autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tire Shine Showdown

I mentioned I was going to do a comparison between different tire gels since I have a few of them from samples and purchasing. Therefore I wanted to do a comparison to see which tire shine best fit my application and overall outcome that I desired. Please be aware that I am not a professional and am pretty new to this art.

The contenders were: DP Tire Gel, Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel, and Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel.

Here are my findings and results...

I started with this...

A clean tire, stripped down to the bare rubber.

I wanted to show you the initial application of gel vs the raw tire so these next few photos will show you a 50/50 shot of the first initial application vs the tire itself.

DP

Wolfgang

Blackfire

After finishing the last tire, I went back and reapplied, then even reapplied after that. I ended up putting about 3 coats of gel on each tire. I tried to wait about 30 minutes (as the DP requires that for reapplication), however I might have been a little short as I was estimating and wanted to get the project done.

Here are the final shots...

DP

Wolfgang

Blackfire

Here are my thoughts going through my head as I was applying the products.

The DP was very runny compared to the other 2. It almost seemed watered down. Yes I shook it, after I initially used it I even shook it again just to make sure. When applied it seemed to go on VERY thin. I understand the instructions ask you to apply thinly but it did that for you.

The Blackfire was thicker in consistency but it was not very consistent. It took almost to the 3rd coat for the tire to not really look "blotchy" and I was really surprised given the hype this gel gets. I expected more from this one and was definitely shocked.

The Wolfgang performed great. It applied nicely the first time around and has a great shine. It is the only one I have previously used and know it will have great durability. Time will only tell for the other 2.

My final thoughts...

The Wolfgang in my eyes, so far, wins hands down. It was the easiest and most consistently applied and has a nice dark shine. The Blackfire comes in second with still being able to produce a nice shine but it took more coats to have a "consistent" and not so much a "blotchy" look.
    The DP came in third, its not a horrible looking gel by any means and if you prefer a less shiny finish you should definitely look into investing into some as it does leave a good dark color but it is not nearly as shiny as the other 2.

I used yellow wax applicators for the testing, that might have had something to do with my mixed results. I did not want to cross contaminate the different gels by using the same applicator.

Feel free to leave feedback or suggestions as to what might have changed my outcome and I am more then willing to try this test another day to see if I get different results.

Yours Truly,

Michael
    Why was the Energizer Bunny arrested?... He was charged with battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Shine Showdown

I really like the look Wolfgang gave you. It fits my preference maybe I will grab a sample next order. I currently been using PERL and love it since you can control the level of shine by how many coats and dilution ratio I use. I do find on some tires all tire dressings act differently guess it depends on the different manufacture of tires.
    Ryan Gville,LA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcg1 View Post
    I really like the look Wolfgang gave you. It fits my preference maybe I will grab a sample next order. I currently been using PERL and love it since you can control the level of shine by how many coats and dilution ratio I use. I do find on some tires all tire dressings act differently guess it depends on the different manufacture of tires.
    I have PERL and it was my intention to put it up against the other 3 however I do not have any sort of bottle to put it in. I am curious as to how it stacks up.

As I mentioned I really liked Wolfgang the best. Even if you do not like a high shine you can always buff it down. Its nice to know that you have that option and have a good solid coat to start off with.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Michael,

I like the review and agree with your conclusions.

The Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel is definitely more shinny with progressively less with Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel and then Detailer’s Pro Series Gloss Tire Gel.

You touched on the look and consistency of both the BlackFire and Detailer’s Pro but how would you describe the Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel?

Example: Creamy, Clear, Red

I'm wondering about their durability and especially the change in appearance over the next few days out to about a week. Like most products, they begin to degrade soon after their application however tire rubber is more porous and dynamic as it's constantly flexing while driven.

Thanks for a great review and photos!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Great title.
    Excellent Pics.
    Informative.

Thanks hand for the post. Q. Are these products 'dry to the touch'?
    I have been using the same tire dressing(outside vendor) for 6 years and was wondering?
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Hi Michael,

I like the review and agree with your conclusions.

The Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel is definitely more shinny with progressively less with Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel and then Detailer’s Pro Series Gloss Tire Gel.

You touched on the look and consistency of both the BlackFire and Detailer’s Pro but how would you describe the Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel?

Example: Creamy, Clear, Red

I'm wondering about their durability and especially the change in appearance over the next few days out to about a week. Like most products, they begin to degrade soon after their application however tire rubber is more porous and dynamic as it's constantly flexing while driven.

Thanks for a great review and photos!!
    You brought up a good point Bobby, I did not mention the consistency of the others. The Wolfgang and Blackfire almost had an erie sorta similarity to consistency. Blackfire is reddish pinkish in color when the wolfgang is cream colored. They both had a thicker consistency, the only thing else I can add to that is the Blackfire seemed to "take better" to additional coats. Where it seemed to improve each time the others actually sorta beaded up to the added gel and almost disregarded it.

Since this is a daily driven vehicle and regularly thrown at all the elements, including dust and debris, I will update on the consistency. I know there will be different effects from the front tires to the rear but since the top 2 performers are on the rear of the truck (where I am assuming the most abuse will be) this should be a good test for durability.

Thank you for your kind words. And I hope that I have helped some in some shape or form to make a little more educated decision on some products. Hopefully I can learn from this review and experience so that I can review other products I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    Great title.
    Excellent Pics.
    Informative.

Thanks hand for the post. Q. Are these products 'dry to the touch'?
    I have been using the same tire dressing(outside vendor) for 6 years and was wondering?
    Thank you sir.

My camera thanks you as well. It was the only casualty of the day. First time I ever dropped that dang thing. Its an old camera (have had it since 05) and was in perfect condition until todays photo shoot. OOPS!

The Blackfire seemed to dry the quickest and I would be willing to bet it was dry to the touch, with Wolfgang in second and DP being last. Unfortunately I did not even think to see if they were dry to the touch. If I do another review that includes the PERL I will attempt that test as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I had a feeling WG was going to take it.
    WG was the best after 3 coats, but how about 1 coat.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post
    Nice review. I had a feeling WG was going to take it.
    WG was the best after 3 coats, but how about 1 coat.
    Wolfgang took prize in every category. I bet I could have left 1 coat on and coated the others 3 times and it still would have looked the best. I wanted to make sure I gave them all a fighting chance to ensure I was getting the darkest, shiniest tire possible out of the products.

You know I was really thinking the Blackfire was going to take the cake. Secretly I was hoping I was not going to be able to tell a difference to any of them since I just bit on one of the last bogos that had the DP gel on BOGO lol.

I gotta be unbiased though, it would not be fair to anyone else if I tried to make something sound better just to pacify and justify my own buying habits.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the reasons I ask is I have Wolfgang's Black Diamond Tire Gel, in fact I have two of them and this is what the contents of the bottle looks like. Thinking that one was defective I opened the other and they're identical.

This is a liquid and simply pours out of the bottle.....

I was wondering if yours looked similar?

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast