autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Product Review: CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection

Original Post: Product Review: CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection - 06-30-2011, 08:15 PM on AutopiaForums
    Link: Product Review: CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

Product Review: CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection

Manufacturers Description:
    CQuartz by CarPro is an anti-static, weather-resistant nano coating that shines and protects your vehicle like nothing else! CQuartz works on the molecular level to transform the surface. Once treated with CQuartz, your vehicle will repel water and contaminants, and it will maintain a clear, reflective, hard-as-nails shine. One application can last two years!
    If you're tired of frequent waxing, listen to this: CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection creates an ultra durable surface that minimizes paint maintenance for up to two years. A CQuartz-treated vehicle stay cleaner longer, require less frequent polishing, and require no additional paint protection!

CQuartz provides:
    Ultra hard coating. CQuartz contains ceramic nano particles, which create an extremely hard finish that is scratch-resistant and durable. The average thickness of CQuartz layer is between 0.7 µm ~1.5 µm.
    Weather-resistance. CQuartz provides durable protection against rain, sun, salt, and anything else Mother Nature throws at it. The anti-corrosive coating holds up in all weather conditions.
    High gloss shine. CQuartz contains nano fiber glass, resulting in a deep, reflective shine.
    Water and oil proof finish. CQuartz provides incomparably strong water and oil repellency. This hydrophobic effect prevents water spots and oily stains from attaching to the paintwork.
    Smooth, dirt repellent surface. CQuartz's nano particles fill in tiny swirls and imperfections in the paint to make it perfectly smooth. Therefore, dirt and dirty water cannot settle into any crevices. The finish is also resistant to bugs, UV rays, acids, and salts. Plus, the slick surface is anti-static and washes off easily.
    Anti Calcium Effect. CQuartz prevents mineral deposits from bonding to the vehicle's surface so water spots can be wiped off.
    Detergent-resistant protection. CQuartz cannot be removed by water, alkaline or other detergents, or by pressure washers. It lasts up to two years!
    Self-cleaning effect. Most dirt and debris will not stick in the first place so you may find yourself washing your vehicle much less often.
    CQuartz can be applied to virtually any surface: glass, wheels, plastics, leather, and rubber.

Manufacturers Claimed Features:
    • Anti scratch improved by 50%
    • Fire and flame retardant ! (See video demo)
    • Antioxidant
    • Insulation property
    • Anti static
    • Anti acids and salts
    • Excellent high gloss effect - mirror finish.
    • Hydrophobic Water-repelling
    • Anti Calcium effect
    • Dirt-deflecting
    • Easy to clean/self cleaning effect
    • Weather protection
    • UV - weather-resistant
    • Insects and flies repellent
    • Anti corrosion
    • No more waxing!
    • Preserve car value condition

Product Observations:
    1. Manufacturer: CarPro
    2. Made in: Japan
    3. Packaging: Blue Glass Bottle in a Silver Zip-lock Pouch
    3. Color: Clear – Slightly Off White
    4. Scent: Chemical (You don’t want to be sniffing this stuff)
    5. Consistency: Watery
    9. Price:
    A. 30ml = $49.99
    B. 30ml Kit = $59.99
    C. 50ml Kit = $79.99

Manufacturers Application Directions:
    1. Shake well. Pour a few drops of CQuartz on a microfiber applicator pad.
    2. Apply CQuartz in straight lines, criss-crossing each car panel.
    3. Wait 20-30 min. average. At 20-30° C. (68-86° F), wait 10-15 min. At 10~20° C (50-67° F), wait 20~40 min. Then wipe off gently with soft microfiber towel with short looped fibers. Avoid re-using the wipe off microfiber towels because they will harden and crystallize.
    4. Let dry for 1hour at 25° C (77° F) or 3 hours at 15° C (59° F).
    5. Avoid washing the vehicle with any soap for 7 days. It can be rinsed with water.
    6. You have the option of accelerating the cure time by using IR lights.
    7. Working temperature: 10- 30° C (50-86°F).
    8. During the first 10 minutes, apply CQuartz to any spots that were missed. After 10 minutes, do not try to re-fill missing spots; it will stain the paint.

Round One:
    For my first introduction and experience with CQuartz I decided to apply it to the wheels on my test subject. The test vehicle in this case is my wife VW Jetta. I thought the wheels would be good initial test due to the amount of brake dust the wheels create. Also I figured the wheel barrels would be a forgiving area to begin and perfect my application.

First the State of the wheels after a little over a week or driving before application.

Wheels were cleaned up with a Mixture of APC and Dawn. They were then sprayed down with IronX and clayed as needed. Here are some of the typical IronX photos.

Wheel after wash and dry.

Wheels were then wiped down with a 9:1 IPA/Dawn mixture as directed by CarPro.

For my initial application I chose to use a cotton make-up applicator pad as others have said the work very well. I also wanted to be able to work into all of the nooks and crannies of the wheel.

These pictures don’t show the much in the way of final glossy pics but here they are.

Here is the amount of CQuartz I used to put 2 coats on the wheels.

Here is one of the wheels after a week+ of driving. I was waiting the recommended 1 week before washing with soap.

And now the beading after the wash. I only used regular Megs Shampoo+ and water.

Initial Thoughts and Observations:

• The application of CQuartz is very easy.
    • The temperature was in the mid 80’s for this application and I found the CQuartz to flash off fairly quickly.
    • The finish it left was not a slick as I anticipated.
    • After topping the wheels with Reload the slickness was really amped up.
    • I didn’t notice and paint darkening. CQuartz simply enhanced the finish.
    • The ability for CQuartz to release dirt and water was very evident.
    • CQuartz made the washing of the wheels much easier and quicker.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Review: CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection

Original Post: Product Review: CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection - 06-30-2011, 08:15 PM on AutopiaForums
    Link: Product Review: CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

Round Two:
    One week after I had done the wheels I began the process of doing the paint. I was lucky in that for round 2 I had nearly a whole week to polish out the paint and apply the CQuartz. This allowed me to compound and polish in the evenings after work without being rushed.

I started with the Standard Decon wash.

This was followed up by a liberal spray down with IronX. I found it hard to get a good picture on IronX on the paint. Honestly at first I thought it wasn’t working very well but then started to notice the accumulation on the floor.

I followed this with Clay Magic Blue and a little Red on some over spray on a rear quarter panel. After IronX the clay stayed very clean compared to normal,

Here is a quick pic of the amount of IronX used in total on the wheels and paint.

Here are some Pre-Correction pictures. Overall the car is in good condition just some minor wash induced swirls and marring.

For the polishing I choose to do full 3 step because I had the time. All correction was carried out using my PCxp.
    Step 1: M105 on LC Cyan and Orange Flat Pads
    Step 2: M205 on LC Tang and White Flat Pads
    Step 3: Menz PO85rd on a LC Crimson Pads

Polishing was followed by a final wash and dry using a blower.

A few Pre-LSP pictures. Overall I am pleased with how the polishing process came out using my PCxp on this hard VW paint.

The entire car was then wiped down with a 9:1 IPA/Dawn mixture as directed by CarPro same as the wheels. I was then ready for the CQuartz application.

For the application to the paint I choose to use the Suede Microfiber wrapped around the supplied foam block. This worked very well and the suede MF wasted very little of the product IMO. I went ahead and applied a full 2 coats to all of the paint and black plastic trim. I choose not to apply any CQuartz to the glass as my wife asked me not to and I actually prefer them clean or with RainX.

Here is what is left after the entire application process. It may be a little hard to see but the level is at the top of the “C”.

And now for the Finished Pictures.

Thoughts and Observations:

• The application of CQuartz is very easy when using the suede MF on the foam block.
    • The temperature was in the upper 80’s for this application and I found the CQuartz to flash off quickly. If possible I would want to try and keep the ambient temperature more around 70 – 72 degrees if possible. But I had no problem in my application.
    • The finish it left was not a slick as say Power Lock to me. After topping the wheels with Reload the slickness was really amped up and more acceptable to me. I don’t like the paint to feel grabby.
    • On the Platinum Gray Metallic paint the CQuartz had a slight darkening effect in my eyes and left a nice bright if not slightly wet look.
    • The CQ has been on the vehicle for about 2 weeks now. It has shown the ability to release dirt and water was very well. It was so cool to watch we played with the hose on the car for about 15 minutes after the 1st week.

Any comments and questions are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Post Thanks / Like

**10 Month Update**

It has been 10 months and I think it is time for an update.

A Little Review:
    - I applied 2 coats to all the paint and the wheels.
    - I have used Reload to top it up periodically.
    - I have used multiple soaps for washes just testing out the reactions.
    - I have been using a dedicated CarPro wool wash mitt to wash with.
    - I have used both WW Towels and a Master Blaster to dry the vehicle off.

The car had not been washed in a little over 2 weeks... So the amount of bugs and grime on it were considerable as you will be able to see in the pictures.

Some of the Dirty Pics to see the true condition.

For the wash I used the B2M, Megs Hyper wash, and my CarPro wash mitts.

Unfortunately I did get any after pictures. But I did get one better. Below I have 2 videos of the car and how it reacted to water.

The first is the car dirty. You will notice I comment on how the wheel are not beading or sheeting very well. The paint was not bad but it can be much better.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6I-auoHEew]CQuartz 10 Months Dirty[/video]

In the second video I have fully wash the car and pulled it back outside to play with the hose again. In my opinion the water beaded and sheeted much better after the wash. It is not as good as day one. But a shot of Reload or Permanon will have it back at full strength.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TqWZ5ha6XI]CQuartz 10 Months Clean[/video]

Final Thoughts:

So far the Cquartz seems to be holding well. It makes everything easier to clean and dry off. On the wheels I have needed nothing more than wash soap and water. There has been no need for a dedicated wheel cleaner. On the paint I am impressed. It is very easy to maintain and the beading is very good still.
    Honestly I am slightly disappointed with CQ on the wheels. Don't get me wrong they are super easy to clean still and they look good. But I was hoping they would still be reacting as good as the paint at this point. I am guessing that the amount of break dust and the heat has quite an effect on it.
    Overall I am very impressed with Cquartz. I will continue to monitor things and bring updates when needed.

Thanks for reading. Any comment and question are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW. Nice job!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Great review!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Great review and write up Troy !
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Woooo Baby, those are some great reviews and updates Troy!

CQuartzs is reported to be a quality coating providing a beautiful high gloss and some real protection.

I like the way the dirt and debris washed off that wheel! The paint itself looks so wet I'm leaning toward using this on my wife's Toyota Camry.....

Thanks for the great writeup and photos Troy!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliments guys. I just hope this helps out others as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review Troy!

So after 2 coats on paint and wheels, you have approximately 5ml left of a 30ml bottle? Is that correct?
    Thanks in advance.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post
    Awesome review Troy!

So after 2 coats on paint and wheels, you have approximately 5ml left of a 30ml bottle? Is that correct?
    Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the confusion. Started with 2 of the 30ml bottles. At the time the 50ml was not available.

I have a picture of how much I used after the wheels. I used approximately 15ml on just the 2 coats on the wheels alone.

So after doing the wheels and the paint I used around 55ml. Keep in mind I applied it very very "liberally". I think I could easily do a full car with 30ml as I have gotten much better in my application. But I am not sure that I could do a full 2 coats on paint and wheels with only 30ml.

Here is the amount of CQuartz I used to put 2 coats on the wheels.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast