autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang DGPS 3.0 - Winter Test

Wow. Incredible durability through all that mess.

Post Thanks / Like

What an awesome thread...Your truck still looks fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a question for you, Chris. In reading through this thread, I see where you've washed your vehicle several times at an automatic touchless carwash.

I'm assuming this car wash sprays soap onto your car and then rinses it off with high-pressure, is that correct? I am new to these forums and everything I've read says that these carwashes should not be used as they will strip off your LSP.

So your vehicle is still protected, even though you've been through the car wash several times?

Thanks.

By the way, do you go to Michigan Tech? I was in Houghton on January 11, the day before you guys got all that snow. I was up there with my son's high school hockey team and posted a few photos I shot onto the photos thread. Houghton Is about 250 miles north of where I live, and I'd forgotten what a quaint, gorgeous little town it really is.

Best,

Steve

Steve
    2014 Audi Q5 3.0T
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
    I'm never going north.. Lol nice updates!
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
    VA is as far north as I ever want to be. Great thread OP!
    Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Wow. Incredible durability through all that mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickZ28 View Post
    What an awesome thread...Your truck still looks fantastic!
    Thanks guys.

Like I said, it should be interesting to see how it does after this week. It's suppose to warm back up this coming weekend, enough that I can take it to the car wash. I'll be sure to get a beading/sheeting video then.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953hogan View Post
    I've got a question for you, Chris. In reading through this thread, I see where you've washed your vehicle several times at an automatic touchless carwash.

I'm assuming this car wash sprays soap onto your car and then rinses it off with high-pressure, is that correct? I am new to these forums and everything I've read says that these carwashes should not be used as they will strip off your LSP.

So your vehicle is still protected, even though you've been through the car wash several times?

Thanks.

By the way, do you go to Michigan Tech? I was in Houghton on January 11, the day before you guys got all that snow. I was up there with my son's high school hockey team and posted a few photos I shot onto the photos thread. Houghton Is about 250 miles north of where I live, and I'd forgotten what a quaint, gorgeous little town it really is.

Best,

Steve
    Steve,

That is correct, the car wash sprays soap, lets it soak, and then uses a high pressure rinse along with a spot free rinse, and then blow dry. I know everyone says the chemicals they use will easily strip your LSP, but I have yet to see the car washes I go to dramatically diminish my LSP's. I'd rather use the car wash then leave all that winter crud on the paint.

And yes, I do go to Tech. It's definitely a nice little town, but the winters can be harsh.
    2011 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L -- My Flickr Page

Post Thanks / Like

Impressed, I noticed when I just placed an order I could add a sample, so added WG DGPS 3 to try, should look awesome on black flake paint.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATES

January 27, 2013

Went to the DIY car wash to do a rinse. Again, that's just a rinse.

Before

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_3Xjkqrw-o]Sheeting/Beading Before Rinse - YouTube[/video]

After

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp4ZoddYB4o]Sheeting/Beading After Rinse - YouTube[/video]

February 1, 2013

Just a picture of how it looks from driving around the past couple days. If you look close, you can see its dirty.

February 6, 2013

On my way back home to Chicago so I can go to the auto show. You gotta love salt, eh?

Rained that night I got home and drove around in the rain a little the next day, most of it washed off. Since I would just be driving back north again in a couple days, I decided to hold off on a wash.

February 13, 2013

Washed at the automatic touchless car wash. Again, look close and you'll see the dirt on the paint.

Before

After

Beading during the wash on the hood, and then some frozen beads.

February 19-23, 2013

Let it snow, let it snow!

Blizzard warning for two days and a resulting 20 inches of snow. Probably would have been more if it wasn't for the wind. After this storm our total on the ground was 41 inches and season total a little over 150 inches of snow.

Out taking some pics.

February 26, 2013

Going to the DIY car wash to do a rinse, again just a rinse. Paint is pretty dirty/crusty.

Before

After

So, we're going on a little over 6 months now since I applied the two coats of WGDGPS. A total of a little over 6,000 miles of driving and the truck is outside 24/7.

One thing that I don't I have mentioned before about this sealant is how it makes the paint look clean even when its dirty. This is evident in quite a few of the pictures. Of course distance, lighting, and viewing angle play a role in that.

In that last set of pictures, you'll notice the sides of the truck are pretty much gone beading wise. Keep in mind that was just a rinse and after each of these washes there is still a fine layer of dirt on the paint. I'll see how the sides look after ONR wash when I head back home for spring break next week. I may end the test there depending on the weather, because it its nice enough I will be applying a spray sealant on the paint. I'm dying to try my bottle of Gtechniq C1.5 Silo Seal.

So, stay tuned and thanks for looking.

Post Thanks / Like

what a testament to a great product...i get over 6 months of properly prepped and applied WGDGPS...great review man!
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by primo spaghetti View Post
    what a testament to a great product...i get over 6 months of properly prepped and applied WGDGPS...great review man!
    Thanks man and yep, its a great product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by primo spaghetti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris's FX4 View Post
    Thanks man and yep, its a great product.

One of the best sealants there is!!
    Thanks again, Chris, for your time and efforts in producing an excellent review...BUT:

I would have never dreamed in a million years you would have used a foam-cannon on the engine bay!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris's FX4 View Post

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Thanks again, Chris, for your time and efforts in producing an excellent review...BUT:

I would have never dreamed in a million years you would have used a foam-cannon on the engine bay!!

Bob
    Haha, I really wish it had been a foam cannon Bob. My alternator and throttle were frozen over from that snow getting in there.

Thanks Bob.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast