autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: G Techniq L1

So, I bought some G Techniq L1 from overseas, as I couldn't find anyone selling it here in the USA. It comes in a small bottle for around $10.00 US. It's a leather sealant/coating somewhat similar to Ultima Interior Guard Plus. I've used UIG+ and thought it was just OK. I really didn't like it too much as it didn't seem to do much to the appearance after application. Because it didn't do much, it's hard to tell how long it last.

So, I wanted something that would protect leather and last a couple months, that's why I decided to try L1. Also, I didn't like applying UIG+ as it seems oily during application and this white gook (the sealant) builds up in the applicator. This was my first experience with any G Techniq product.

The tester is my 08 BMW M Roadster with the M Vader seats in Nappa Black Leather. I will only be doing the passenger seat at this time, as I'm waiting for a leather touch up kit from the UK to touch up the drivers side bolster on the driver's seat.

First I cleaned the seat with Lexol Leather Cleaner. Half way through it I realized this product has glycerin in it and since I wanted the seat to be free of everything I would need to clean again with something else. I decided to follow that with Leather Master's Soft Cleaner.

LM Soft Cleaner is a quality leather cleaner that leaves the leather clean and matte. This was my first time using LM's SC so I'm sort of reviewing that to. From now on, SC will be my product of choice as I liked it a lot as a leather cleaner. On benefit is, it foams up white nicely, so you can see if there is any dirt in the foamy cleaner. Its not slimey or soapy. It wipes right off taking any dirt with it.

The seats really weren't dirty, as I keep them pretty clean. I decided I would use a Griots blue sponge applicator to clean the seats with this product, proceeding all the cleaning with a pass of the vacuum. I scrubbed with the foam and the Soft Cleaner than wiped the seat with a MF cloth. The cloth showed no dirt and the Soft Cleaner foams up in the sponge. SC is a real nice leather cleaner. Pouring it onto the sponge it seems like water. But when you squeeze the sponge and agitate the leather it foams up. This is how LMs tell you to use the product.

After all this I wiped the seat down again with Megs APC+ 10:1. Then I re-wiped 2x more with clean MF towels and distilled water to remove any residue that may have been left by the cleaning. The goal of the cleaning wasn't to remove dirt, but to remove what was left on the seat of previous applied conventional dressings.

Clean seat ready for L1

The car is a convertible and I decided to apply the L1 with the roof down for easier access. After reading a previous reviewer who did it that way and got some steaks, I decided to apply it with a blue Griots sponge.

I started by priming the sponge with a few sprays of product. The product is more watery and less oily than UIG+. Its white, but spreads clear it has little if any smell. UIG+ also gets gooky in the pad (especially if you squeeze it) and slimy on your hands. This is not Slimey at all. The directions tell you to spray it on the leather and remove extra with a paper towel. The sprayer is such that the product needs to be spread out though, that's where the sponge came in. You basically spray it on a leather panel to cover half of it and spread it with the sponge. It dries in a few minutes and there where no streaks. I noticed if it wasn't spread evenly you could get some white marks where it was heavy. Basically, I kept lightly spreading it until it dried, which took less than a minute. I was working in the heat and it was drying so quick that doing a leather panel at a time apposed to the whole seat is all that was practical. I put on about 3 thin coats.

Done

Also, I had a piece of test leather handy I obtained to practice leather touch up on. That's if my kit ever comes to fix the wear on the driver's seat side bolster. This kit was purchased about 2 weeks ago from an overseas company, I haven't received it, and I am getting no response from the seller. Anyway, I prepped the test leather the same way. I decided to do half of it with L1 and leave half clean. I did it in the house to get a better look at what L1 does.

Test leather cleaned

L1applied to left half (still wet)

Close up of test leather with tape removed. You can see the L1 side is much darker and richer looking

Later after it sat a few hours, I ran the test leather under hot water to see if L1 was affected. The water seemed to have no affect on the coating making the leather sealed. This is what I was looking for in a product. Something that could create a physical barrier on the leather and last a while.

I keep comparing this to UIG+ because it's the closest product to this for leather I've ever used. In my opinion, for leather at least, L1 is a better product. The application is easier and the surface looks nicer. How long it lasts I don't know. It will be pretty hard to tell when the product is gone, as it doesn't seem to noticeably change the texture or feeling of the leather. It does darken it. I think G Techniq recommends applying it quarterly, so I'll go with that.

If you understand the idea that most modern car leather is coated and you are really only treating the coating, not the leather, this type of product seems like a much better idea compared to leather conditioners. I did a little bit of research on modern auto leather and it seems the majority of experts out there believe today's modern automobile leathers don't lose much moisture and don't need moisture replaced. Also, little if any moisture gets through an intact leather coating. So to me, this makes conditioning leather only useful for cosmetic purposes. The most important thing to do with leather seems to be to keep it clean, as dirt builds up on the surface and wears the factory coating. I'm not sure why so many respected companies are selling leather conditioners, but there is always an expert out there who seems to think they are somehow necessary. I'm thinking most of them just clean and dress the leather.

Another thing is, after I was done, I went to clean the blue Griot's sponge I applied the L1 with. I rinsed it with very hot water, sprayed the sponge with orange degreaser/cleaner, and them worked it in. The sponge came clean, however, on the face of it, you can still see parts where the sponge would not give up the coating. This says to me this product is pretty tough and likely long lasting.

This is what I cleaned it with. Pretty hardcore

This is the cleaned sponge. Notice the white looking stuff on the face of it. Its not like the sponge is stained, its like the coating sticking to the sponge. That's L1 and it will not come off of the sponge. To me that's a good thing, meaning it will not easily come off my seat.

The only real question is, when will AG start stocking L1, as the bottle is small and overseas shipping is expensive. Or, if someone reads this from GT, please feel free to send me cases of L1 and EXO (-:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: G Techniq L1

sounds like a promising opportunity ...

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice write up. Did you notice any issues on the seat threading with the L1 product?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wors View Post
    Very nice write up. Did you notice any issues on the seat threading with the L1 product?
    What type of issues? The seat is black and the threads are black, so it would be hard to notice anything. However, I can't see this product causing any problem. It dries clear as long as its spread thin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    sounds like a promising opportunity ...
    Any chance of AG carrying this anytime soon?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    What type of issues? The seat is black and the threads are black, so it would be hard to notice anything. However, I can't see this product causing any problem. It dries clear as long as its spread thin.
    Just didn't know if there was any build up or issues you noticed.

Post Thanks / Like

great review. will you update with longevity updates?
    Trent
    PRD

Post Thanks / Like
    PakShak sells L1 and a few other things AG doesn't have. Once AG has these products i'll order from them.

Transmitted from my WiFi-enabled telegraph.

Owner of Dream Detail LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an update on L1.. Today I did the drivers seat, steering wheel, and shifter using L1. Sitting on the treated seat, friction seems to be greatly reduced. Anyone who uses Leather Masters Vital knows this feeling. I'm pretty happy with L1.

Post Thanks / Like

Any updates for the durability/performance of the L1?
    Wax On!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast