autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Compound/Glaze/Polish Shootout

Let me start by saying this was a great review. You took your time to document all aspects of the test which is critical to understanding the final data.
    It may be in the video but I didn’t catch the year, make, model and color of the car. This helps when we do a search on forum threads for information on a project that we may be working on. Mike may have a form for doing product test reviews but I haven’t seen it yet. I have not created one myself only because I don’t do enough corrections and have enough products to test.
    My day job (Project Engineer for CNC Machining) requires me to do testing on a daily bases. Every part I look at is different in geometry, tolerance and material. I must then decide on the appropriate machine tool, work holding, cutting tool, tool path, feeds and speeds. In most cases I can rely on my experience to at least get the job going and then refine the process as I go but there are those that require extensive research just to get an understanding of what I dealing with. Machining 440A stainless steel is very different than machining 6061 T6 aluminum. Way, Way, Way different.
    I said all that to say this, those of us that want to understand how to achieve the best possible finish on our projects must first understand what we are working with. I have found that each automotive manufacture uses a very different paint process and products. They even very the products and processes from model to model. The paint on the metal is different than the paint on the plastic and any more variables that I don’t even know at this time. What works well on your BMW produced in Germany may not work well on mine that was produced in Spartanburg SC because they use a totally different process and product. (Not a fact, just an example.) Maybe our reviews should focus more on the paint system used and what products and technology work best on them. For this we would need a lot better cooperation from the automotive and paint industry.
    I have started to do more research on automotive manufactures and their paint systems to get a better understanding of how to get started on a simple correction. This is not an easy task. It’s almost like they don’t know there are folks like us out here that give a darn about the paint and appearance of our daily drivers. They will let you know in a heartbeat what oils to use in you automobile but when you ask what abrasive technology to use on your paint they look at you like you just stepped out of a space ship. I have spent as much as 3 hours doing test spots with different machines, machine speeds, pads, products, amount of product, arm speed and all the other things I could think of. This is very time consuming and at times frustrating. Relying on experience will only get us so far. In the metal machining world, technology of part material, cutting tools and geometry change every day and I see the same thing in the automotive detailing world. Microfiber DA pads have only been out for a short time and Meguiars M101 just hit the shelf. I see different machines with different types of rotation and amount of through in its orbit. The list goes on and on. The automotive industry is great at selling us on the drive train system and the motor heads out there can tell us every engine and transmission GM ever produced and what vehicle and year it was used in but if we ask about the paint, well, you get the point.
    I understand that 85% of the people out there don’t see what we see or they don’t even care until it comes time to sell, trade or just plain have their eyes opened. For those of us that do have our eyes open, all of this information would be greatly appreciated. Mike Phillips, the Auto Geek support team and the members of this forum do a tremendous job and service to our community and our passion. You sir are contributing in great fashion and I applaud your work.
    WOW what a rant that was. I feel like Tom Cruise in “Jerry Meguire” “It was just a mission statement!”

Craig
    It's all in the details.

Post Thanks / Like

Great reviews! Thanks for doing this. Gives me some info I can use right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a bunch guys! I tried to emulate some of the other reviews I have seen here. The car was a dark blue 2013(?) Chrysler 200. It was a rental for the weekend. I think they was it with a Scotch-Brite!
    - Mike
    Wax On!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, just went through the compounds part of your review and gotta say what an amazing job! This has got to be one the best first reviews I have ever seen! In fact, you probably don't know who he is as he is hardly on AG anymore, but a user named CEEDOG had reviews that were very much like yours.... and most people would agree that his reviews were the best anyone could read. Period. Great job!

I find with Megs stuff, unlike most other polishes/compounds, it doesn't liked to be "worked" in. In your post, you said it was 4 heavy passes and 4 light passes, so 8 total passes in all. Next time you try it, I would try one place with 2 heavy passes and 2 light passes, and one place with 3 heavy passes and 3 light passes. You might find one of those to work out better
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    Mike, just went through the compounds part of your review and gotta say what an amazing job! This has got to be one the best first reviews I have ever seen! In fact, you probably don't know who he is as he is hardly on AG anymore, but a user named CEEDOG had reviews that were very much like yours.... and most people would agree that his reviews were the best anyone could read. Period. Great job!

I find with Megs stuff, unlike most other polishes/compounds, it doesn't liked to be "worked" in. In your post, you said it was 4 heavy passes and 4 light passes, so 8 total passes in all. Next time you try it, I would try one place with 2 heavy passes and 2 light passes, and one place with 3 heavy passes and 3 light passes. You might find one of those to work out better
    Thank you! Coming from the infamous "ihaveacamaro" that is quite a compliment. I am familiar with CEEDOG and love his reviews. Maybe he'll chime in too! Let me know how the NOVA thing turns out!
    - Mike
    Wax On!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
    Thank you! Coming from the infamous "ihaveacamaro" that is quite a compliment. I am familiar with CEEDOG and love his reviews. Maybe he'll chime in too! Let me know how the NOVA thing turns out!
    - Mike
    You got the detailing bug, and now just wait, you're starting to get the review bug too! I honestly think half of my anticipation for a product being shipped is so I can do some kind of test or review on it lol

Ah, well my mistake, glad you are familiar with CEEDOG's reviews, they are amazing. I can honestly say this review is as good as one of his!

I will let you know about Nova, I felt pretty good coming out of there, but I can only hope everything works out now

Btw, my dad's Benz is in for repair, and he got a rental Benz. The paint condition was absolutely horrible! Man, these rental cars are totally swirled out messes!
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Incredibly well written review with detailed pictures and documentation of your work and findings. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it over my morning cup of coffee.

-Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Mike,

Incredibly well written review with detailed pictures and documentation of your work and findings. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it over my morning cup of coffee.

-Mike
    Glad I could help you enjoy the coffee! Isn't that morning cup the best?!
    - Mike
    Wax On!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c5errr View Post
    i have used a sample size of wolfgang finishing glaze
    and let me tell ya it removed a deep scratch

and for meguiars UC its a great product but it doesnt provide as much correction for ceramic paints as menzerna or blackfire
    Yes, I was really impressed with the WG products as I had never used them before.
    Wax On!

Post Thanks / Like

What a great read! Thanks for the effort! I have some experience with a couple of the products tested. The Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is my go to polish for my truck and it's super soft paint. I may be wrong but I believe it is more of a polish than a glaze. AG says it has no "fillers" but it abviously has some oils so IDK. All I know is it creates impressive clarity and gloss on the few paint systems that I have experience with. Keep the reviews coming!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast