autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Meguair's Headlight Kit - Unigrit Discs

Today I got to try out my new Meguiars Headlight & Spot Repair Kit paired with my GG 3" DA polisher on some yellowed Lexus RX300 headlights.

Meguiars Professional Headlight & Spot Repair Kit, headlight lens restorer, auto headlight repair, plastic headlight restorer, paint spot repair

I have completed countless headlight restorations in the past by hand and I can say with no reservations that the unigrit discs are worth every penny. They sand evenly, quickly and with very little effort.

Before you begin sanding, make sure you tape off the paint and surrounding trim to protect it from the sandpaper and buffer. Here are the headlights before restoration and after being taped. The kit comes with brown tape, but I had some blue painters tape lying around, so I used that rather than opening the new package.

Step 1: Meguair's suggests drysanding with 500 grit. The kit comes with a unigrit pad that you attach to your DA backing plate. The sanding discs attach to this pad which provides some cushion and allows you to get around edges a lot easier.

Here is the passenger headlight after 500 grit.

Step 2: Drysand with 800 grit.

Step 3: Wetsand with 1000 grit.

You can see the lenses are starting to clear up with each step. Here is the passenger lense after 1000 grit.

Step 4: Wetsand with 3000 grit.

Step 5: Compound using the included wool pad and M105, both included in the kit. Remember to remove the unigrit pad (pictured top left corner) before attaching any compounding or polishing pads.

Here is the passenger headlight after M105

Step 6: Polish with the included M105 and yellow foam polishing pad.

As you can see the lense is now free from defect and can be considered "restored." However, here is where I believe Meguair's missed the mark. If you stop at this point, the headlight will probably yellow again in a matter of months, especially in the southern California sun. The lenses need to now be sealed.

I have adopted the Spar Urethane method as described in countless posts on AG and have had great success with it. I wanted to test out Meguair's method as well as see how the headlights looked after stopping at 3000 grit and skipping the compounding and polishing because the Spar will fill in the scratches (I believe up to 1500 grit), so anything beyond that makes it harder to apply without streaks and is unnecessary. So I stopped after 3000 grit on the driver's side in order to do a side-by-side comparison.

I always remove the tape before applying the sealant so that I don't accidentally drag the tape on the headlight while the sealant is wet and have to start over. As others have said, if you make a mistake, you have about 10 minutes to easily remove the sealant with mineral spirits and start over without having to sand again.

Here is an image of the passenger side headlight that included 500, 800, 1000, 3000, M105, M205 & Spar Urethane

And here is the driver's side headlight that included 500, 800, 1000, 3000 & Spar Urethane

As you can see, both sides look great and we couldn't really tell a difference between the 2 during our inspection. I expected this to be the case before I started, but wanted to give the Meguair's instructions a chance and give a full review.

Final thoughts: If you are doing spot repair and restoring headlights regularly, the unigrit discs are great and are much cheaper to purchase as a kit rather than individually. It will save you lots of time and effort vs sanding manually. The added bonus is the Meguair's bag appears to be top-notch and has ample storage space for me to add the GG 3" buffer, the Scott towels, mixing cups, spoons, additional 3" pads and lots of small bottles of solution. The bag looks great and will impress when you pull it out during mobile jobs. I'm extremely happy with my purchase and would recommend without reservations...just remember to seal those headlights after you are finished sanding and polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguair's Headlight Kit - Unigrit Discs

Those lights look great. I had been sanding by hand too and just last week, broke down and got the GG 3" buffer and Unigrit sandpaper. Your right, it makes all the difference in the world. It's almost like cheating.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M27GwlBfEXA&feature=plcp]2006 Nissan Headlight Restoration - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

To see the full clarity with the Megs kit I believe you would have seen better results using a forced rotation tool with the 105/205 steps.

With that said, I do exactly what you did on the drivers side.

Looks good.

Post Thanks / Like

The headlights seemed to be in okay condition to begin with. Do you think m105 alone could have restored them if worked long enough? Or at the very least starting at 3000 grit and wet sanding

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vman View Post
    The headlights seemed to be in okay condition to begin with. Do you think m105 alone could have restored them if worked long enough? Or at the very least starting at 3000 grit and wet sanding
    These were in worse shape than the initial pictures actually showed. I would guess that I probably could've started at 800 or even 1000 at least for the driver's side, but was anxious to try out the unigrit discs and see how easily they corrected at each grit level.

I offer 2 levels of headlight care at my shop.

Headlight Polish - M105 & M205 - no guarantee

Headlight Restoration - Sandpaper & Spar Urethane - 1 year guarantee

I don't feel like I can ever get 100% clarity without using at least 3000 grit before the M105, but it all depends on the manufacturer and the hardness of their factory UV sealant. For most daily drivers a quick polish and polymer sealant is a vast improvement though.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job on the headlights. I would expect 8-12 months with the spar and 2-3 months with the polish.
    ray6

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Reviving an older thread here but would a GG 6" DA polisher w/ 3" pad be fine for the grit discs? Or do they have too much power for this even on the lowest setting?

Post Thanks / Like

How long does this method last?

Post Thanks / Like

very nice job, good to see the GG3 get some love...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write-up but I don't think the 500 & 800 3 inch Unigrit Discs are available anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast