autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Mini-Review: Lake Country 5" Hybrid Pads

About a month ago, I thought I had made my best detailing purchase - a Flex 3401 VRG polisher. Today I must admit I was wrong, as my best purchase showed up in the mail today. That purchase would be the Lake Country Hybrid Pads for my Flex 3402 VRG.

To say that these pads are, as others have said, "the cat's meow" is an understatement. These pads are what night is to day, the yin to the yang, the walla-walla... These pads are absolute BUTTER!!

Before today, I've been pretty "meh" about my Flex. I used it with my CarPro denim pads, Meguiar's MF pads, and Lake Country CCS pads. In every case, my Flex went on more walks than a dog in heat during a full moon. It was always a case of man over machine and in most cases, machine winning. With the Hybrid pads, it's like my Flex is floating on a cloud of air. Product lays down smoothly and I look forward to the next application.

When I first saw these pads I thought "what the heck are these stupid pads? They sure like flat and boring..." Then after the issues with my other pads and after reading reviews, I decided to give the hybrids a shot. Man am I glad I did! These pads work so well that you'd think that they were made for the Flex - wait, what? Yes, in fact they ARE made for the Flex.

You may think you own a Flex, but until you have these pads, your Flex owns you!
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mini-Review: Lake Country 5" Hybrid Pads

nice review! i will have to get these if I get a flex no doubt

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not as enthusiastic as you about these pads but yes they work very well. Others with similar results are the LC CCS and CG Hex pads. I've never had much of an issue with a polisher walking much. I think technique with any polisher is important. NOt really surte which is my favorite yet. Just finished polishing and waxing my wifes car tonight and used the 3401 and hybred pads. Like I said worked out very nicely.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Those are my pads of choice for my flex as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I never had any issues with the Flex walking, but the 5" Hybrids do work extremely well with the Flex 3401.

First off, the stock BP for the 3401 was sized for a 6.5" pad, so most users initially experience the 3401 for the first time with a 6.5" pad. Secondly, many were upgrading from a very forgiving PC DA type machine. The Flex's force rotation combined with a relatively large 6.5" pad is not as forgiving and will surprise the unwary with "the walk" when tilted.

The LC system of 4" BP and 5" Hybrid pad significantly reduces "the walk" mainly because it's much smaller pad.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, maybe I was exaggerating a bit on the walking... The point I was trying to make was that with other pads, and especially larger pads, the Flex tends to pull if you aren't holding the polisher completely and totally flat, or if you come up to a curve. For someone like me who is 5' 9", 155 lbs, and out of shape, it can be a bit of a struggle at times, though polishing is finally getting me a much-needed workout... With the hybrid pads, the Flex just glides over the surface effortlessly, and the pad seems to naturally level out the polisher.

The following is NOT a technique that I use nor endorse: Take the Flex with an orange CCS pad and reach over the hood of your car, work it up to a 6, and just barely hold it by the very back of the polisher closest to the cord. Now try it with an orange Hybrid pad at the same speed. Does it stay in pretty much the same place, or does it pull? Again, DO NOT actually use this technique for polishing. It's for demonstration purposes ONLY.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post
    I never had any issues with the Flex walking, but the 5" Hybrids do work extremely well with the Flex 3401.

First off, the stock BP for the 3401 was sized for a 6.5" pad, so most users initially experience the 3401 for the first time with a 6.5" pad. Secondly, many were upgrading from a very forgiving PC DA type machine. The Flex's force rotation combined with a relatively large 6.5" pad is not as forgiving and will surprise the unwary with "the walk" when tilted.

The LC system of 4" BP and 5" Hybrid pad significantly reduces "the walk" mainly because it's much smaller pad.
    I'd say you pretty much nailed it!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the mini review. I am also a big fan of the hybrid pads. IMO these are the best pads for the 3401.