autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried the Optimum MF cutting discs on a traditional DA today...

Two words, get 'em! I had only really tried them with the 3401 thus far. They worked decent, better than Meg's MF cutting discs. However, I don't think ANY MF pad works well with the 3401(I've said this 100 times). Anyhow, the Optimum pads are very pliable, the adjust to the curve of the panels. They're also a hell of a lot more durable than the Meg's MF pads thus far. The Meg's pad perform very well, too, but they delaminate and the foam disintegrates very easily. I was working on my silver 370z, so it was hard to tell how the Optimum cutting discs finished, but they cut very well with M101. I did a second step with a B&S green polishing pad/M205, and they finish looked great! I'm excited to use the Optimum MF cutting discs on a dark color. So far, so good!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tried the Optimum MF cutting discs on a traditional DA today...

Thanks Mark, I'm glad you like em. I have to finish with foam on some paint, but in general they finish very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mark, I'll be using my Optimum compound MF pads along with XMT #4 on my buddy's Mom's 7 year old, never wheeled and neglected Dodge Magnum, metallic black tomorrow. I have both a 3.25 and 6.25 and both will be getting a workout tomorrow, along with me too (supposed to be in the upper 80's, will be starting early in the morning!) I also have an Optimum polishing MF pad too, forgot which size but had a pair and ripped one and ruined, stupid me. I hope my combo works wonders on this car, its really, really in bad shape!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I have had both Megs and Optimum MF separate from the foam backing pad on me. The Optimum did it in less then a whole panel. Sent it back and still waiting to here back from Optimum if I am going to get a replacement. The Megs lasted half a car before the middle started to come apart. I wonder if Megs will warranty it. But yes, anything other then a slight correction, I am no longer using any kind of foam pad. MF or Surbufs are the only way to go on DAs. Only time I am going to pull out the rotary is for cutting with wool or jeweling.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Optimum MF pads!! The compounding pad with M105 works wonders. I have been having problems with the polishing pads being crabby at any speed. I tried a little bit of detail spray with 3 pea sized dots of polish, lots of detail spray a little polish, and just polish itself. I am using DAT polishes so i am wondering if that makes a difference. I'm still playing with around with them but overall I'm very pleased.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    Thanks Mark, I'm glad you like em. I have to finish with foam on some paint, but in general they finish very well.
    Chris,

What do you use to clean your MF pads?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

hey mark, gratz on the new car, looks fantastic

just curious since it was a previously owned car, arn't you afraid of removing too much clear with a mf+m101? since also you don't know if the previous owner did compounding etc? or can you compound regularly 2-3 times a year without worry? (by 'you', I mean anyone in general)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rock012345 View Post
    hey mark, gratz on the new car, looks fantastic

just curious since it was a previously owned car, arn't you afraid of removing too much clear with a mf+m101? since also you don't know if the previous owner did compounding etc? or can you compound regularly 2-3 times a year without worry? (by 'you', I mean anyone in general)
    Thank you!!

Chances are much greater the previous owner didn't touch the car. We're in the 1% as far as people who do anything more than wax heir car. However, the dealership left rotary buffer swirls all over the car when I bought it. In order to remove all the defects and get it right the first time, I went with MF/M101. I'm not worried at all that I removed too much clear. If I used this combo every month, that would be a problem. I will keep the paint in good shape, so hopefully 6 months down the road, I won't have to use a compound.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZEE BEST View Post
    Two words, get 'em! I had only really tried them with the 3401 thus far. They worked decent, better than Meg's MF cutting discs. However, I don't think ANY MF pad works well with the 3401(I've said this 100 times). Anyhow, the Optimum pads are very pliable, the adjust to the curve of the panels. They're also a hell of a lot more durable than the Meg's MF pads thus far. The Meg's pad perform very well, too, but they delaminate and the foam disintegrates very easily. I was working on my silver 370z, so it was hard to tell how the Optimum cutting discs finished, but they cut very well with M101. I did a second step with a B&S green polishing pad/M205, and they finish looked great! I'm excited to use the Optimum MF cutting discs on a dark color. So far, so good!
    Mark, my only experience with my 3401 AND THE oPTI mf was amazing. I removed 14 years of water etching with Hyper Compound. I used a 6.25" on the new LC BP. It finished well as was but Opti Polish II on a black pad took it home.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZEE BEST View Post
    Chris,

What do you use to clean your MF pads?
    I brush them out then just toss them into the washing machine on warm/warm with laundry detergent Don't use APC or snappy clean as they can deteriorate the adhesives. The MF material cleans easier than foam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast