autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3M Paint Defender (Spray-on Clear Bra) Review

A couple updates roughly 20 hours after.

It is still appearing a bit cloudy and you can see high spots. Unfortunately in the instructions it doesn't state what you can do with high spots, only that you have roughly 10 minutes to fill in low spots.

Here are a couple pictures

Driver's Side (With spray-on clear-bra)

Passenger's Side (Without)

You can see there's quite a bit of rough texturing to it even almost 24 hours after, 3M does state 1-4 days so I'll continue to monitor and check back.

Post Thanks / Like

48 hours after

Still extremely hazy and the high spots didn't level themselves out leading to a glaring problem since there's no instruction on how to level it. I felt if I tried to wipe it down with a microfiber it would not only leave a hole but probably destroy a towel as well. But it still has 2 days for 3M's cure time, so we shall see.

If that's not bad enough, here's the dirt pulled off my windows after just a week.

Tip: Having a car parked outside 24/7 in the southwest is extremely dusty.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the typical thickness of the application if applied properly? I've heard the actual paint protection film on the market is about 8mils thick and it's warrantied against defect for 5 years although it cost more, including paint lift if that happens but only through their certified installers. How many of us are going to really want to mask our vehicles off each year to apply the product? We have no protection if we peel paint during a removal. Can we wet sand and buff on it as they say can be done with the standard film? Also there are films out there I've heard with self healing properties does this by chance have it? That would be great!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    I seen another thread about this 3M product on this forum about a week, or two, ago.

I just came from Wal-Mart and noticed that ArmorAll has a similar product for sale for $12 and change.
    +1 Saw this as well and it peaked my interest, but NOT waiting 4 days for curing. That is completely out of the question for me.
    2013 Nissan Sentra SL (Arctic White)
    2013 Nissan Altima S (Metallic Grey)
    2012 Toyota Corolla S 5 speed (White)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRunnings View Post
    What is the typical thickness of the application if applied properly? I've heard the actual paint protection film on the market is about 8mils thick and it's warrantied against defect for 5 years although it cost more, including paint lift if that happens but only through their certified installers. How many of us are going to really want to mask our vehicles off each year to apply the product? We have no protection if we peel paint during a removal. Can we wet sand and buff on it as they say can be done with the standard film? Also there are films out there I've heard with self healing properties does this by chance have it? That would be great!
    I can tell you it's nowhere near as thick as Xpel which I have and you are correct is around 8mils. If I had to wager a guess I'd say the 3M spray is no more than 1-2 mils at most, think of a thickness of Saran Wrap. I'll have an update in a week when I remove it after a road trip (final test for it to redeem itself)

After using it, and granted my application may not have been perfect but I did follow the steps exactly, this is an item that would help against minor rock chips and bug etching. But in such a way that I would literally spray on a couple days before a road trip and remove it immediately after. I couldn't recommend any wet sanding or buffing as I think you would ultimately go right through the stuff. And to my knowledge it's self leveling, albeit severely lacking in that area, but not self-healing. If I find anything different I'll let you know.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting look forward to the update
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Cool...interesting idea..

Post Thanks / Like
    why when there is plasti dip ?
    $30 3m - $7-8 pd

plasti dip has there original clear , actually it will be clear matte . or the glossifier for clear . $7-8 a can, or in gallons . if using rattle can get the dip nozzle . put on as many coats as u want , spray over it again at any time ( need clean prepping ) , any dings , chips, peeling , whatever can be fixed without having to remove all the dip . . can last up to 3 years , very resistant to elements . great for winter/salt protection . easily peels off , even easier with the more coats u put down. otherwise use the dip dissolver and pw it off . with proper technique it will lay flat and smooth .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poweraid View Post
    why when there is plasti dip ?
    $30 3m - $7-8 pd

plasti dip has there original clear , actually it will be clear matte . or the glossifier for clear . $7-8 a can, or in gallons . if using rattle can get the dip nozzle . put on as many coats as u want , spray over it again at any time ( need clean prepping ) , any dings , chips, peeling , whatever can be fixed without having to remove all the dip . . can last up to 3 years , very resistant to elements . great for winter/salt protection . easily peels off , even easier with the more coats u put down. otherwise use the dip dissolver and pw it off . with proper technique it will lay flat and smooth .
    Plain curiosity honestly. And I believe this stuff holds up better to chemicals when washing than plasti-dip and that this was supposed to be self-leveling whereas I don't believe plasti-dip is. Although like you said when in doubt with plasti-dip you just respray.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does either of these two products have a UV inhibitor within them cause that's an added benefit also that I'd be interested in?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast