autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber detailing towels

Are the microfiber detailing rags they sell in Walmart as good as the ones they sell online?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber detailing towels

I know some Megs uses a different design with horizontal fibers, but other than that I think most are pretty close. Some have sew'd edges to prevent scratches. I wash them with a bit of vinegar to keep then soft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Are the microfiber detailing rags they sell in Walmart as good as the ones they sell online?
    What do you plan on using them for? Interior and cleaning? If you plain on using them for paint then I would recommend something that is thick soft plush and has good weight.

Learn About Microfiber. Microfiber towels & tools are the future of car care detailing!

There is a link and it explains all about mf towels
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

versus...

Not quite. The Walmart/Target/over-the-counter microfiber towels are great for the nasty jobs, but I would never ever use them on paint.
    07 Mazda 6i

Post Thanks / Like

No. Something like Arctic Whites from AutoGeek is what you want for paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please don't call them rags! .

Seriously though OP yes ones online are preferred over OTC.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

The ones they sell at walmart and other stores that are really thin are good for interiors and other hard plastic surfaces.

I would use more plush towels for the paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Walmart also carries a line that is blue on one side and a tannish/gray on the other. They are really heavy, buff OK, but don't absorb water worth a darn. I use one as a pad under my arm on the center console. It's great for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Rags!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dooyaunastan View Post

versus...

Not quite. The Walmart/Target/over-the-counter microfiber towels are great for the nasty jobs, but I would never ever use them on paint.
    EXACTLY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Well the ones in Walmart I'd say are "rags" compared to everything else. That being said, I think they have a couple now in the $8 range that are decent enough. (I've not seen or used them in person though.)

Funny story;
    You will not FREAKING BELIEVE what I had a "well respected" detailer tell me today. Not just well respected, but a guy that does $495 minimum (exterior only) to $2000~$3000, $4000 and up paint correction(s) tell me he never uses anything in the "correction jobs" but bulk pack WalMart rags. (I call them rags, because they sure as hell are not 'towels.)

Says he always uses "virgin towels" from WalMart... Keeps extra bundles around and just throws them away after using. I mentioned that the Eurow 350's are not even 45˘ (which is cheaper than the WalMart crap) but they are much better towels. Then there are the other Costco towels that are dual-nap and actually decent light weight towels (after they are washed).

NOT TO MENTION the conversation was about how impressive some of the new 360's and 400's are that I have for the money. Would make really nice ONR towels, and on some paint they work for light compounding, all sealants, and even some easy to remove liquid waxes. Plus the 400's can even do QD, and some light wipe on walk away LSP's/spray waxes. But you MUST NOT have soft paint with even the very nice 400's unless they are very clean AND you change them often.

I'd rather have the heavyweight 530's I've gotten lately or the extra fluffy 600's or 700's.

Anyhow... even with *virgin* cheap towels I just don't see that stuff working.
    That honestly has got to be the biggest load of crap I've ever heard! I mean REALLY!
    I'd swear it was April Fools Day all day long, the way he was going on!
    He sells himself as a true detailing connoisseur, and as much doesn't even want to work on most daily drivers. (Which I also have no problem with as once you start dealing with people that HAVE the money to spend, they tend to not mind spending it once they understand what they are getting for their money. In other words, if they'll buy a 20 hour detail, it's something that's a lot more fun than 10, 2 hour details.)

I'll need to go spend half a day with the guy and watch what happens... hopefully to see if he is ACTUALLY working himself to death (because he doesn't have the right towel for the job) which would likely be most of the time! (If indeed this travesty is true.)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast