autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Aqualpel, not worth the hype

I bought the kit for the aquapel coating. While it is easy to apply, I was only able to do the windshield and two front windows on my Mazda 3. I followed the instructions explicitly and even clayed and prepped the glass with IPA/ water solution prior to application. It was very fiddly to remove with a micro fiber, HARDER to remove than RainX, as it kept streaking badly. This was on a 75* day with mild humidity. The next day it rained like crazy and though it does repel rain it didn't do so until I was at highway speeds. RainX allows the water to move faster. I suppose this is a trade off for longevity? Hoping someone can suggest a product that works like freshly applied RainX but lasts and does not chatter wiper blades and is priced fairly. So far out of Griots, Aquapel and RainX, the RainX is the most effective with a small trade off in durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aqualpel, not worth the hype

How do you tyically apply your rain x? The directions used to state, and my still state, that you're supposed rinse the window with cool water after application of rain x and before wiping the window...as the water gets rid of most of the residue that's hard to wipe off.

I've never used aquapel, but I am left wondering if the application and removal process are similar to rain x. I don't know.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Why use India Pale Ale to clean glass?

Lol

I have tried only rain x and Aquapel and I have made the same observation as you. Rain x us better but lasts for crap. I have a bottle of Griots waiting for me right now though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    How do you tyically apply your rain x? The directions used to state, and my still state, that you're supposed rinse the window with cool water after application of rain x and before wiping the window...as the water gets rid of most of the residue that's hard to wipe off.

I've never used aquapel, but I am left wondering if the application and removal process are similar to rain x. I don't know.

My RainX application goes on in criss cross pattern. I allow it to haze for 5-10 minutes and re-apply. Let that haze over again and use a microfiber with a few spritz's of cold water. Leave the glass crystal clear and the water zips right off. After a few weeks it repels water like Aquapel does when freshly applied. Wipers begin to chatter as it wears off.

Aquapel expressly states to not allow the product to dry to the windows. So I smeared it around alot trying to buff it clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Griots and Pinnacle seem the same to me. Either one I use with no complaints.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my aquapel. It has never made my wipers chatter that I can remember. I normally use stoners glass cleaner with rain repellent to clean it so I'm sure that helps to.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought aquapel and haven't been very impresed either. I was thinking of trying Pinnacle's system next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try putting aquapel on to half the windshield and remove immediately while still wet. If its hard to remove bc it's dried just spray a little window cleaner of your choice and wipe with mf.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stop beating around the bush and buy opti glass. You will thank yourself later.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not just use your favorite sealant on the glass, its what I do and in steady rain at highway speeds no using the wipers, awesome!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast