autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Expensive waxes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Expensive waxes

I've been collecting stuff since a kid, some call me a hoarder.

Went from hotwheels to waxes. This month should be my last purchase. I've been saying this since September.

Some seem worth it, example is Vanilla Ice. Not only easy to use but good smell to it. Great gloss and durability.

My most expensive is Insignis V3.

Anybody has a pot of Blue Lagoon to sell?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I was thinking about Concorso, Desire, E-Zyme, Black Label, or another wax in the 2 to 3 bills category this summer. Also, I think the Zymol sampler #2 is hard to beat. For $199 you get 2oz each of Concours, Destiny, and Atlantique glazes. That seems like a nice way to try some fine waxes for a reasonable price.

Do have any opinions on any of these products or another recommendation?

Do you think Shield has a great look in its price range, or maybe Blau Weiss?

Post Thanks / Like
    What is Insignis? I was on SV USA webpage and didn't see it. Am I just missing it? Is it some type of limited production wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are comparing apples to oranges. You cant compare a high end, high carnuba content wax to TURTLE WAX.

Can a gloss meter detect a difference? Yeah, what about the HUMAN eye? Not so much. How long is this extra tad bit of gloss worth to you & your customer (if your in the business). I can assure you most average people cant tell any difference between a $50 dollar wax and 100+.

What makes the higher end wax product that much better? Higher carnuba content? Anything after 50% an you start falling under the law of diminishing retuns. If i can get a wax for $75 bucks that perfoms just as good as a wax for a couple grand, my customer cant tell the difference hey guess what.

1. I made a profit, I spent less on product and achieved the desired goal.

2. Customer is happy.

Unless your doing a showroom car for competition, that tad bit of extra gloss isnt going to matter squat. If it makes you "feel" better by spending hundreds of dollars for a wax, then that alone is justification enough for you to get it. You have to understand that your not the only one who will be looking at the car. The owner, the owners friends, random people. Will they be able to tell a difference? My money says NOPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Expensive waxes

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Beautiful! Well said! I don't get why there is a subsection of people convinced "all waxes are (almost) the same". I mean, they won't buy a polisher from Turtle Wax for $19.99, they will spend 3-4 hundred on a Flex, Rupes, etc.. It's like, you many not be able to immediately see the difference in the can, so all waxes MUST be all the same.

I just think it's really closed minded to think that way. Just to assume that because something cost more the manufacturer MUST just be duping you with fancy labels and jars. To think that there is NO WAY that something more expensive could have better ingredients, results, or technology associated with it. That, any manufacturer that claims better, purer, more costly ingredients or more carnuba HAS to be pulling the wool over your eyes. That there is just no way humanly possible to improve a $25 tub of wax with better/costlier manufacturing processes or ingredients. That no producer of wax has done ANY research or testing to see what LOOKS better on a surface, and there is no way there could be good, better, best.

That's just insane! I'm more from the school that says "you usually get what you pay for". It's not like microfiber towels, where you can sit the Costco towel next to the Cobra 600 gsm and IMMEDIATELY see a difference. And because the "difference" isn't so initially obvious, some people are convinced no difference could exist.

You can buy a pair of jeans at K-Mart for $12 or you can buy a pair of Diesel or True Religion jeans for $200. Now they are both pants and will cover up your junk, but the costlier ones are usually cut better and look better. That's why they command a premium price. AND with detailing we ARE talking primarily about LOOKS and AESTHETICS, you would think more people would realize a premium price will likely bring a better product.

Now, I know some waxes are insanely priced. I would LOVE to have Royale, Crytal Rox, Solaris, etc.. But spending thousands of dollars on a LSP is just not in my budget. However, I can't see spending working on a car (mine) for days of my valuable time and then being worried about a few hundred bucks when it comes to the last step product.

After actually using some mid priced waxes like Fuzion and Glasur I was so pleased with the results and the application it has convinced me to try some even costlier products. This is because of the positive difference I noticed.

I just think if its not in someone's interest or budget to try a costlier product that is one thing. But, to say all waxes are the same or expensive waxes are a rip off without even trying them, that's a whole other issue. I'm wondering how many doubters out there would balk if they were somehow offered a $25 jar of Concorso, because they can get a more durable product for $17.99. If there is no difference, why would it matter?

The Jeans [art of this all wrong. While there is a way to measure the quality of clothing.
    Good deal of the price pays for the fancy name. IE Designers, nothing to do with quality.

All I have to say about this stuff is that it would be a pleasure to do business with any one who buys off on your thinking. You really need to get out there is the business world. Hype is the word.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    I can assure you most average people cant tell any difference between a $50 dollar wax and 100+.
    The owner, the owners friends, random people. Will they be able to tell a difference? My money says NOPE.
    Most don't see swirls. So true, also car will get dusty pretty quick especially if it is a daily driver. Some bring up durability, not much point in this with most using toppers. I've seen Ultima Waterless on its own making a vehicle bead.

It is more of the feeling you get when opening up a nice wax to use. Mayb not logical but you see that in life with many things.

Super Member Caleb@ImpeccableImage's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    You guys are comparing apples to oranges. You cant compare a high end, high carnuba content wax to TURTLE WAX.

Can a gloss meter detect a difference? Yeah, what about the HUMAN eye? Not so much. How long is this extra tad bit of gloss worth to you & your customer (if your in the business). I can assure you most average people cant tell any difference between a $50 dollar wax and 100+.

What makes the higher end wax product that much better? Higher carnuba content? Anything after 50% an you start falling under the law of diminishing retuns. If i can get a wax for $75 bucks that perfoms just as good as a wax for a couple grand, my customer cant tell the difference hey guess what.

1. I made a profit, I spent less on product and achieved the desired goal.

2. Customer is happy.

Unless your doing a showroom car for competition, that tad bit of extra gloss isnt going to matter squat. If it makes you "feel" better by spending hundreds of dollars for a wax, then that alone is justification enough for you to get it. You have to understand that your not the only one who will be looking at the car. The owner, the owners friends, random people. Will they be able to tell a difference? My money says NOPE.
    If say you hit the nail on the head.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't notice a big gloss difference when using a boutique wax. The ease of use and enjoyment I get from spreading a nice wax is worth some extra cash IMO. Waxing vehicles is a form of relaxation for me. A nice floral or coconut scent in my petroleom distill helps also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slimnib View Post
    The Jeans [art of this all wrong. While there is a way to measure the quality of clothing.
    Good deal of the price pays for the fancy name. IE Designers, nothing to do with quality.
    "Quality" and aesthetics are two different things. Since we ARE talking about detailing, aesthetics & looks DO matter. They may not be the TOTAL picture, as durability may or may not play a role in one's decision.

I see it as the perfect comparison. While a $12 pair of K-Mart jeans may last as long or LONGER than a pair of Diesel or True Religion jeans, I think you would be hard presses to find someone who thinks they LOOK better.

If your whole concern in the previous example is durability, then we would all be wearing burlap sacks. Sometimes in life its just worth it to pay more for items that are more subjectively pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by slimnib View Post
    All I have to say about this stuff is that it would be a pleasure to do business with any one who buys off on your thinking. You really need to get out there is the business world. Hype is the word
    I don't automatically assume that a product always costs more because of "hype". Sometimes, you just get what you pay for. In a way I feel sort of bad for people that always purchase items based on practicality. It seems they just would be missing out on the pleasure of some nicer items.

As for "getting out in the business world" It would seem the business world is filled with people making a living off luxury and high dollar products. And the consumer world is also filled with people more than happy to pay for such items.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I was thinking about Concorso, Desire, E-Zyme, Black Label, or another wax in the 2 to 3 bills category this summer. Also, I think the Zymol sampler #2 is hard to beat. For $199 you get 2oz each of Concours, Destiny, and Atlantique glazes. That seems like a nice way to try some fine waxes for a reasonable price.

Do have any opinions on any of these products or another recommendation?

Do you think Shield has a great look in its price range, or maybe Blau Weiss?
    What is Insignis? I was on SV USA webpage and didn't see it. Am I just missing it? Is it some type of limited production wax?
    Well because I have had such great success with SV, I am a little more biased to them TBH. I really really want to try RG black label, but its not within my budget right now. The sample pack of zymols sound like a really good deal.

As far as SV waxes go. There lines of waxes for manufacturers and countries are really there so if you come in not knowing where to begin, you have a wax. Stuff like Blau Wiess, Reflexus, Zuffenhausen, Scuderia, Viking are all amazing waxes. SV looks at each companies CC past, present and future trends and makes a wax that will work best with there system. For that reason you may want to go with Blau Wiess on your BMW. Personally I like Shield because it repels as good as Crystal, but its a fraction of the cost. It looks fairly similar to Mirage.

If you want to do better go with Concorso. It has a higher nuba value; thus making it more glossy, would look excellent on black!! Honestly if I were you, that's probably what I would do. I dont like products that last too long.

Yes, to my understanding and knowledge, Insignis is no longer made.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast