel) over-lapping each hand as I move across the panel. The wax sort of stops spreading a little and that means just rub your hands together again quick and go back to spreading. Something you can't do with a foam applicator. I fell if you tried to put a foam applicator in the pot to get some wax out, you would take too much out and be using a lot more than needed. The wax feels special to use and is an absolute pleasure to apply. Its a fun and unique experience and the smell it has is an added bonus. It really makes the whole garage smell of Glasur. Some people say you use more product apply it by bare hand, but I actually think its about equal because you are heating the wax up and melting it, making it easier to apply. The wax doesn't get absorbed into your hands like it would in a foam applicator so you are using almost 100% of the product with with bare hands. Not enough heat is generated with the applicator to make the product as thin as it needs to be to spread it further and better. By the time you are done applying it to the panel, its time to remove it. I found that a short nap microfiber is a lot better to remove it than a long nap microfiber. Removal is almost effortless. There is an initial bite that is really easy to remove , but after you feel the bite, the surface is pretty much clean and clear unlike Natty's red where you have to wipe over it again quick to get a spot or 2 that got left behind under the residue.

Durability:
    I can't really comment on the durability because there are too many factors involved in this. The car is going to be used for the next week and then is going to sit in the garage un-used until August. I also wash weekly and apply a spray wax after every wash so that slightly extends the durability.

Looks:
    I will report back on the gloss and appearance when the sun is actually out. It's been raining since monday morning.

Pictures:
    Initial amount used for 1 panel and to prime my bare hands. I only applied this wax to 1 panel to test it out and because like I said, the car is just going to be garaged for about a month and a half. For the next panel I would keep spreading a and rubbing my hands together until I needed to get another pea sized amount of the wax to melt again.

Conclusion:
    So far its the best wax I have used. I definitely would by it again and recommend it to anyone who is looking for a wax in the $100 price range. There really is nothing bad I can say about the wax. Maybe the lid is a paint to put back on

Goes on thick but still effortless to remove.

Certificate of Authenticity that comes with the wax.

I hope you guys enjoyed this review.

-Note: This review was not created to get everyone to go out and buy Zymol stuff. This review was done because I had many AGO members that requested I do a review on it. I really wish you guys at AG would carry Zymol!

Post Thanks / Like
    The used to be a guy near who was a Zymol dealer. I picked up a tub of Glasur specifically for my drum set. It has an ebony stained, birdseye maple lacquer finish. Once a year or so, I strip them down, HD cleanse them and re Glasur them. Sadly, that drum set is worth more than my car currently...

Great write up!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Zymol Glasur

How did the hand application go for you?

Tire you out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review. I have Glasur as well and it does feel pretty special. I tried the bare hand application and quickly realized its wasn't working well for me. The wax was getting applied unevenly and I was using way too much. One thing I noticed is the wax melts super easy, but also hazes super quick, so it would haze before I could spread it. I ended up using a foam applicator, which worked fine. Application is a unique experience compared to other similar products.

The texture sort of reminded me of mashed potatoes. I ended up breaking the crappy jar when I dropped it, and had to transfer it to another jar. I actually called Zymol about getting a jar, but they never called me back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Nice review. I have Glasur as well and it does feel pretty special. I tried the bare hand application and quickly realized its wasn't working well for me. The wax was getting applied unevenly and I was using way too much. One thing I noticed is the wax melts super easy, but also hazes super quick, so it would haze before I could spread it. I ended up using a foam applicator, which worked fine. Application is a unique experience compared to other similar products.

The texture sort of reminded me of mashed potatoes. I ended up breaking the crappy jar when I dropped it, and had to transfer it to another jar. I actually called Zymol about getting a jar, but they never called me back.
    Did you keep rubbing your hands together when it would stop spreading? Thats the key to get a good application. Thats it, the texture is like an over-boiled skinned potato. When you push on it, it's a little firm but your finger just pushes through after.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    The used to be a guy near who was a Zymol dealer. I picked up a tub of Glasur specifically for my drum set. It has an ebony stained, birdseye maple lacquer finish. Once a year or so, I strip them down, HD cleanse them and re Glasur them. Sadly, that drum set is worth more than my car currently...

Great write up!

Review: Zymol Glasur-dscf0425-jpg

Sorry if this is somewhat steering this thread, but here's a pic of my Drum Set, and also, a valuable collector set, this one originally was ordered, owned, and played by the late great Barrett Deems. (Barrett was Louis Armstrong's drummer for many years)

Of course this is a wrap, not a wood wrap, or Stave-Solid Shell with a finish.

Of course, it's White Marine Pearl!
    When I first got the set, I treated to a lovingly coat of Meg's #20, and it worked wonderful, as well as some years later, hitting it with Zaino Z2.

Next time around, I think I might do it with either Menzerna Powerlock, or maybe Duragloss #105, or #111. Then maybe top with one of the great WOWA Sealants to perhaps amp the shine even more?

The set is absolutely mint, built for Barrett circa 1980. I've owned it since 2001, and of course the set is always covered to retard any possible UV fading-yellowing. I do have the Cannister Throne which came with the set as well, but have it stored in an Humes& Berg padded Vulcanized Fiber Case.
    The entire Set came with H&B Cases.

Cymbals are all Paiste Sigs, with large, but phenominal 15" A. Zildjian New Beat Hi Hats. This was an "Endorser Set", meant to dedicate his late great friend, Gene Krupa, and he used this set at the Elbo Room in Chicago for a short period.
    Barrett was a Slingerland endorser for probably a good 30 years. Mark

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=otruba_843;895088]Did you keep rubbing your hands together when it would stop spreading? Thats the key to get a good application.

Definitely the key here.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Wow , thanx for sharing mate ! Great review .

Hey Mark , you happen to have PL , put on 2 coats then apply Glasur on top , you ll have great results .

LOL I happen to play bass , but like drums as well .

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hoyt66;895180]
    Quote Originally Posted by otruba_843 View Post
    Did you keep rubbing your hands together when it would stop spreading? Thats the key to get a good application.

Definitely the key here.
    No. I didn't. I've seen people do that in videos, but it doesn't work well for me. I applied Dodo Pro waxes to my whole car by hand w/o issue, they seem to be not as soft, but spread farther.

I could have been that it was super hot last summer IIR when I last used my Zymol.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=swanicyouth;895221]
    Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post

No. I didn't. I've seen people do that in videos, but it doesn't work well for me. I applied Dodo Pro waxes to my whole car by hand w/o issue, they seem to be not as soft, but spread farther.

I could have been that it was super hot last summer IIR when I last used my Zymol.
    It's funny because I think the exact opposite. I thought BV pro was impossible to spread by hand and applicator.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast