autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review of BlackFire “Black Ice”

Review of Black Fire “Black Ice”

A relatively new product from BlackFire has been introduced at Autogeek. It is called “Black Ice. The product description, describes it as a Hybrid Montan Sealant Wax. The combination of German-sourced, color-charged montan wax and genuine Brazilian carnauba wax. This combination was tailored specifically for black and dark colored vehicles.
    I was given the honor of testing, Black Ice for this review.
    The vehicle that I used the product on was a 2012 Chevy Cruz. The color of this car is Dark Bronze. In the sun the metal flake is very prominent and in the shade the color looks like chocolate.

Another product that BlackFire makes, is BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish it will be used to prep the clear coat prior to the applying the” Black Ice”. It is designed to remove old waxes and sealants and cleans the paint's surface to prep it for a shiny coat of wax or paint sealant.

As always, a two bucket wash was preformed. Once the car was dried, I moved the car into the garage to insure that no direct sun light would affect the performance of the products. I did the baggie test and the paint did not need to be clayed.

In the photos you will notice a little guy that is keeping me in line, “Ivan”.
    First step was to polish the clear coat, and I used a Flex 3401 Orbital Polisher and a Cobra Cross Groove Flex Foam™ 6.5 inch Red LSP Finishing Pad. The pad was primed and readied for the task. Setting 2 was used on the Flex polisher. A high speed setting was not used because no paint correction was being done, just prepping and removing old wax. Four over lapping cross passes per area and then I waited for a slight haze. Removal was not hard work, just slight pressure with a micro-fiber towel and it was off. The gloss enhancing polish did it job, the surface was very clean and clear.

On to the BlackFire “Black Ice”, Application was done two ways. I used a micro-fiber applicator by hand and the Flex 3401 Dual action polisher with a LC CCS Red Ultrasoft Wax/Sealant Foam 4 Inch Pad. Note: the wax is black in color and it will transfer that color to the pads. So if you have black applicator pads it I would recommend that they be used. I did try to wash the pads after and the black did stay on them. The red pad that I used on the flex was wash by using the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer and Detailer’s Pro Series Polishing Pad Rejuvenator.

Applying the Black Ice by hand was not difficult, it did go on with a little resistance. A little goes a long way, a thin coat is all that is needed per instructions. Applying with the Flex 3401 was a dream, the pad just fit into the tub of wax. Again just a little on the pad is all that is needed. Keeping a thin layer of wax was effortless with the Flex. So, my preference was to apply by machine but that does not mean that applying by hand is out. As per the instructions, the wax was applied extremely thin and allowed to dry to a haze for about 10 minutes before being removed from each section.

Time for the results: Removal was a breeze. I used a Cobra Super Plush XL Microfiber Towel, 25 x 36. When this towel is folded up it makes for a very thick buffing towel. You may think that is way to big but with all that cushion, you will not install any feather scratches. Plus you have so many more side to use and these towels really pick up the spent wax.

I notice that once buffed off, a deep shine was achieved and the color just seemed to so much brighter. Most of the buffing was done by hand. I did try a couple of areas with the Flex machine. Either way was very easy. I do not know if it was just me but after all the tools and pads were put away and cleaned. I did a very gentle re-wipe and the paint looked to get even bright and shinier.

Below are photos of the end results. I was very happy how well it worked. I also tried it on my Torch Red Corvette. The red just popped, and very wet looking.

Thank you, Nick and Autogeek for another great product. Tom

Oh, looks like Ivan is all tuckered out

Last edited by Driwash; 04-07-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review of BlackFire “Black Ice”

Very nice write up and review.. That car looks great!!!
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Looks sweet! That color really stands out

Post Thanks / Like

Great review, nice job...looks like good stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

I see gloss and reflection showed up ... nice !

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

That paint looks great! Nice and slick! Great job
    Brandon Gardner
    President
    Superior Auto Detailing, LLC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorAutoLLC View Post
    That paint looks great! Nice and slick! Great job
    Thanks you, The Black Ice sure does bring out the depth, shine and color.

The wife was very happy and liked the way it brought out the metal flake. The Cruze is her DD.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Great job. Going to be trying out my tub very soon on my Vette!

Post Thanks / Like

Paint looks great, glad you loved the wax, and Ivan needs a nap!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Driwash

Applying with the Flex 3401 was a dream, the pad just fit into the tub of wax. Again just a little on the pad is all that is needed.

Keeping a thin layer of wax was effortless with the Flex. So, my preference was to apply by machine but that does not mean that applying by hand is out. As per the instructions, the wax was applied extremely thin and allowed to dry to a haze for about 10 minutes before being removed from each section.[/SIZE]

There you go...

I agree there's nothing wrong with applying a wax or sealant by hand but working by machine makes applying any wax or sealant faster and I think it does a better job.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast